Learning how old speakers sound very different

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning how old speakers sound very different

in the past year I have done many things to my old speakers , it's been a journey . New cross overs , new connections through out . New custom room for them. Positions nine them has been a big choire too. Moving 500 pound speakers is no treat the whole set is about 1500 pounds . I never good dial them in like most do. What I did today is not over I know this , but they are very different speakers. Playing my ref tunes proves this to me. Staging is solid but tones have changed a bit. Setting the bass tower output level is just beginning but as I make changes its obvious what has changed. It's like it's all in place and now it's just tune them. What killing me more than the new sound is the placement needed. It makes me wonder what were they thinking when they made them. As my picture shows I look right at one one tower .

There is no picture attached, Al. But, what you are describing, the painstaking incremental repositioning of multiple, heavy elements and additional adjustments that all interact with each other and the room is also true of newer speakers too. I am starting in a new room, not quite at the speaker set up stage yet- still having cable pulled-- but switching rooms, or changing the set up of a system, can be a hell of a lot of work.

Comment

Comment

Is that still a work in progress? Or will you be leaving the right woofer in the middle? I haven't heard that speaker in years, the last time i did, it was in a room with higher ceilings than yours, big room by most people's standards, but not huge. Rockport table, can't remember what preamp, VTL amps. Sounded pretty good. Long time ago...

Comment

Here is the deal. When you have two woofer columns that are in phase they add in the middle. Now I did not know this I was told and I am not quoting them in any way. But the point is I needed to be outside the bump on the side
          to do this I had to move the right woofer tower to the middle and the left woofer tower is to the left off the wall about one foot. The room is 20 feet wide and 9 feet high and about 50 feet deep. Moving my seat foward or back helped the bump. But even at 18 feet back from them I am up 20 DB at 100 hertz. But if I went to one side the bump was gone. I noticed this but had no idea why. I am told if I use dsp and put the towers about 20 degrees out of phase to each tower the bump will cancel. My room has no acoustic devices at all. It was built for these and sound proofed. I admit it looks odd but the sound is off the hook
          I do have a Deqx HPD 4'and a express I could use it to fix the woofer towers and then use it to fix the timing for them. And I guess I will possible I have a support package with audio frontiers for them. What I don't get is how many pictures I see on the web of these and they all look centered. The finish of the room I may never get to do as I am ill amd planning to swell them when I done playing them. Crazy right.

Comment

50 feet is a pretty long room! Al, you could do a viking thing with them when you go.

Comment

Hahahha so true maby I could get drunk and burn the place down with me .

Comment

I don't think anyone will quibble that there's still life in some of the best of the old speaker designs. Only you better be sure this is THE one since you will never get the money out of them you will invest in updates.
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

A good point but look at it this way. For me to get near anything like will be a pretty penny. Over the years I would est I have invested about 15K or so. Not bad really if one considers the cost of new. I have heard many hiend and each time before I do I remain open and feel the new will blow away mine. For me while others are very nice it's not like mine is. Could be I am used to what they are as well.
                  Anyway if we do meet I am sure you will be impressed by what you do hear. How well they are in accuracy i have no idea. If and when I would like very much your honest view of them. And I do mean honest not need for bullshit please. I have been making a list of what to play. And of course you can pick from my servers anything you wish.

Comment

Working...
                  X