Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Wilson Do You Own? (Take The Poll!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you guys with new Wilsons and mine aren't even on the list of choices! Wilson Maxx2.

I've never been blown away by the Watt Puppies myself, though I've listened to them on numerous occasions because a local dealer kept wanting to sell me a pair. I've had excellent imaging before (Spica Angelus, Martin Logan CLS) and excellent highs (CLS and Energy Reference Connoisseurs) but the Maxx wrap it all up in one package and add clean powerful bass (3db down = 20 hz)

I think that there are many people that simply expect a certain boominess or over-hang in bass from anything with decent bottom end extension and the friends that have listened to the Maxx always comment that the bass happens....and then it stops and ins't there any more, like that was some sort of minto miracle, which I suppose with many speakers it is. I could probably do without Dave Wilson's approach of making speakers that are also fashion statements (mine are painted not in Ford Minivan silver, but in 2006 Ferrari Nurburgring Argento, a fact that probably added a couple of thousand to their original list price.

As a consumer, I find Richard Vandersteen's (old - have you seen the 7s?) approach - put all the money into design and components and then stick a big sock over it to keep the price reasonable.

Sitting here listening to Bach's Six Sonatas for violin and harpsichord on old RCA mono, those considerations kind of evaporate and what remains is the great sound. Pardon me while I flip the record......
    Main:VPI TNT V, SME V, Koetsu Urushi, Vendetta SCP2-D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Conrad Johnson Premier 11a, Wilson Maxx 2

#2 Sota Cosmos, SME V, Lyra Clavis, Audio Research SP-14, Conrad Johnson Premier 15 phono, Classe DR3 VHC, Martin Logan CLS

#3 Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos + PSE V monos (bass), Vandersteen 4A

Comment

I have heard the alexia a few times. Very nice clean sound
      not magical for me and not an image type speaker for me. Like being upclose Ina fish bowl I like loud at a distance
      wonder speakers though

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
        I have heard the alexia a few times. Very nice clean sound
        not magical for me and not an image type speaker for me. Like being upclose Ina fish bowl I like loud at a distance
        wonder speakers though
        Do you mean that you found the imaging to be substandard?

I listened to a pair and found them pretty decent. Ultimately I preferred my Maxx, but the Aleia is definitely from the same stable. The imaging on the Maxx is second to some other speakers I've owned - Spicas, ML CLS, but it is very good. The Alexias also seemed pretty focussed to me.

The other thing the Wilsons seem to do is both soft and loud passages. On some classical pieces (can't bring one to mind at the moment) they start very softly almost as if coming from a far, and then build to a much louder level. I've listened to quite a few speakers that do the sturm und drang quite well, but lose the magic with the really soft passages. My Maxx aren't like that but my limited audition of the Alexias leave me unable to comment on that aspect.
        Main:VPI TNT V, SME V, Koetsu Urushi, Vendetta SCP2-D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Conrad Johnson Premier 11a, Wilson Maxx 2

#2 Sota Cosmos, SME V, Lyra Clavis, Audio Research SP-14, Conrad Johnson Premier 15 phono, Classe DR3 VHC, Martin Logan CLS

#3 Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos + PSE V monos (bass), Vandersteen 4A

Comment

Wilson Audio Sophia 2 speakers, not on the list or is the current models
          Hi-Fi
          ProAc Response K6 Speakers - McIntosh Labs MA8000 - Mytek Brooklyn DAC - Aurender N100H Music Server - Cyrus CDi Player - Cyrus Signature Phono stage - Clearaudio Concept Wood Turntable, Concept MC Cartridge - Nordost Quantum Q4 - Chord Cables Signature USB - Transparent Ultra Gen5 Speaker cables - Transparent Power cables...
          Headphone Listening
          Audeze LCD-XC Headphones - Audeze iSine10 In Ear - Schiit Audio Jotunheim Headphone Amplifier - Meridian Explorer2 DAC - AXIOS Cables...

Comment

Alexx owner from Singapore
            Big shout out to fellow wilson audio loudspeakers owners!

Comment

Sophia 2's
              Magico M-Project, CAT JL7s, preamp?, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/Black Beauty/Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95, Roon->dCS Vivaldi, KS Elation ICs & SCs, Shunyata PC's

Comment

Working...
              X