The Audio Beat: Wilson Audio Alexx Loudspeakers Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Audio Beat: Wilson Audio Alexx Loudspeakers Review

Here is Marc Mickelson's review of Wilson's Alexx speakers at The Audio Beat.

Interesting read. Thanks.
    Christian
    System Gear

Comment

We're enjoying the Alexia 2 a lot, and this review is kinda making me wish we had gone for Alexx instead
      Disclosure:
      Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
      Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
      [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Alex - what do you hear from the series 2 that is different from the orginal Alexias?

Only an impression but I think the Alexia and Alexx are two totally beasts. Especially when the Alexxs are say powered by the d'Ag amplifiers. Too bad Mark couldn't wrangle a listen with those amps. The d'Ags really control the Alexxs and are super transparent and dynamic. That's the thing with speakers on this level. They really reveal everything in front of them and it is really useful to have as much different gear around to get a grasp upon the speakers "sound."
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Hello Myles, wondering if you got to hear the Alexx in the Nagra HD room at CES this year and if so, how would that compare to the Dags? I believe Nagra may also have the HD preamp at RMAF this year.
        I suspect Michael Fremer's Dartzeel 458 and 18NS combo is also phenomenal with his Alexx. He is the only one I have ever come across using Dartzeel with Wilson speakers. Have you ever had a chance to listen to his system? Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
          Only an impression but I think the Alexia and Alexx are two totally beasts. Especially when the Alexxs are say powered by the d'Ag amplifiers. Too bad Mark couldn't wrangle a listen with those amps. The d'Ags really control the Alexxs and are super transparent and dynamic. That's the thing with speakers on this level. They really reveal everything in front of them and it is really useful to have as much different gear around to get a grasp upon the speakers "sound."
          Who wouldn't want a pair hanging around their room. Wilson often demos with the Momentum monoblocks. I'll speculate, knowing Marc, that if he had those amps his review wouldn't be any different. :-)

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Different no. Just another perspective on the speaker's strengths. Perhaps even better than thought. I was never a Krell fanboy but Dan's new amps are very special.

... and with the Thor Hammer subs.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/wil...ors_hammer.htm
          Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: Lamm 1.2 Reference; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

The Alexx sound terrific when driven with the Goldmund Nextgen series too

Comment

Working...
            X