Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conical horns

https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/
    i went to this place on Saturday with an audio buddy who came in from Europe. He has a blog called zero distortion
    nice guy. Loves classical and showed me its virtues
    the place above was a wonderland of horns. All you see he makes himself with staff. Myles you should go there he only has vinyl. He has many records but would play yours
    the sound of the horns varies greatly amongs the six sets he has. The very large ones had imaging and scale larger then mine. The first time I ever have heard this.
    My favs were two he ones that look butterflies and the little ones. They both were full in sound. The very large ones were too over the top once you played anything that was not great in quality. Too detailed. But muddy waters sounded amazing on them. I commented on the low end and he then said most people have become accustomed to the boxy sound of woofers In a box. The two massive rear firing woofers ha e there own amps and are 18 inches.
    And like mine cross over at 100 hertz but still seems thin
    he then played thriller lol. Wow was it bad and really showed the digital side of vinyl.
    The man is filled wpth info on everything he makes and why it’s made as is. Very nice man.
    The amps are all nos tubes and not exotic ones either
    many I use and know. The amps are just 18 watts st best
    the speakers vary up to 115 dB eff amazing how loud and clear a few watts sounds.

Comment

The box with round tubes is actually the dc psu for one large horn on each side he has tried many psu types over the years batteries , lps , switching and other tubes
      what you see is actually what was used when they were made. And measure horrible but sound best. Makes you wonder do we really need such perfection in Audio ?
      Great sound comes from tubes no doubt.
      What a nice man and a great session his TT are all custome floating on magnets weighting hundreds of pounds. Even one tone arm was suspended magnets
      and one is wood aged Ina special process to make it 100 years old. Great sound and ultra high tech. I loved talking to him.

Comment

Al-I'm not really sure "he makes it himself" but he commissions people to create and manufacture. He owns an old stone mill house in Pa where for some period of time, they'd have these geek out weekends of invited guests- people like Jeffrey Jackson- they'd cook, eat, and cook up circuits and frankensystems made from kludged together vintage parts and odds and ends.
        I spoke to him some years ago, shortly after he opened the Dumbo showroom- he was a nice guy. Never made it down there, even though I used to live in Brooklyn Heights (before his time). What was a movie set waterfront edgy place is now gentrified and part of the Brooklyn scene. There was an old Italian restaurant down there-probably long gone- no real views- across the street from the River Cafe-- they had waiters in black livery and a pianist with dueling scars. Like I said, it used to be a scary neighborhood.

Comment

• mep
          mep commented
          Editing a comment
          I think things have changed. Take a look here at all of the products they claim to manufacture: https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/

• Bill Hart
          Bill Hart commented
          Editing a comment
          Mark- his products are proprietary- my point was simply that he himself, as far as I know, wasn't necessarily designing or building them. If you look here, he talks about Bill Woods, who is a well known designer of horns, the industrial designer he uses, mentions a local (Pa.) foundry, etc. Perhaps he has technical chops, easy enough to find out. See https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/loudspeakers

• Bill Hart
          Bill Hart commented
          Editing a comment
          PS: I wrote him and invited him to weigh in.

Thank you bill. He does not make all him self no doubt and did drop many names of well known people who consult and others design for looks and still others make the various crafts needed on wood , metal , stone
        his stuff is high tech in some areas
        the tubes are single ended Triod seven the drivers no dual
        driver tubes. I have found this to be true in sound.
        The man in hear carry Dr ears turned me onto it. He is so correct. The look on Oswald’s face when I said I knew why he designed them like that lol.
        I would love him to post here and I am happy there is some level of interest.
        Thanks all

Comment

Ps his tech only went so deep as such he is not actually making the products himself . I do think as he said it’s all his designs and colaberations But all he has there is his own brand and likes that most buy a whole system I think
          he lives there too. Myles you have to go there it’s a really cool place not cluttered with stuff very large and open.
          Last edited by Alrainbow; 03-08-2018, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks Al, looks like a great room to listen to tunes at.
            Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

I'm glad that Al and Kaidar enjoyed their recent visit to OMA's Dumbo, Brooklyn showroom.

Would like to clarify a few things. I'm Jonathan Weiss, CEO and Founder of OMA, and indeed I do not fabricate our speakers. We design and build everything from the ground up at our 42,000 square foot factory in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania. Oswalds Mill is separate from the factory and is both a laboratory for me and a home, we don't make anything there.

As for what Al heard and referred to, the big Imperia system employs two 21" woofers (not 18") in back loaded horns- not "rear firing" enclosures. Our turntables sit on pressurized air vibration isolation tables typically used for scanning electron microscopes and other high precision lab equipment.

Our website has a great deal of information on our products, our history, the history of audio and horns in general, pics of the Mill, process, and so on.

Comment

Ty Jonathan for the corrections and it was very kind of you to post here
                and allowing for an amazing day of ultra high end sound.
                Getting into muddy Waters’s coz of that first song on those amazing horns.

Comment

Had a pal in our local audio club who was invited out to Oswald’s Mill. He ran some mercury vapor frankenamps out there, those same specimen sounded real nice, locally.

It appears many of OMA’s basic tenants and material choices are rather sound. Would enjoy taking the trip out to the Dumpo to kick the tires and for a serious listen. Nice to see some folks back on the right (imho) track.
                  Listening/Living room is 25.5x14.5x8.5, modestly live and dynamic, Brinkmann Balance w/RöNT II PS, HRS, Reed P3-12, Miyajima Zero, Avid Acutus SP, SME V w/Kondo fairy hair silver litz, Lyra Kleos, Linn Sondek LP12 w/Ittok LVII, Nakamichi ZX-7, Sony SCD-XA5400ES, Aesthetix Calypso & Rhea Signatures, Nordost TYR Norse 2 XLR IC, Silent Source Music Ref mains, Atma-Sphere MA1 Mk.3.4 OTL Silver Edition monoblocks, Elrod EPS-3 Sign power cables, Coincident Techn PREt, PS Audio Premiere, Yamamoto racks

Comment

Well worth the trip there. He is a great host and knows plenty on his stuff there. It was amazing to me how loud and clean just a few ways sounds. Nothing hummed either. He had one power REGEN running everything there. He uses all single driver tubes too no dual like a 6SN7 types.

Comment

Working...
                    X