No announcement yet.

Custom Designed Listening Rooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry if I'm repeating myself with this, as I've written much about my room process.

I'm very happy 'now' with my custom designed and built dedicated room. but it took me 10+ years to understand what it was doing, and then tune it to my taste. I think my designer got the big things right, and mostly warned me properly on where I might need to make changes as I lived with it. the room was designed to be very 'live' with lots of built in diffusion and an oval shape, and was a bit on the large size. so it's always allowed the music to really breathe. so it's bones are very good. but I was google-eyed to begin with and it took me years and lots of feedback to myself evolve before I was able to progressively understand where I needed to make changes.

then when I was ready I heard things in other rooms that I was not hearing in my room, and then was able to find those things and more in my own room and in that way unlocked the process in my mind to get to where I wanted to get to.

the room started out overly damped (the designer warned me that if anything, he installed too much bass trapping), then became too live, but as my references got refined I was able to crack the code of tuning and find the right balance. at that point all that live surface became a real asset. it was a long road.

I have no illusions that my room is everyone's idea of the ideal room. but it is what I want and does the things I like. I no longer even think about my room.

I do think it helps that I have speakers which allow for a great deal of adjustment in the bottom octaves, over the top driver surface area, and lots and lots of amplification headroom.

FYI; my room designer did visit me after my room was completed and do measurements, I'm sure I have them someplace. and then 6 years later Gary Koh did more measurements, which was the start of my own room tuning process that lasted 6-7 years. at one point my speaker designer spent 2 days doing measurements and speaker adjustments; but until I later fixed a 10db+ suckout at 30hz and then re-adjusted my speakers, my bass was not really right.

my feeling is that my room gives me an unequal advantage in ultimate performance. it does things other rooms seem not to be able to do. so even though it's been a huge commitment, I think it has been worth it and I enjoy it immensely.

YMMV, just my 2 cents, and all that stuff.

Comment

I'm thinking this room belongs to Jacob Heilbrunn of TAS who reviewed the WAMM and purchased.

Originally posted by david k View Post
      Click image for larger version Name:	FE72884E-83B4-47EE-B48A-80184FA7450E.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	109062

Interesting contrast with David Wilson's own listening room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rh listening to wamm.png
Views:	129
Size:	803.2 KB
ID:	109193

note Ferrari magazine lower right...

Comment

• Bruce B
        Bruce B commented
        Editing a comment
        David's room was not to my liking. Overly damped for my taste.

Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post

FYI; my room designer did visit me after my room was completed and do measurements, I'm sure I have them someplace. and then 6 years later Gary Koh did more measurements, which was the start of my own room tuning process that lasted 6-7 years. at one point my speaker designer spent 2 days doing measurements and speaker adjustments; but until I later fixed a 10db+ suckout at 30hz and then re-adjusted my speakers, my bass was not really right.
      Mike, I think you have mentioned this part before.

Two questions:

1) Briefly: how did you address this?

2) Most important: Did Gary (or someone else) come back and verify that the adjustments fixed the greater than 10dB suckout in the bass at 30Hz issue discovered with those same measurements?

Dre
      Every day is a good day to play analog.
      - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
      - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
      Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

The most elaborate custom room that I've been in was Winston Ma's music room, which I visited several times in the 2013-14 period while writing my Decca book for him and his FIM company. The room was built as a custom addition to his home and was a real treat for the ears. You can google Winston Ma's Listening Room to get to a series of articles that Positive Feedback did in the early 2000's. I saw and heard the room about a decade later and there were a few tweaks that Winston had installed as well as some changes in equipment.

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-...ng-winston-ma/

Here is the touching obit that PF did of Winston with some shots of the room a couple of years after it was completed.

Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Bruce B
          Bruce B commented
          Editing a comment
          I will second this. Winston's room is the best room I have ever been in. I even took my equipment over there on several occasions and mastered albums right in his room. Surely do miss him.......
      Working...
      X