X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Magnepans - 30.7

Let the fun begin...

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...aker-part-one/

Interesting, they sound like mightily impressive speakers for the money. Two things these speakers are going to need a lot of...space and power. I'm not sure about the bright candy blue color though & hope they offer a range of finishes when the speakers are released.
    Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

I agree interesting if Magnepans are sold in my area I do not know by who.
      So the same kick against them as any planner gets and they are power hungry same old same old in that area.
      Now a super speaker who's biggest fault is that it does not cost enough
      funny stuff I would like to hear them .
      As to the colour problem listen at night turn the lights off ( A lot of todays speakers look much better in the dark then again so do most of Us )

Comment

• Bodhi
        Bodhi commented
        Editing a comment
        Garth, I grew up with speakers like the Infinity Kappa 9's and IRS-V's which needed a lot of space and power, but dang did those speakers sound good. You just threw big iron at them like Krell and Threshold with some ARC tubes up top & enjoyed the music. If you have the room, there are big powerful ss amps which could drive these speakers which wont break the bank like the Merrell amps Myles just reviewed, and the big Luxman and Pass XA.8 series amps.

I personally don't have the room for these big dipoles in my apartment space, so for my needs the Magico S5 Mk2's were the best choice. But if I one day build an house and setup a dedicated treated listening room, I will be keen to see what Magnepan are building then. They have always represented exceptional value for money. And how they might just have the low end extension and definition to seal the deal.

• Garth
        Garth commented
        Editing a comment
        I had and still have not using the Infinity QLS drove them with Mac 2205s vertically bi amped then a CJ P1b
        Now i have martin logans CLXs run by Ayre mxrs 20s
        I have a big room 4 martin subs stacked good for movie night

• Bodhi
        Bodhi commented
        Editing a comment
        Garth you've got a nice stable of speakers there. I always wondered how the vintage QLS sounded. I bet they sound very good with their 8 front-firing Emits and rear-firing Emit. There was a really nice restored pair on US Audiomart earlier this year which would have been a good deal. I agree for HT use you need a stack of large dynamic drivers. CLX's paired with the Balanced Force subs are apparently a nice combo. My favorite panel speakers were the TSW resto'd Apogee Full Ranges up to the new Magnepan 30.7's being released. Now a new King has been crowned .

very interesting, its also their first foray into multi-panel speaker since the Tympani (one of my all time favorite speakers). Id love to hear these too.
      Front End: Basis Audio Ovation / Rockport 6000 / VdH Colibri XCP Head Amp: Music Reference RM-4 Preamp: Audio Research SP-3 (Curcio) Power Amp: Marantz 8b Speakers: Quad ESL 57 (McCollum) Cable: DIY / Canare

Comment

I have always loved planer , ribbon , or what ever else plays in both front and back. Apogee is also a favorite. I cannot and don't want to get into tech of the many voirents of them. In headphones planners also soind best to me. The only kind of membrain that falls short for me is stats and I have a few sets of those too. A wall of sound is where it's at for me. So most any point source is a level below regardless of who. I think the size is important to me . So no 4 foot tall speakers do it for me as well. Not saying they are not great some are and if I had a limited room it would be fine.
        Having said this the new ones look like a contender to me. Scale is important to me as such tall and wide matters . I think the best sounding speakers need or have multiple drivers for each range.
        Genisi , Nola , old infinity and yes all the large planner types like Maggie and apogee. The one and only draw back for me is bass integration . The woofers must be set low in freq this is where faults come in. My old IRS v do this very well and the new g1 do as well. These new ones look like they may found a way to solve this.

Comment

• Bodhi
          Bodhi commented
          Editing a comment
          Al, in dynamic speakers you might like the sound of the Magico S7's which use an array of 3 x 10" bass drivers & give you that wall of sound you talked about. They also sound linear down to about low 20Hz, and are rated to 20Hz on paper. With that said, planar ribbons are fun. I owned Infinity reference 60's, and later Renaissance 90's. The Ren 90's sounded amazing for the money, but needed a lot of power for those Wakins woofers. I heard the IRS-V's in 1991 which are still my reference standard to this day. Though I haven't heard them all by any means.

Would like to hear a pair in a large room with lots of power, I would bet they will sound great. (and I really like the blue)
        SOURCE: VINYL -VPI HR-X, 12.7 arm, ADS - Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Benz LPS-mr. DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/dac. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures w/ YG binding post upgrade. CABLES: Audioquest and Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

I like the blue too. It must be the age lol. It’s candy apple blue or close I had many street race cars and that or close was a favorite.

Comment

I heard the 20.1 at a show powered by some ARC Ref 150 watt amps. I was completely blown away. IMHO blew away the D'Agostio/Wilson demo. The D'A amps only had 2 hours on them so that was a little unfair. But, I was spellbound by the power and sound. So alive and full of fun. I would have bought a pair, but they need to sit something like 4 to 5 feet off the back wall. That would not work in my living room.
            Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

Comment

When you here a full panel that has the weight and details that hang in space it’s tough to go back to point source.
              I don’t know how good or bad or correct mine are
              but as you play a stage is massive and a tough act to follow for smaller scale speakers and point source as well.
              Wish I would have gone to the show.
              The nyc show stinks but it’s all I can do.
              Thanks for sharing your thoughts. So the new ones were not on display ?

Comment

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                this is very true re panels and line sources in general, take Johnny Hodges' Blues A-Plenty, he's there in the room full scale heard through Maggies. Played back through a point source he's shrunk down to a 2 foot high facsimile thereof. but if you're soundstage obsessed as in recreating the precise placement with gobs of layering, a miniature (think Proac Tablette, LS3/5a, Raidho X1 and the like) heard in the nearfield are unbeatable. this is why i keep different speakers around to mix things up when I'm bored.

Yes agreed a stage form planners or the line is a real stage for me. Not exact and it’s what I like. Radio is a wonder speaker that imagines nice as well.
              It does come down to likes

Comment

So aside from the hideous color scheme, if these guys really compete with the Top Dogs from Raidho, Gryphon, Von Sweikert, Tidal, ETC then OMG 401K watch out....I feel the rumble....I truly hope they pan out as great as early impressions suggest...I always loved Maggies...
                Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI Mag Drive / Rim Drive HRX w Avenger Reference footers, 2 - 12" VPI 3DR tonearms, 1 - 12" VPI Stainless Steel tonearm, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Truth Mod OPPO 105, Western Electric Speaker wire, DIY & Discovery interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

Outstanding...this may make many people rethink their speaker choice. The problem of space will keep them from being as widely adopted as they might but they will grab a lot of recognition. As a long time Maggie-phile...kudos.
                  Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
                  https://www.edsstuff.org
                  TT: VPI Prime, HRX Pulley, 3 Belt Drive, VPI Dual Pivot, VPI ADS, Ortofon Quintet Black S, Tru-Lift, AQ Leopard, Liberty Audio B2B-1.1
                  Line Stage: *Audible Illusions L1
                  Pwr Amp: Parasound Halo A21
                  Speakers: Magnepan MMC2
                  Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, NAD 446, Schiit Modi Multibit, Schiit Wyrd
                  Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Loki, HiFi Man HE-400S

*Modified/Customized Component

Comment

Got to get me a pair...

Comment

• Rob
                      Rob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      me too and bigger house!

• Joe Pittman
                      Joe Pittman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ki, will those fit in your room downstairs?

• Bodhi
                      Bodhi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ki Choi, when is the GTG?

Just wanted to point out that according to Magnepan, they'll be available in any color the customer wants.

As a longtime Tympani owner (1-D's and now IVA's), I'm really excited about these, if a bit envious . . .

Comment

• Rob
                      Rob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      what are you driving you Tympani's with and are the bi-amped? BTW, welcome aboard.
                  Working...
                  X