Klipsch Jubilee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klipsch Jubilee?

So I have been researching and thinking about picking up a new pair of Klipsch Jubilees. Has anyone had the pleasure of listening to these?

I have not had the pleasure of hearing the Jubilee, but I've spent a lot of time listening to La Scala's which I like very much indeed. You'll need some room for those bad boys, but not a lot of power. Five watts will probably blow you out of the room.

Comment

• vego99
      vego99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! You're prob right with the wattage!

While I have not heard the Jub's I do have a pair of completely modded Khorns, most of my friends on the Klipsch forum that had Khorns and now Jub's say it is an upgrade. 2 watts is more than enough to run you out of the room easily...

Comment

• vego99
      vego99 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have heard this too and... They aren't as room dependent as the k-horns..

I have never heard Klipsch in any form Voice of the theatre by Altec a lot of times.

The big Khorn corner speakers read a lot about them but no one ever seemed to have them in this part of Canada.

2 watts seems incredible What do you give up in sound to get this efficient

Comment

I am in the same boat, having not heard them, but am a big fan of the sound that comes from large format transducers. I had heard they were discontinued a couple of years ago but maybe a special order or NOS still exists.

Comment

• vego99
        vego99 commented
        Editing a comment
        ohh, they are still alive and being built!

Originally posted by Garth View Post
      I have never heard Klipsch in any form Voice of the theatre by Altec a lot of times.

The big Khorn corner speakers read a lot about them but no one ever seemed to have them in this part of Canada.

2 watts seems incredible What do you give up in sound to get this efficient
      How about rephrasing the question and ask what do you gain by having speakers this sensitive?
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs, and a pair of JBL 4345 speakers.

Comment

• Garth
        Garth commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok what do you gain by going this route

If this is the way to go why have most of the speaker makers and sellers build to the higher wattage end of the spectre.

• mep
        mep commented
        Editing a comment
        High sensitivity speakers powered by low power vacuum tube amps was the way this hobby started out. Once SS gear elbowed it's way to the table and suddenly high power amps became affordable, the speaker market changed to go along. Instead of having large highly sensitivity speakers in the home, it was now possible to design much smaller speakers with bass output that belied their size. AR is credited with bringing sealed speakers to the market (acoustic suspension designs) that fit the new model. Much smaller and very inefficient, but who cares? We had plenty of SS watts to throw at them. That I do believe was the start of the "East Coast" sound. Of course AR spawned off a bunch of local competitors in the Boston area and soon acoustic suspension designs were popping up like dandelions on a spring day. Just as VHS beat out Beta Max, low sensitivity speakers pretty much took over the home market. We even have ported speakers now that are not very sensitive.

I think the combination of SS and WAF killed off (for the most part) the use of large high sensitivity speakers.

• Steve Lefkowicz
        Steve Lefkowicz commented
        Editing a comment
        This could probably be its own thread. There's so much to discuss on this topic. Personally, I have a thing for high efficiency, but high power handling speakers. Let's you play with amps regardless of their power output, just focusing on their intrinsic qualities.

Originally posted by Spla'nin View Post
      I am in the same boat, having not heard them, but am a big fan of the sound that comes from large format transducers. I had heard they were discontinued a couple of years ago but maybe a special order or NOS still exists.
      So here's the apparent story with these things. Jubilees are part of the cinema pro line and are technically a dedicated 3-way cinema speaker. Paul Klipsch's apprentice Roy Delgado is in charge of product development / engineering for pro cinema and the current heritage line up. He has gotten permission to further design the 2-way Jubilee and sell it by word of mouth only. They are also to be used in an active bi-amp situation. This guy Cory has a close working relationship with Roy and have been selling them with the Xlilica active crossover with baseline settings with great results.

Here are a few current pics from the factory.

Comment

• Spla'nin
        Spla'nin commented
        Editing a comment
        I was lusting after these a couple of years ago when they went dark. Glad to see they can be had. Thanks for the update !

How much are they and how do they sound?
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs, and a pair of JBL 4345 speakers.

Comment

• vego99
        vego99 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mep,
        Not sure have no idea what to expect but from all the owners i have spoken to I will not regret my purchase.
        As for price, send me a PM i can fill you in.

So took the plunge and placed my order last week. Haven't gotten the production schedule yet but I am being told it is about a 6-8 week wait from order to delivery.

Ordered them with the Cherry finish, cant wait!

Comment

I have relatively high efficiency speakers (96 dB) and know several people with various Klipsch. The one thing I note about high efficiency speakers is they seem to handle micro dynamics and low level signal input better than most. By way of an attempt at explanation it seems to me that the variations in SPLs more accurately represent the signal in, the graduations in level are more distinct. It only takes a couple of watts to accomplish what takes ten times that in a less efficient speaker. The decay of notes seems to more naturally trail off. Call it less compression.

That said, high efficiency speakers will reveal faults in a system that would not be apparent with less efficient speakers. Low level noise or hum which would not be noticable in less efficient speakers stands out like a freshly hammered thumb. After all, fractions of a watt will produce listenable levels. While some folks prefer to power high efficiency with a few watts, I like what I think of as "large music" and use a much more powerful amp, which has the current reserves to produce big impact. Rock, big band, large orchestral performances without strain.

As a final note, a quality 5 or 50 or 100 watt amp is a lot less expensive than a 500 or 1,000 watt behemoth of similar sound quality. If you can handle the shear size of high efficiency speakers, why not?
        Last edited by Rust; 07-14-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vego99 View Post
          So took the plunge and placed my order last week. Haven't gotten the production schedule yet but I am being told it is about a 6-8 week wait from order to delivery.

Ordered them with the Cherry finish, cant wait!
          How much?
          Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

• vego99
            vego99 commented
            Editing a comment
            PM me for that info
        Working...
        X