My latest toy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest toy

Soon to be making music in my house is the Rogue Audio RP-9 preamp (ordered today):

Click image for larger version

Name:	RP-9%20rear.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	112285
    http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_RP9.htm
    Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
    https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: VPI Prime, 3 Belt Drive, Dual Pivot, ADS, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Liberty B2B-1, Sky 30 Trans, Stereo Squares Dust Cover
    Amp: Rogue RP-9 + Schiit Loki + Parasound A21
    Speakers: Magnepan MMC2 + DW-M + REL T5/i
    Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer DV-47Ai, NAD C446, Schiit Modi Multibit
    Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, Focal Clear, Schiit Lyr 2
    Wires: Kimber Hero + 8TC + AQ Leopard

Originally posted by EdAInWestOC View Post
    Soon to be making music in my house is the Rogue Audio RP-9 preamp (ordered today):

Click image for larger version

Name:	RP-9%20rear.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	112285
    http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_RP9.htm
    Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
    Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
    Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
    Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
    Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
    Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
    Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
    Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
    CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
    Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
    Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
    Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
    Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
    Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

I have always thought they make terrific sounding electronics without breaking the bank.
      TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

• EdAInWestOC
        EdAInWestOC commented
        Editing a comment
        My dealer is a Magnepan, ARC and Rogue Audio dealer. He told me that without a doubt the RP-9 is the best sounding preamp he has ever heard. I hope he is at least close to being right. I auditioned the RP-7 but did not get a chance to audition the RP-9. I am buying this because I trust this dealer. He has never told me anything that wasn't true.

The RP-7 was very good. The RP-9 is supposed to be much better.

Let us know your impressions after break in and audition time. Have a good time!
      TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

• EdAInWestOC
        EdAInWestOC commented
        Editing a comment
        I was told it would take 5-7 days from today to get the preamp. I'll let you know next week. The RP-9 is supposed to come broke-in, right out of the box. I will still give it some time and give a second report of its sound after that period of time.
        Last edited by EdAInWestOC; 04-11-2019, 05:10 AM.

tube or ss audio section?
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Congratulations on the new preamp!
      SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
      DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
      PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. MoFi Studiophono
      PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
      AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
      SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
      CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

• EdAInWestOC
        EdAInWestOC commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks.

Whats the attenuator.
      PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
      Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
      Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

• EdAInWestOC
        EdAInWestOC commented
        Editing a comment
        I could not find anything directly but the TAS review of the RP-7, which is the predecessor of the RP-9, reports that it has a stepped-attenuator volume control providing 192 steps and 0.5dB increments. The RP-9 should have at least that if not better.

I always wanted the Athena because of that.
      PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
      Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
      Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

I spent this past weekend swapping out my old preamp to the new RP-9. It turned out to be more of a chore than expected.

I got a chance to play a LP and my first impressions is that this thing is seriously quiet. It digs out more details than my AI L1 and that wasn't terrible at low level details. The RP-9 is on another level. So far I am favorably impressed.

I was told by my dealer that it will take a while to break in the new preamp. The transients are a bit muted and rounded off and that was to be expected according to my dealer.

It sounds very promising.

Ed

Analog: VPI Prime, 3 Belt Drive, Dual Pivot, ADS, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Liberty B2B-1, Sky 30 Trans, Stereo Squares Dust Cover

Comment

Rogue has a rep for making preamps with really low noise. I had their older (and much lower cost) Perseus Magnum in for a while, and for about $2200 was really an excellent preamp. Kinda wish I had bought it.
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        --------------------------------------------------------
        http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

After living with the preamp for a month of listening sessions I can report it is the most quiet preamp I have ever experienced. It is one of those devices that make you think it is malfunctioning because it is so quiet.

It starts out quiet and with the dynamics somewhat muted. It has steadily opened up and is a superb preamp now but according to my dealer its far from finished breaking in. It has performed absolutely flawless so far. No problems or oddities along the way.

If you are in the market for a new preamp you might want to audition one. It will be worth your time.

Comment

Working...
          X