Stereophile Reviews the JBL 4367, finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereophile Reviews the JBL 4367, finally

These have been my main speakers since 2016, so I've been waiting awhile for this review. I am curios as to why now, but better late than never.
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/...or-loudspeaker

One reason why is alluded to in the review: these don't "look" like home speakers, especially considering the price. It's also interesting that the reviewer doesn't really compare them to other current speaker models, or even any from the last 50 or so years, although up-to-date associated components are used.
    Tascam BR-20
    Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head and custom repro amp
    Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
    Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
    MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
    Pass Labs INT60
    Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
    REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
    Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio cables
    Core Power Equi=Power 1800 Mk3
    Adona rack; Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

Originally posted by rbbert View Post
      One reason why is alluded to in the review: these don't "look" like home speakers, especially considering the price. It's also interesting that the reviewer doesn't really compare them to other current speaker models, or even any from the last 50 or so years, although up-to-date associated components are used.
      He compared them to his Altec speakers.
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• rbbert
        rbbert commented
        Editing a comment
        Which I believe are more than 50 years old, or at least first manufactured more than 50 years ago…

• mep
        mep commented
        Editing a comment
        You said 50 or so years ago so you're splitting hairs.

• rbbert
        rbbert commented
        Editing a comment
        Huh? my original statement is still valid. there are no comparisons with speakers made in the last 50 years.
        edit: I didn't realize that "re-manufacture" of these occurred in the early 2000's. I would say that you are the one splitting hairs (LOL, smirk) but I think we each have a valid POV

Is there any JBL DNA left in JBL speakers since Harman bought the brand?
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Audioraven
        Audioraven commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably not much. But that happened far before harman's takeover.

• mep
        mep commented
        Editing a comment
        The JBL DNA left on September 15, 2015.

I previously owned "modern speakers" with lowish efficiency and a hilly (but not quite mountainous) impedance curves. They took fairly powerful amplifiers to bring them to life, that is below a certain threshold they sounded dull. My current speakers are about 96 dB 8 ohm with benign impedance curves. Call it jump factor or whatever, they swing. Dynamic in a big way.

A friend runs modified Klipsch speakers with an ancient rebuilt Mac 240. Jazz is eerily present.

Looking at a lot of modern speakers it seems they haven't quite successfully reinvented the wheel yet. If a speaker requires a monstrous 500, 1,000 or 1,500 watt amplifier to bring it to life, I'm sorry, I don't consider that to be good design. That's a brute force solution.

Comment

• rbbert
        rbbert commented
        Editing a comment
        Quite a few modern speakers are 96 dB or more efficient, with fairly benign impedance curves. Even the “big names” (e.g., Magico, Wilson) have some very efficient models.

When I was a kid a family member had James B. Lansing speakers. Made in Mexico is somewhat insulting at that price.

Comment

• mep
        mep commented
        Editing a comment
        I just know where the reviewer in SP said they are made.

• seamonster
        seamonster commented
        Editing a comment
        In any case, it's a shame.

• Audioraven
        Audioraven commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with the seamonster.
    Working...
    X