Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arc ref 6

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Arc ref 6

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	427



    I just received my new Ref 6 two weeks ago and it has a long way to go before it's broken in. The Ref 6 replaced my REF 5SE that I owned for almost 2 years. I will be writing more about the Ref 6 soon, but suffice to say if you own a Ref 5SE and were wondering if the Ref 6 is a worthwhile upgrade, I wouldn't be afraid to take the leap. It is clearly a much better sounding preamp in every category on my audiophile checklist so far. And never mind the audio checklist, you just need to listen to it in your system so you can hear what it will do better. As the old saying goes in audiophile land, we don't know certain distortions are there sometimes until they are no longer there. My initial impression of the Ref 6 is that it lets more music through in a way that helps suspend to a greater degree the thought that we are listening to reproduced music.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	426
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

  • #2
    I've had an itch for a better tube preamp than my long trusted Manley Reference Tube Preamp. Will look forward to your no nonsense review of the Ref 6, Mark!

    Comment


    • #3
      Hey Ki! What amp are you using now?
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mep View Post
        Hey Ki! What amp are you using now?
        Mark,

        For my main setup, I am using a pair of MBL 9008As as monoblocks. I have also been experimenting with vintage McIntosh MI-200 monster tube mono amps - not the same thing but very intriguing sound to my ears.

        Comment


        • #5
          How many hours you have on the Ref.. 6 now Mark?
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
          ________________________________________

          -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
          -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

          Comment


          • #6
            Mark, when will the full review be published? Very interested in this preamp. May be worthwhile to start another thread comparing top preamps....with feedback from people who have actually compared or listened to various top contenders rather than just read the reviews? Many thanks

            Comment


            • #7
              Myles-Not enough! However, the Ref 6 sounded great right out of the box. As for the review, I'm debating whether to do it in two parts. I could do a preliminary write-up and then follow it up after the Ref 6 has totally broken in. There seems to be a fair amount of interest in the Ref 6. My comparison will be against the Ref 5SE that I bought brand new and owned for almost two years.
              Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Two is better than one!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
                  Two is better than one!
                  ‚ÄčKi-Should I wait until my new SRA rack arrives and I get a chance to hear my Ref 6 on the SRA rack? I have a sneaking expectation bias feeling that the SRA rack is going to improve the sound.
                  Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Mark,
                    Considering most of your readers will not have the same SRA rack to relate your findings, it would make a good follow up to your first review with the preamp on a normal rack vs on the SRA rack later. I do believe vibration is enemy of good sound and have two of my MBL amps on SRA amp stands made for them.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mep View Post



                      I just received my new Ref 6 two weeks ago and it has a long way to go before it's broken in. The Ref 6 replaced my REF 5SE that I owned for almost 2 years. I will be writing more about the Ref 6 soon, but suffice to say if you own a Ref 5SE and were wondering if the Ref 6 is a worthwhile upgrade, I wouldn't be afraid to take the leap. It is clearly a much better sounding preamp in every category on my audiophile checklist so far. And never mind the audio checklist, you just need to listen to it in your system so you can hear what it will do better. As the old saying goes in audiophile land, we don't know certain distortions are there sometimes until they are no longer there. My initial impression of the Ref 6 is that it lets more music through in a way that helps suspend to a greater degree the thought that we are listening to reproduced music.
                      Have you used the Ref 10? Any thoughts on Ref 6 relative to that unit?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mep View Post

                        ‚ÄčKi-Should I wait until my new SRA rack arrives and I get a chance to hear my Ref 6 on the SRA rack? I have a sneaking expectation bias feeling that the SRA rack is going to improve the sound.
                        ARC designs the feet of their equipment expecting some type of specific support. I had cases where using a high quality platform or special footers with ARC equipment did not improve the sound, but made it uncharacteristic, even changing significantly its tonal balance. IMHO it would be great if you could describe the sound with a standard good quality rack and than with the SRA rack.
                        My opinions rely on listening mainly to acoustical, non amplified music. I do not care about electronic music or listening to rock at stadium levels, but I enjoy Mahler and Shostakovitch.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have never heard the Ref 10 in my system so I can't comment on how they compare. The Ref 6 sounds cleaner on the rack I have in for review than it did on my Sanus rack. It also sounds a tad brighter, but that may be due to break-in issues. My new SRA rack is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
                          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by microstrip View Post

                            ARC designs the feet of their equipment expecting some type of specific support. I had cases where using a high quality platform or special footers with ARC equipment did not improve the sound, but made it uncharacteristic, even changing significantly its tonal balance. IMHO it would be great if you could describe the sound with a standard good quality rack and than with the SRA rack.
                            Now that is interesting - from your experience can you say the specific type of support ARC expects? Or generalize about what does not work well?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mep View Post
                              I have never heard the Ref 10 in my system so I can't comment on how they compare. The Ref 6 sounds cleaner on the rack I have in for review than it did on my Sanus rack. It also sounds a tad brighter, but that may be due to break-in issues. My new SRA rack is scheduled to arrive on Monday.

                              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
                              ________________________________________

                              -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                              -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                              -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                              -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X