conrad-johnson GAT Series 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conrad-johnson GAT Series 2

The box arrived and the preamplifier hits the road tomorrow or Tuesday for a short vacation at Chez conrad-johnson.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Awesome. Turn around time?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
      Awesome. Turn around time?
      I didn't ask but figure if I'm lucky it will be 3/11. But probably the week after. Guess it depends on how many updates they are doing.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I didn't ask but figure if I'm lucky it will be 3/11. But probably the week after. Guess it depends on how many updates they are doing.

Looks like I may push it back a couple of days since need to finish some listening. If all works out, I'll have the Kondo Kagura SE amp and Absolare preamplifier here in the interim. Slumming it....

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Any possibilty that you give us a few of your thoughts regarding the Kondo Kagura amps, Myles? Have not heard them myself and still wondering if they are really good - which they should be of course given their price - and maybe better than eg Ongaku or Gakuoh amps.

Comment

Originally posted by Audiocrack View Post
            Any possibilty that you give us a few of your thoughts regarding the Kondo Kagura amps, Myles? Have not heard them myself and still wondering if they are really good - which they should be of course given their price - and maybe better than eg Ongaku or Gakuoh amps.
            We're pretty much of the same mindset. I have heard the Kagura amplifiers on the Magico S5 and S3s and the combo was always impressive. But as we all know, one has to hear a product in their reference system, with their front-end sources (s) with different types of music to be called a review! Anything else is no different than going to an audio show and having a fun time.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Audiocrack
              Audiocrack commented
              Editing a comment
              Fair enough, Myles. But I suppose if the Kagura amps are really (very) good, you can hear their quality even if the set up is not ideal. And if I understand tou correctly, that is what they actually did.

And you are right of course, using a Kondo preamp is mandatory to get the best out of these power amps.

Looks like I may push it back a couple of days since need to finish some listening. If all works out, I'll have the Kondo Kagura SE amp and Absolare preamplifier here in the interim. Slumming it....
            If that's slumming it, I'm guessing you are all for it.

Dre
            Every day is a good day to play analog.
            - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
            - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
            Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Myles will CJ offer an update on the ART power amplifiers? Will you have yours updated?
              Marty

Comment

Originally posted by nc42acc View Post
                Myles will CJ offer an update on the ART power amplifiers? Will you have yours updated?
                Nothing has been announced but I would certainly consider.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Hi Myles,

Is the CJ GAT arriving back this week? or next?
                  SOURCE: Zanden 4-Box Digital
                  AMP: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Mephisto Stereo
                  SPEAKER: Wilson X1/SLAMMS + Velodyne DD18+

CABLE: TA Opus + PAD 25th + Sablon GCUber
                  POWER: 7 Dedicated Lines Furutech + Burmester 948 + NordostQX4
                  ISOLATION: Under: HRS+Stillpoints+Auralex Top: HRS+Artesania+Entreq+EAT+90kg Mass
                  GROUND/SHIELD/TUBE: Tripoint Troy Sig Thor+Entreq Atlantis / Receivus+Everest+Wrap / Amperex+Mullard
                  ROOM: Stillpoints Apertures+Acoustic Underlay

HEADPHONE: Sennheiser 650+Arcam rHead+Apogee Groove

Comment

Originally posted by LL21 View Post
                    Hi Myles,

Is the CJ GAT arriving back this week? or next?
                    I've delayed sending the GAT back until end of this week. I was reviewing the Kondo amplifiers and like any reviewer worth their salt, only wanted to change one variable at a time. So the first order of business was inserting the Kaguras into the system with the GAT and getting a handle on the amp's sound. So the sessions began with the Kagura and Kondo cabling and eventually switching speaker cables. Then Bob brought over the platforms this weekend and we placed them under the amp. He also brought the Kondo preamp and that follows next.

I do have to say that listening to a SE tube amplifier, and arguably one of, if not the best, in the world, has been a fascinating experience. That is the great thing about audio. With each new component, there's always something new to learn! And I could easily see this amplifier being a horn lovers wet dream. Like David's horn/big LAMM SE amplifiers combo. There is something magical about the SE sound. Is it that their performance is better at lower power levels? I dunno but there is real magic here.

Then this week, the Kondo M1000 Mk. 2 preamp and SUT go in and the GAT begins its journey back to cj. It will be there I reckon for at least two weeks. According to Bill, they have to move a lot of the parts from the main board to the new board. Yes it would have been easier for cj for me to sell mine and get a new GAT but I didn't want to go that way given how things are selling on Agon.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

I've delayed sending the GAT back until end of this week. I was reviewing the Kondo amplifiers and like any reviewer worth their salt, only wanted to change one variable at a time. So the first order of business was inserting the Kaguras into the system with the GAT and getting a handle on the amp's sound. So the sessions began with the Kagura and Kondo cabling and eventually switching speaker cables. Then Bob brought over the platforms this weekend and we placed them under the amp. He also brought the Kondo preamp and that follows next.

I do have to say that listening to a SE tube amplifier, and arguably one of, if not the best, in the world, has been a fascinating experience. Not to mention the combination of Kagura/GAT was wonderful. That is the great thing about audio. With each new component, there's always something new to learn! And I could easily see this amplifier being a horn lovers wet dream. Like David's horn/big LAMM SE amplifiers combo. There is something magical about the SE sound. Is it that their performance is better at lower power levels? I dunno but there is real magic here.

Then this week, the Kondo M1000 Mk. 2 preamp and SUT go in and the GAT begins its journey back to cj. It will be there I reckon for at least two weeks. According to Bill, they have to move a lot of the parts from the main board to the new board. Yes it would have been easier for cj for me to sell mine and get a new GAT but I didn't want to go that way given how things are selling on Agon.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Thanks Myles. FWIW, Big Dog RJ from Australia has a friend who just bought the CJ GAT and apparently heard the Series 2. I have asked Big Dog for more comments, but his initial post suggested that there was "quite a difference" but was not sure about whether it justified the upgrade cost...as with all things, improvements come at a premium at this level...i have asked what the "significant differences" were.

ISOLATION: Under: HRS+Stillpoints+Auralex Top: HRS+Artesania+Entreq+EAT+90kg Mass
                        GROUND/SHIELD/TUBE: Tripoint Troy Sig Thor+Entreq Atlantis / Receivus+Everest+Wrap / Amperex+Mullard

Comment

Originally posted by LL21 View Post
                          Thanks Myles. FWIW, Big Dog RJ from Australia has a friend who just bought the CJ GAT and apparently heard the Series 2. I have asked Big Dog for more comments, but his initial post suggested that there was "quite a difference" but was not sure about whether it justified the upgrade cost...as with all things, improvements come at a premium at this level...i have asked what the "significant differences" were.
                          Significant differences, law of diminishing returns is something I've been thinking of doing a thread on. Maybe now is the time.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Look forward to reading it!

Comment

Working...
                            X