An Audio Odyssey Begins - The Audio Note (U.K.) M10 S.E. Preamp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan31 View Post
    Does Fred leave his new preamp powered up 24/7?

Interesting how some handle tubes in 24/7 powered up in thier systems. I think Albert Porter use to leave his dual power supply Aesthetix phono and preamp on all the time. He tested tubes after one year with minimal loss to the tubes. My Io phono has 24 tubes. I can't imagine leaving it on full time like Albert did in his system. I'm guessing having select NOS may play into this potential for long tube life.
    Thanks dan31. Burning hard to find and sometimes (very) expensive nos tubes - I recently inserted pretty rare and quite expensive Philips metal base gz34 rectifier valves in my Kondo Gakuoh amps - rather vastly does not really appeal to me in general. However, when burning in new equipment or new (nos) tubes the possibility of continuous play does become attractive (for me anyway because I really hate 'the audio roller coaster ride' while breaking in audio components/tubes).

Comment

I would think you have heard some of the Audio Research Preamps. What differences do you hear between that and the M10 just as a generality. Or if other people in the forum have heard Audio Note and ARC could they add a comment.

Comment

My apologies for not having responded sooner, but I have been on a Viking River Cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam and internet service has been spotty. As we near Amsterdam reception has improved and I am trying to catch up. First, I did purchase the Audio Note M10 Signature for the reasons previously stated. Second, I am generally extremely cautious about leaving tubed equipment on for extended periods. In most instances I have re-tuned with hard to source NOS tubes. I am reluctant to use them when I am not listening to music. In the case of the M10, the manufacturer's representative recommended 24/7 and I followed that recommendation with no negative consequences. At this point I only turn the unit on about an hour before a listening session. Last the last piece of Audio Research gear which I owned was an SP-10 which sounds very different from today's products so I really have no basis for a comparison. I do believe that the designs are very different and ultimately they will sound very different from each other but that is merely an educated guess.

well, the odyssey is over, for me the next adventure is a new cartridge for the Rockport but that is another story.
        Rockport Sirius/Ortofon A-90, Ypsilon Phono stage, Einstein preamp, EMM Labs TX2/DA2 digital, Audio Note Balanced Kegon amps, EMM Labs MTRX amps, Acapella Triolons, Jorma Prime and Odin 2 cables, Stage 3 Kraken power cords, HB Marble Powerslave, Finite Elemente Pagode stands, Halcyonics active isolation bases, Loricraft Audiodesk vinyl cleaners.

Comment

Thanks Fred. Enjoy your trip!!

The Airtight Opus seems to be all the rage. It would look nice on the rockport tt.

Comment

Originally posted by fcrowder View Post
            My apologies for not having responded sooner, but I have been on a Viking River Cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam and internet service has been spotty. As we near Amsterdam reception has improved and I am trying to catch up. First, I did purchase the Audio Note M10 Signature for the reasons previously stated. Second, I am generally extremely cautious about leaving tubed equipment on for extended periods. In most instances I have re-tuned with hard to source NOS tubes. I am reluctant to use them when I am not listening to music. In the case of the M10, the manufacturer's representative recommended 24/7 and I followed that recommendation with no negative consequences. At this point I only turn the unit on about an hour before a listening session. Last the last piece of Audio Research gear which I owned was an SP-10 which sounds very different from today's products so I really have no basis for a comparison. I do believe that the designs are very different and ultimately they will sound very different from each other but that is merely an educated guess.

well, the odyssey is over, for me the next adventure is a new cartridge for the Rockport but that is another story.
            Just send you a private message, Fred. Likely your Amsterdam stay will be pretty busy but maybe there is an opportunity to have a listen to some nice Kondo amplifiation in combination with the Tidal La Assoluta loudspeakers. But of course a visit to the Amsterdam Concertgebouw is always to be preferred!

Comment

• fcrowder
              fcrowder commented
              Editing a comment
              Unfortunately, my stay in Amsterdam was from midnight Sunday through 10 am the following morning with much of it spend in the Schipol airport, so I never made it into the city. Otherwise, I would have followed up on your advice. A number of years ago I spent about three months in the Hague on a work assignment and was able to visit Amsterdam frequently. It is a beautiful country and the people are quite friendly. There are also many used record sellers and the prices tend to run 3-5 euros per disc. In any event, thanks for your kind suggestion.

Hi Audiocrack, somehow I missed your reply (we had the California Audio Show last weekend, fun).

We like the Kondo gear, but are not Kondo dealers -- I'd say that the Factory Knows Best, and if they make such a recommendation, then I would certainly follow their advice. In this aspect, Audio Note UK is different; everything sounds better after it's been on for a few days. I agree, transformers and other electronic components benefit more from the run-in period than do tubes (but tube break-in is audible). All of these bits have internal (post-rectification) voltages that will curl your hair, so to speak, especially the 211 amps ...
            Neli Davis, Partner, Audio Federation Inc.
            Pursuing the Ultimate Music Experience
            http://www.audiofederation.com

Comment

Originally posted by audiofederation View Post
              Hi Audiocrack, somehow I missed your reply (we had the California Audio Show last weekend, fun).

We like the Kondo gear, but are not Kondo dealers -- I'd say that the Factory Knows Best, and if they make such a recommendation, then I would certainly follow their advice. In this aspect, Audio Note UK is different; everything sounds better after it's been on for a few days. I agree, transformers and other electronic components benefit more from the run-in period than do tubes (but tube break-in is audible). All of these bits have internal (post-rectification) voltages that will curl your hair, so to speak, especially the 211 amps ...
              No problem at all, Neli. And very kind of you to react after undoubtedly a very busy weekend.

Btw, we spoke many moons ago on the phone about the Marten Coltrane Supremes mk i loudspeakers that I played with in the past before I moved to the Tidal Audio brand. Very good to see that you - after the unlucky fall out with Marten - keep burning the 'audio torch'.

Comment

Working...
              X