Magico Q5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magico Q5

I would like to hear what you think about Magico Q5 speakers. Is there anyone who owns this model ? My dealer will offer me a second hand Q5 when he trades them against new M6's. I am very much happy with my S5's but also considering this option. I know Q line will soon be discontinued but it doesn't matter for me.
    Magico S5, Pass Labs XA160.8, Audio Research Ref40 Anniversary, Audio Research Ref 2 Phono, dCS Rossini DAC, dCS Rossini Clock, Synology NAS, Transparent Ref XL cables, Shunyata Sigma Digital power cord, Acoustic Solid One Turntable with Acoustic Solid tonearm and Triplanar Mk. VII, Transfiguration Phoenix, Vandenhul MC1, Benz Gulwing SLR

Originally posted by geceon View Post
    I would like to hear what you think about Magico Q5 speakers. Is there anyone who owns this model ? My dealer will offer me a second hand Q5 when he trades them against new M6's. I am very much happy with my S5's but also considering this option. I know Q line will soon be discontinued but it doesn't matter for me.
    I'm not the biggest Q fan. What do you think you are gaining going from your S5 to Q5? Would you be better off saving and getting the new S5 mk. 2? To me that has the greatest probability for real improvement rather than lateralization.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

To me the Q series remind me of the early YG's. All the tricks and none of the magic. Both lines have gotten a lot better. I agree with what Myles had to say.
      SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
      DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
      PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
      PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
      AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
      SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
      CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

I heard the Q5's a couple of years ago in HK. Sound was excellent and build quality and look so much better than the S series imo. They need a strong amp.
        . I would definitely consider a Q5 over a S5 .

can't you have a listen to both at the dealer and decide your self?

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          The build quality is different, not necessarily better. There are things built into the the S5s cabinet that the Q-series doesn't have. Take the rounded top. Seems innocuous but makes a big difference in the sound. Or the internal midrange enclosure started in the S3 Mk. 1 and then incorporated into the S5 Mk. 2. Makes a big difference too. Rounding of the cabinet. Not to mention the parts and drivers in the S5 vs. Q5. And the new Magicos such as the S7 and 5 are much, much easier to drive. Of course, the 3 woofers decrease floor bounce and could make a difference in bass. But the new Spods really make a pronounced difference in the lows especially when it comes to precision and definition.

• geceon
          geceon commented
          Editing a comment
          I currently own a pair of S5 and very much happy with them and I agree with most of the things that Myles has commented but there are few things I disagree. First of all when we leave M Project aside the S7 is the best sounding speaker they have ever built. I am sorry but I did not enjoy neither M3 nor S5Mk2. They bought sound forward to my hears. Especially, if you audition them with Soulution amplifiers , I cannot stay in the room to long. The S7 is totally different. It sound laid back without losing any detail and makes a huge soundstage. If I had enough money , I would not buy anything but S7. ( For the M6 have no idea at all but I thing should be the very best because M Project was a masterpiece ) I will audition the second hand Q5 at the dealer when it comes for trade in. So I will make my decision.
      Working...
      X