Avantgarde Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avantgarde Speakers

Are there any distributors in the USA? If so who are they?

Originally posted by jcmusic View Post
    Are there any distributors in the USA? If so who are they?
    The only stores I know of are Angie Lisi's American Sound in Canada and Mike Bovaird's Suncoast Audio in FL. Sure there are others. Seems like have to send the company an email to find a store near you.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I think Alex at Alma Music in La Jolla is a dealer, as is Mike at Suncoast Audio. I'm not sure who the U.S. distributor is these days but agree with Myles that you should write to the manufacturer in Germany to ask-- they are usually pretty responsive. I bought mine at the tail end of Jim Smith's tenure as the U.S. importer, and I know that a few different folks handled the line in the States after that. I still really like my Duos, but will gratuitously offer that:
      1. set up and positioning are absolutely critical, as is true with most speakers;
      2. the speaker, at least the older Duo, is unusually sensitive to associated equipment and otherwise good electronics may or may not shine with them--they are ruthless in revealing noise, grounding anomalies and mediocre source material;
      3. they really seem to shine with the Lamm SET--i know that others have had success with a range of amps, including much bigger power amps, but there does seem to be something synergistic about Vlad's 18 watts and those Duos.
      4. Bass integration is a constant issue, at least with the older models. Horn midrange and dynamic bass are very hard to gel-- get the bass right and it is out of proportion to the midrange; get the speaker balanced top to bottom, and the bass is reticent.
      Otherwise, enjoy the ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
        I think Alex at Alma Music in La Jolla is a dealer, as is Mike at Suncoast Audio. I'm not sure who the U.S. distributor is these days but agree with Myles that you should write to the manufacturer in Germany to ask-- they are usually pretty responsive. I bought mine at the tail end of Jim Smith's tenure as the U.S. importer, and I know that a few different folks handled the line in the States after that. I still really like my Duos, but will gratuitously offer that:
        1. set up and positioning are absolutely critical, as is true with most speakers;
        2. the speaker, at least the older Duo, is unusually sensitive to associated equipment and otherwise good electronics may or may not shine with them--they are ruthless in revealing noise, grounding anomalies and mediocre source material;
        3. they really seem to shine with the Lamm SET--i know that others have had success with a range of amps, including much bigger power amps, but there does seem to be something synergistic about Vlad's 18 watts and those Duos.
        4. Bass integration is a constant issue, at least with the older models. Horn midrange and dynamic bass are very hard to gel-- get the bass right and it is out of proportion to the midrange; get the speaker balanced top to bottom, and the bass is reticent.
        Otherwise, enjoy the ride!
        I wonder how they would sound with that new Nagra 20 wpc triode amplifier? I've been impressed with the sound of the new Nagra electronics.

The Nagra 300p power amplifier is designed to get the c…
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
        -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• bonzo75
          bonzo75 commented
          Editing a comment
          I heard the trios with their own 150w class A, audionote 300b 9w integrated which couldn't control it, and airtight 300b 9w integrated which worked very well. Also heard it in a separate room with Tom Evans, and that dealer (soundgalleries) usually uses the 30w audiopax, just like Asiufy. So the Nagra should be fine.I normally find Nagra a bit too laid back and less drive for my taste, but might work on trios.

The bass integration problem that Bill referred to is a problem with duos which I never liked but I loved the trios

Hi,

The US distributor is American Sound (Angie Lisi), who also happen to distribute in Canada
        I'm a dealer for the brand even before Angie picked up the line, when they had no proper distribution in the US.
        I do agree with much of what Bill wrote...

1) Set up is critical as with most speakers, but mostly because you just need the space for the horns to coalesce into a single sound source. Sit too close and the magic is completely gone, and they become shouty and aggressive. Properly positioned, Avantgarde horns do pretty much everything a cone speaker does, soundstaging, depth, etc.
        2) Yes, the high efficiency perhaps make them a magnifying glass looking into the rest of your setup. You can get by with bad SS on traditional ol' speaker designs, but not with Avantgarde. I haven't found the source to matter much, actually, so much that a lot of my average recordings (the old prog rock that I like so much) sound better on the Avantgardes than just about anything else. Perhaps because of the immediacy and the drive of the horns, I don't know...
        3) While 18W-25W will do, the improvement 50W will have on Avantgardes is immediate. I know what those 18W Lamms can do on lesser speakers, so I can't imagine they not sounding absolutely fantastic on Avantgardes.
        4) I think the bass integration thing is exaggerated. Or maybe I don't hear it. It does take quite a bit of time to set up the older models, because of their old school rotary dial setup. But once dialed into a room, I had no issues. But yeah, you change those settings just a smidge, and bass can get all wrong... And now with the XD models, set up is a breeze, specially if you know your room well and what kind of adjustments you need (frequecies).

cheers,
        alex

Disclosure:
        Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
        Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
        [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Alex! I thought Angie was the distributor but wasn't sure.

Isn't Jim Smith a member here? I've always considered his marketing job of Avantgardes Speakers when it first appeared in NA was one of the best audio marketing campaigns I had withnessed. Then he was out. What happened? Inquiring mind wants to know.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I wonder how they would sound with that new Nagra 20 wpc triode amplifier? I've been impressed with the sound of the new Nagra electronics.
          I recently heard their top of the line models and they were driven with Avangarde's own amplifier which has a whopping 7 Watts or so. So 20 W so do fine.

Comment

I can't help with USA dealers, but I have had a pair of AG Duos now for about 10 years. The European model designation is not exactly the same as the US, but they would be the equivalent of the Duo 2.2 with the Sub 225 bass units.

Set up is very important and if you get the sub integration correct, it's not by any means as bad as some people report. Electronic circuit noise will be ruthlessly revealed by the 104 dB/W (or higher) AG horns. I use TRON electronics (older Meteor preamp - predecessor of the Syren and a 6W SET Voyager using the EML 20B driver as a power valve). Sounds sublime and very quiet when there's no music on. By comparison, I have used a pair of rebuilt Quad IIs (which had no circuit noise and sounded very good) and a Radford STA15/III (awful as the circuit noise was really obtrusive).

Comment

Ok guys thanks for the replys, if I choose to go this route I would using an SET amp that puts out a Whooping 2 WPC!!! Which BTW is the one I am using now ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
                Isn't Jim Smith a member here? I've always considered his marketing job of Avantgardes Speakers when it first appeared in NA was one of the best audio marketing campaigns I had withnessed. Then he was out. What happened? Inquiring mind wants to know.
                I was their North American distributor from late 1999-2005.

I resigned not because of any issues other than the exchange rate. Back when I set the US prices (1999), the euro was 86 cents per dollar. Five years later, it was around $1.25.

Avantgarde couldn't reduce their prices (based on the EURO), and the dealers couldn't take less dealer margin.

Since there were no upgraded products in that time frame, I was exceedingly uncomfortable raising prices (on existing products) the necessary 45-50% or so that was required to keep from losing money with each sale. In 2005, we tried to come up with some agreeable adjustments, but it just wasn't in the cards. I resigned in October, 2005.

I still have high regard for Holger, Matthias, & Armin - and their products.

Comment

• Rob
                  Rob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jim, I caught your roadshow when you came through Newport Beach, this was probably around '02. That demo w/ Avantgarde Duos left a lasting impression. I was trying to find a way to acquire a set and more importantly find sufficient space, I had a townhouse back then.

• Ki Choi
                  Ki Choi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now, I know. Thanks, Jim.

Ribbons and horns rule for me. There is fast , detailed sound to horns that's pleasing to me.
                analog stuff.
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Angie Lisi is the North American Distributor and Mike Bovaird is the premier dealer in the USA.

Ken
                  "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
                  --------------------------------------------
                  Source: MSB Select II DAC with
                  Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
                  Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
                  Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
                  Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
                  Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Comment

Mike is a great guy to do business with.
                    analog stuff.
                    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Thank you for the kind words. The XD technology has removed the older bass integration issue. Today, it's seamless.

Here are some recent photos from a Trio XD install, the Zero TA XD's in the store and my own personal pair of Duo Mezzo XD's.

If you come to Florida and meet me at the store (Suncoast Audio), you can hear Zero's, Duo's and Trio's.

Comment

• Rob
                        Rob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        very nice.

• Ki Choi
                        Ki Choi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Where in FL, Mike? I was in Sarasota last week... I want to hear the Trios eventually...
                        Did you ever get a tape machine? Playing tapes through highly sensitive horns - that's a deadly combination!

Great photos, Mike, thanks for posting! I heard the Avantgarde Zero speakers and amp with the new Bergmann air bearing turntable at Axpona and it sounded terrific. The system sounded very liquid and was emotionally engaging. It was one of my favorite rooms at the show and I went back and revisited it three times. If these are their entry level speakers, I cannot even imagine what their higher models sound like.

Best,
                      Ken
                      "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
                      --------------------------------------------
                      Source: MSB Select II DAC with
                      Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
                      Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
                      Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
                      Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
                      Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Comment

Working...