Allnic phono/pre

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allnic phono/pre

Hi all, after posting last year that the stock Allnic H3000 was not good enough and lost to the Zesto Andros, I rolled rectifiers as suggested and have become a fan. I found the stock recti tries to pretty the tops, but had no body, bass and dynamics for me in the bottom half. At Paul S’ we swapped rectifiers to KR 5u4g, and the difference was significant (he ordered one immediately). This weekend I went back to be first place I heard the Allnic with the Zesto. Now he did not have the Zesto but had the Trulife Reference which is a 25k Euro phono, and I believe Kronos sells it in two boxes at 50k, not sure what is added.

Anyway, with the stock recti the Allnic was less, and with the KR recti it was as good on simple music and better on orchestral music. More bass, dynamics, depth, and stage. Trulife was also quite good, and width wise more open. But I am now liking the Allnic. I can only imagine the 5000 will be a significant step up, and it uses the same KR 242 tubes which are my favourite tubes for the Lampi. But that’s too expensive.

I will at some point compare Allnic 3000 to the Thoress. And then to an SS phono like Burmester.

But I had the following queries. How would Allnic phono work with 0.24 and 0.25 carts like Zyx and Etsuro Urushi, has anyone noticed noise issues? Or does it need higher output carts like the Atlas.

Is there any synergy between the phono and the L3000, or does it not matter.

Has anyone compared L3000 to other preamps with non Allnic SET amps? Any feedback useful. Does the L3000 jump up significantly with tube rolling? Might be one to explore.

Btw, would also like to hear from those who moved on from the Allnic.
    Last edited by bonzo75; 12-11-2017, 09:36 AM.

I have a friend with a original Allnic H3000 phono and he played with a few rectifiers and settled on a metal base GZ34.

Comment

• bonzo75
      bonzo75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. What cart does your friend use, what preamp, amp and speaker does he have?

bonzo75 - most of the rectifiers are cheap enough that you can buy half a dozen good ones and find the "right" one for your needs. I'm presently using a NOS GEC U 52. It has more air and top end than the old Mullard (I didn't have the metal base, which is "the one" but the first series fat base).
    There was a running change in the H3000 around 6 years ago- larger or different transformers, I think, and slightly different set up in the power supply. Mine is at least 5 years old but was the more up to date version at the time I bought it.
    The thing I like about the H3000 is the spatial characteristics- not only width, height and depth, but a very individualized placement of instruments within the field and the ability to hear the dynamics and shape of each instrument more clearly.
    As to very low output cartridges, I use an Airtight Supreme, which is a little higher output at .4 but my system is dead silent- even fully cranked beyond the level I'd listen to it, you have to stick your ear in the horn to hear anything- and that's barely discernible. (My line stage is a Veloce running 6 H 30s and fully up to date with the latest changes in battery system and Lamm ML2 SETs powering Avantgarde Duos, which as you know are extremely efficient).
    I never heard the matching line stage. Christian and others with the DHT version of the phono stage can tell you more about that. I've been very pleased with the Alllnic's performance and listen to a wide variety of music, mostly older LPs (and not all classical or audiophile). My unit took about 150 hours to burn in.

Comment

thanks - yes, rectis can easily be rolled except for Takatsuki. But I am scheduled to compare the Tak and the KR 5u4g on the Lampi at some stage. We have already been through EML, WE 422a, Philips, etc.

I agree with your points on the H3000. I am clearly liking it a lot. And given that I do not have an appetite for three boxes of Aesthetix, it is my favourite phono so far. And yes we will compare it to the Aesthetix IO sig 3 box at some stage.

Have you tried the headamp? I am due to hear the Airtight Opus and Lyra in Gian's system soon, so if I like Airtight that's a good thing.

Regarding Veloce, what did you try before, and did you have any synergy issue with your phono with any other preamp?

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
        thanks - yes, rectis can easily be rolled except for Takatsuki. But I am scheduled to compare the Tak and the KR 5u4g on the Lampi at some stage. We have already been through EML, WE 422a, Philips, etc.

I agree with your points on the H3000. I am clearly liking it a lot. And given that I do not have an appetite for three boxes of Aesthetix, it is my favourite phono so far. And yes we will compare it to the Aesthetix IO sig 3 box at some stage.

Have you tried the headamp? I am due to hear the Airtight Opus and Lyra in Gian's system soon, so if I like Airtight that's a good thing.

Regarding Veloce, what did you try before, and did you have any synergy issue with your phono with any other preamp?
        I have not tried the head amp- I think Christianrockitman has one; the Veloce replaced a Lamm L2 Reference (the two chassis unit with a solid state audio path and tube rectified power supply). I know Vlad has since updated the L2, but despite the Lamm-Lamm relationship with my amps, I found the Veloce to deliver a broader band, more bass, more high frequency info- the Lamm line stage was wonderful in the mids- very organic. The original Veloce (1.0) sounded grainy compared to the Lamm, but the Lithio version 2.0 overcame that, by giving me the flow and brainlessness (read: continuousness; i just couldn't delete the auto correct of 'brainlessness'- it was too good) of the Lamm with more impactful, deep bass and less roll off on the high frequencies. Obviously, that's system dependent too. The Airtights (haven't tried the Opus yet) aren't as spectacular as the Lyras in my experience but have a more filled out quality in the mids. Albert Porter could probably give you a fair reading on this since he is, as you probably know, the North American importer for Allnic now, and is using the Airtight Opus, I believe.
        Re synergy on my end, if I remember the sequence, I had my Lamm line stage go in for a check-up, got the Allnic phono stage, used it with the Lamm line stage, then replaced the Lamm with the Veloce after home trials of the first and second versions of the Veloce. No synergy issues in any of that. Hope that helps.

Comment

bonzo75 - I have both the H3000 (RCA rectifier) and L3000. I bought the H3000 first and used with a Mapletree Audio 2A SE preamp. I read several reviews that mentioned great synergy between the L3000 and H3000. Adding the L3000 did make a dramatic difference. However, given the differences in both price and circuitry, it's difficult to credit synergy alone. The L3000 elevated the sound of my Audio Note 2.1 Sig DAC as well.

I ordered the KR rectifier today.

My cart is a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, .4 mV and requires 470 ohm or greater load. At the Allnic's 278 ohm max I can see and hear that it's slightly rolled off over 10k. I haven't settled on a replacement cart. I'm leaning toward the Transfiguration Proteus since its suggested 10 ohm or greater load gives me multiple choices with the H3000.

Comment

• bonzo75
            bonzo75 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. what are your power amps?

• RandyRobinson
            RandyRobinson commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm using an old Threshold S500 that was upgraded to e line by the factory. I needed lots of power for maggies.

• RandyRobinson
            RandyRobinson commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah - amp tubes - all others are stock in both the L and H. Which are the amp tubes?

I have an H3000V which I use with a Transfiguration Proteus (0.2 mV) without any issue. Amp tubes are NOS Telefunken and Rectifier is the KR Anniversary (same as Paul’s).

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post

Will be interested in your perspective on the 3000 vs 3 box Aesthetix. I have the Aesthetix in that config and our local dealer has the Allinic line - I do not feel its a fair comparison at all based on what I heard with the 3000 - you have to move up the Allinic line to the DHT to get to the Io level IMO YMMV and all that.
            Front end: Aesthetix Io Signature with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
            Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM
            Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2 - Custom Direct Drive to supply Beveridge Electrostatics
            Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
            Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3, REL S/2 x 2

Comment

• bonzo75
              bonzo75 commented
              Editing a comment
              You need to roll the recti first. I did not like Allnic in stock form at all

• kcin
              kcin commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure Philips 1957 metal base miniwatt 5aR4 and Emission Labs 5U4 mesh & GEC cv575 from my collection were tried.

• bonzo75
              bonzo75 commented
              Editing a comment
              Tbh I love aesthetix, I keep myself away as I will spend too much rolling 26 tubes and putting each box on shun Mook diamond resonators. Also I think the strength of that phono is more for cones/planars and for a SET horn system I am not so sure

These are my go to rectifiers for my Allnic H5000 DHT.
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-NOS-NI...gAAOSwa0VaEL-s

double bottom getters WW2 military surplus. I bet they would be great in the H3000. I have tried virtually all rectifiers save for a metal base GZ34 and WE 274. I am told these RCA’s are as close to the 274 performance wise you can get. They are cheap too...relatively speaking.
            Christian
            System Gear

Comment

• bonzo75
              bonzo75 commented
              Editing a comment
              Christian, you haven't tried Takatsuki and KR yet, right?

• rockitman
              rockitman commented
              Editing a comment
              I use the Takatsuki 300b for voltage regulation in the h5000. I already use 4- KR 242’s for signal gain

• bonzo75
              bonzo75 commented
              Editing a comment
              I was referring to their rectifiers. Takatsuki 274b and KR 5u4g.

Originally posted by kcin View Post

Will be interested in your perspective on the 3000 vs 3 box Aesthetix. I have the Aesthetix in that config and our local dealer has the Allinic line - I do not feel its a fair comparison at all based on what I heard with the 3000 - you have to move up the Allinic line to the DHT to get to the Io level IMO YMMV and all that.
            Yes, Io is a commitment for certain. In space and with heat and tubes. Although, once you settle on your tube compliment- for me it stays- relatively static. Mine will go back in January for Eclipse upgrade from Signature all 3 boxes back to California.
            Front end: Aesthetix Io Signature with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
            Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM
            Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2 - Custom Direct Drive to supply Beveridge Electrostatics
            Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
            Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3, REL S/2 x 2

Comment

Working...
            X