Ref 6 Preliminary Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ref 6 Preliminary Review

Some people have been asking me to write my preliminary thoughts about the Ref 6. My preliminary review is now posted on Positive Feedback. http://positive-feedback.com/reviews...-6-line-stage/
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Well done, MEP. Not that I'm in the market (and maybe my brain isn't functioning so you cover this) but are the 5 E upgradeable or is this a model leap? It's been a long time since I owned ARC gear, and I started pretty much at the beginning.
    The one thing that puzzles me when I read about their current gear is the burn in time- I know tube gear requires burn in, but if 600 hours to reach optimum performance, what's the life before tubes need to be swapped? 2-3000 hours? Not bitching, just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
      Well done, MEP. Not that I'm in the market (and maybe my brain isn't functioning so you cover this) but are the 5 E upgradeable or is this a model leap? It's been a long time since I owned ARC gear, and I started pretty much at the beginning.
      The one thing that puzzles me when I read about their current gear is the burn in time- I know tube gear requires burn in, but if 600 hours to reach optimum performance, what's the life before tubes need to be swapped? 2-3000 hours? Not bitching, just asking.
      Blame those caps.

Nice job Mark! Makes me really want to hear the new preamplifier!
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Bill- to my knowledge, the Ref 5SE is not upgradable to the Ref 6. As for break in time, I don't sweat it. The Ref 6 sounds great right out of the box as I said. I'm not one to blow 25% of my tube life by running a new component 24/7 so I can hit the break in point as fast as possible.
        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Many thanks for the update. Any noticeable difference in microdynamics between the 5SE and 6?

Comment

What I have written so far are really general observations. Part 2 will focus on the music being used and I will try to hit all of the audiophile terms that people use to judge gear. As a generalized statement, I can tell you I hear more of everything in recordings played through the Ref 6.

Comment

another good review, Mark.

you didn't mention the prices of the Ref 5 vs Ref 6 in the article.

Other than having to give up three fully balanced inputs (three less tape machines to hook up to...sad), it sounds like a winner of a line stage.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
                Some people have been asking me to write my preliminary thoughts about the Ref 6. My preliminary review is now posted on Positive Feedback. http://positive-feedback.com/reviews...-6-line-stage/
                Mark,

Thanks for the prelim review update. I'm looking forward to part two!

How long do you think it will be before you put those additional hours on the unit?

Dre
                Every day is a good day to play analog.
                - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

Mark,

Thanks for the prelim review update. I'm looking forward to part two!

How long do you think it will be before you put those additional hours on the unit?

Dre

Thanks Dre. It will probably be 6-8 more weeks until I will be ready to present my final thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
                    another good review, Mark.

you didn't mention the prices of the Ref 5 vs Ref 6 in the article.

Other than having to give up three fully balanced inputs (three less tape machines to hook up to...sad), it sounds like a winner of a line stage.
                    Good comment Ki. The Ref 5SE is $13k and the Ref 6 is $14k.

Comment

Mark, are you running the two in single-ended or balanced?
                      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                      -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I'm running the Ref 6 into the Ref 75 in balanced mode as ARC intends them to be run. The Ref 75 only has balanced inputs.

Comment

Working...
                        X