No announcement yet.

The Decade of the Super Speaker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If everyone agreed on what the best was, there wouldn't be fifty or more companies making the "best". Doesn't matter what component it is really, speakers, wire, cartridges, turntables, pre-amps, amps ad nauseum, Everyone is searching for their definition of what constitutes best. It's like looking for the single best piece of music which might open a bigger can of worms.

Comment

Seems like a lot if people are equating best with scale. There are a lot of people who want point source bookshelf speakers. Or maybe a small "pretty " speaker that speaks big. I personally want to shrink my speaker. Bodhi has the small NYC apt like many others who want great sound. I was floored by a set of Raidho X1 at a show. Of course I piped up and commented on the 2 massive monoblocks powering them. Maybe a great speaker is one that is small, but plays just right in most peoples 14'x20'x8' room. Isn't that what is elusive to manufacturer.
      Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

Comment

• fcrowder
        fcrowder commented
        Editing a comment
        I note that the title of the thread is "Super Speakers" which is not necessarily the same as "best". Ideally, you would hope that the two converge but that has not always been the case. What these super speakers do offer in spades is the ability to move large quantities of air. Small bookshelf speakers just cannot move the volume of air necessary to recreate large symphonic works. In other areas, they may equal or even exceed a "super" speaker.

• Bodhi
        Bodhi commented
        Editing a comment
        All good points Fred. I guess in my case, the Magico S5 Mk2 were the biggest speakers I could afford which ticked all the boxes, most important of which was room coupling. In a smaller space, bookshelf speakers can still produce good stage size & full range sound with some help from a sub. Infinity were doing that successfully back in the 90's with the Modulus system which comprised satellite speakers with integrated sand-filled stands & a 12" servo-controlled subwoofer.

Myles,

You can add MBL, Raidho, Rockport, Estelon, Sonus Faber, Von Schweikert, Marten, Avant Garde, Martin Logan and TAD to your list.

Best,
      Ken
      Sources: Esoteric Grandioso K1 Player
      Berkeley Alpha Reference DAC Series 2 MQA
      Preamp: Audio Research Reference 10
      Amplifiers: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
      Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
      Cables: AudioQuest Wild Blue Yonder
      Power Conditioner: Audience AR6-TSSOX
      Power Cords: Audience AU24SE

Comment

• Bodhi
        Bodhi commented
        Editing a comment
        My friend recently bought Marten Coltrane Supreme 2's. He's interstate, so I'm looking forward to flying up for a short break & listen to his awesome rooms. His second room has YG Sonja's!

• fcrowder
        fcrowder commented
        Editing a comment
        I would also suggest adding the Acapella Sphaeron's or for that matter their Triolon's or Poseidon's which each tick all the boxes for me.

Evolution Acoustics should be there too.

Comment

• bonzo75
        bonzo75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike's MM7 in his room is the THE Supreme speaker for sure

Sorry but none of these are super speakers, just super prices. They pale in size and sonics compared to apogee grands, which, even on inflation based pricing would have been 350k today, or to Yamamura, or the western electrics from 100 years ago that the owner of Hyundai brings to Munich every year. These don't even have superiority in moving air

incidentally, my favorite DIY horn is 15k Euro, and twice the width of the focal Stella utopia (As focal was mentioned here), 2.5 times the depth, and taller. Two 18 inch woofers in each speaker. Now that moves air, and much faster.

The days of super speakers are gone, and these are the days of the speaker that best manages the trade off with small size and large sound.

Comment

• Bodhi
        Bodhi commented
        Editing a comment
        To clarify Bonzo, Do you believe to qualify as a Super speaker it has to have an actual or equivalent value of something like a Genesis Dragon or higher? FWIW my favorite Apogee was the Full Range. Resto'd examples with Graz ribbons are pretty amazing today. But they need a lot of room and power like the big Maggie's, and arguably some fast subs like JL Audio Fathom V2's to augment the bass. Hence super or not they would be impractical for may audiophiles. Panel speakers wouldn't work in my loft apartment for example.

• bonzo75
        bonzo75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi I am not talking about value. For me a super speaker is not constrained by size. Otherwise we have today, as I said, speakers that best try to manage the scale of a larger speaker in a smaller size but giving up some other attributes

• Bodhi
        Bodhi commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a good point Bonzo. It's a bit like talking about a Super car. Cheers .

I went tto Howard Swanes place this summer and listened to his custom Altec Lansing with EV drivers and his multicell horn. This was truely a speaker that put you at the actual performance. That was one of the only times I remember crying when listening to Blowing In The Wind. Simon and Garfunkel live in Central Park was like being on stage with them. The bass cabinets are 8' across the face. That's 16' in width of speakers. Wider than many listening rooms.
      Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

Comment

• chris h
        chris h commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the RCA the Nipper doing his thing inside the speaker. Good Stuff !!

• bonzo75
        bonzo75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow that looks seriously cool.

• solypsa
        solypsa commented
        Editing a comment
        Loving the garden blocks and plywood racking! ( Not kidding )
    Working...
    X