Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next speaker short list - opinions wanted!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the input Alex. The Vivids and the EAs are certainly different sounding, but both are excellent IMO.
    3 dedicated 20A circuits | PS Audio PPP | HDPlex LPSU -> Music PC | UltraCap LPS-1.2 -> Sonore Ultrarendu | Aqua Formula xHD DAC | Purity Audio Silver Statement preamp | Wells Audio Innamorata amp (mid/tweet) | Musical Fidelity A308CR amp (woofers) | Vivid Audio Giya G2 Series 2 | 2 JL Audio F113 subs | JPS Labs SC3 ICs + Aluminata/SC2 SCs | Stillpoints | Custom Baltic birch rack | Fully treated + dedicated 2 channel room

Comment

Originally posted by Musica View Post
      Thanks again for the feedback.

Richard - my list actually excludes many speakers that I already including King Sound. I also owned Carver Amazings, ML SL3s and Summits and have heard many ML speakers but not the newest line. For the most part, I'm done with planars although for the $ the Magnepan 30s sound like a bargain but too big for my room. The 20.7 is there just in case one floated up for demo close by. Also, I fully get the strengths vs weaknesses. Being a Program Manager, believe me I have methodically thought out and have a process as I do for each piece of gear. The trick is to try to make it fun :-)

C1ferrari - I listen in the mid - high 80s with peaks in the low 90s when my system is cookin!!
      The problem with a lot of comparisons is the rest of the system - it isn't really enough to compare speakers on the same system but on the best system for those speakers. I've had to revisit a lot of speakers that I thought I didn't like because in fact it was largely the solid state front ends that were ruining any chance for the speakers to sound any good - garbage in garbage out.

It's a fun game this audio hobby because there are so many differing views on what the best sound ought to be. From the single point in space ideal (thus a single driver) to the massive speakers with 7 drivers - but big speakers come with big problems as they say. The things that amaze and impress me about them usually wind up bugging me over time.

I was never much impressed with the Magnepan 3.7 or 20.1 or the 1.6 or 1,7. I preferred them with single ended tube amplifiers which is bizarre since most people always recommend putting a billion solid state watts on them.

If you are in the sorts of budget around $25k - You might want to try the Acapella La Campanella 2- The newer Acapella seem to be a lot better to me than the older ones. The High Cellini ($55k) I chose as best sound at CAS 2017 (pretty much in a class by itself) and considering there were speakers in the $1/4million range that was not too bad.

They're just so darn heavy. Still my speakers are also $25k and I can lift them up and carry them around the room - I love them - but there is something to be said for the substantial factor of the Acapellas - if the La Campanella 2 is close in sound to the High Cellini it should be very good. Fortunately for me and my wallet - I live in Hong Kong and they simply won't fit in my place. They are not all that easy to drive for a horn either. The High Cellini was as open and fast as I have heard from any panel - driver integration was surprisingly superb giving about as close to that single point in space sound as can be had from a speaker this size AND it had massive dynamic range and some of the best treble I've ever heard. And buckets of bass - and the best thing I heard was that even on mediocre recordings from Guns and Roses - it still remained engaging and non fatiguing. They can rock too. I find them much MUCH better than AvanteGarde.

Senior Reviewer at dagogo.
      Speakers: Audio Note AN E/Spx HE Alnico, & AX Two, KEF LS-50, Wharfedale Vanguard, Tannoy CR650
      Pre: Audio Note M3MKiii Phono Balanced
      Power: Kingko KA 101, Rotel RB 1050
      Analog: Audio Note TT2 (two motor), Arm 1(V2), IQ1 MM
      Digital: Audio Note DAC 0.1x, Line Magnetic 215CD & 502CA DAC
      Cables: Audio Note Vx silver and Lx copper ICs, AN-Spe spker cables

Comment

To my way of strategically selecting a speaker for life is by what my room and wallet will allow. The tricky part is that all speakers sound different based on the room that they are in and placement to some degree. Some are a horrific match. Then, also tricky is the pairing of a driver with a power amplifier. There are a lot of great loudspeakers and a lot of great amps in the world, they really sing and the magic begins with good pairing. So to some degree, I feel it is better to speak of pairings when speaking of loudspeakers. (I realize this is all context, and you were looking for some simple content.)
        Listening/Living room 25.5x14.5x8.5, modestly live & dynamic, Brinkmann Balance w/RöNT II PS, HRS, Reed P3-12, Miyajima Zero, Avid Acutus SP, SME V w/Kondo fairyhair silver litz, Lyra Kleos, Linn Sondek LP12 w/Ittok LVII, Nakamichi ZX-7, SCD-XA5400ES, Aesthetix Calypso & Rhea Signatures, Nordost TYR Norse 2 XLR IC, Silent Source Music Ref mains, Atma-Sphere MA1 Mk.3.4 OTL Silver Edition monoblocks, Elrod EPS-3 Sign power cables, Coincident PREt, PS Audio Premiere, Yamamoto racks, SMARTractor

Comment

Thanks Richard and Detroit for the recommendations and advice. To my ears what I've heard in terms of horns, and I've heard quite a few the detriments never outweigh the benefits. Also, I agree, it's a tricky thing to assess speakers when variables include the room, the amp(s), source, even cables and power all matter. Even your mood affects your perception of sound. From what I've read and what I've heard albeit speakers in different environment and equipment, they are all great speakers on my list, it's just what's your favorite flavor.
          3 dedicated 20A circuits | PS Audio PPP | HDPlex LPSU -> Music PC | UltraCap LPS-1.2 -> Sonore Ultrarendu | Aqua Formula xHD DAC | Purity Audio Silver Statement preamp | Wells Audio Innamorata amp (mid/tweet) | Musical Fidelity A308CR amp (woofers) | Vivid Audio Giya G2 Series 2 | 2 JL Audio F113 subs | JPS Labs SC3 ICs + Aluminata/SC2 SCs | Stillpoints | Custom Baltic birch rack | Fully treated + dedicated 2 channel room

Comment

Sorry for getting in late. I've been listening to Rockports quite a bit lately. Very impressed by the Avior II at the relatively low price point (for Rockport). I like the Rockports better than comparable Magicos. I've heard the Rockports up to the Lyra and Magicos up to the M series. There is a clear family resemblance, making the Avior II a bargain compared to the Cygnus or Lyra. There is a realism to the sound that I don't get with the Magicos.

Larry
            Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
            Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
            Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
            Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
            Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
            Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
            Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Thanks for your assessment Larry. I've heard the Aviors and the Arrakis and they are both very good (the Arrakis are stellar!) However, to my ears there is a dryness / darkness inherent that I heard in both speakers. To each his own!

Comment

Have you ever considered the Sanders electrostat?
                You can get a new amp,speakers and crossover with room DSP all in one package with 30 day in home trial and money back guarantee for under 20k.
                I'm still using the Eros which Sanders made 15-20 years ago and couldn't imagine giving up their clarity.
                McIntosh MC501x2,McIntosh c2200, Innersound Eros,Von Schweikert VR4 HSE,VPI Scoutmaster w/Grado Sonata,
                Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE,Sony APR 5003,Revox B77,
                Revox B760 McIntosh MR74

Comment

Thanks, I heard the Sanders some years back at RMAF and they weren't my cup of tea.

Comment

• mep
                    mep commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What is your cup of tea?

• JCOConnell
                    JCOConnell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lipton, on ice, unsweetened with lemon.

Lipton...

Comment

Half a year later and I finally ended up with a pair of Vivid Audio Giya G2 Series 2s. They are exceptional and beautiful. Among the many speakers I have heard including TAD, EA, Wilson, YG, Magico, Rockport and others they are best mix of neutrality, speed and most important - musicality. Break - in in process...

Comment

• Rob
                      Rob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      great choice.

• Asamel
                      Asamel commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Welcome to the club.

Originally posted by Musica View Post
                    Half a year later and I finally ended up with a pair of Vivid Audio Giya G2 Series 2s. They are exceptional and beautiful. Among the many speakers I have heard including TAD, EA, Wilson, YG, Magico, Rockport and others they are best mix of neutrality, speed and most important - musicality. Break - in in process...
                    They look great and enjoy them!

what color is the finish?

Comment

Thanks. It is a custom color found on 2018 Ford Mustang GTs - Royal Crimson Red

Comment

I have Vandersteen 5A's....it would be a mistake to not audition Richard's efforts.

Comment

Stringreen, I heard the 5a Carbons at RMAF and while they were very good they just don't compare to the bigger Giyas. However, my 2 top contenders were Vivid Audio Giya G2s / G1s and Vandersteen 7s. The problem is - the V7s never show up for sale used or as demo units. I could have happily lived with the Vandy 7s.

Comment

Working...
                          X