Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Build with many questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Build with many questions

    So I am fortunate enough to be able to build a room in a custom home. I’ve read through all of the posts in this section and a lot of what’s out there in the land of the internets. Soo many questions still. For right now I would like to concentrate on the construction. I feel the more I do now the better the room will sound later after treatments.
    Here’s my first question.

    I have the opportunity to use ICF construction on all 4 walls( this is the styrofoam LEGO type blocks that have cement poured in a center cavity)
    With this type of construction walls will most likely be parallel.

    With traditional stick building it will be much easier to get non parallel walls. With proper insulation though this could get pricey.

    Do the concrete walls provide and more benefits than unparalleled walls or is it just better to spend the $$$ now on unparalleled walls and less on treatments later?

    Will the nonparalleled wall room require that much less treatments.

    I am treating the room like a “Component” of my system just like cables or a turntable. The room will Definitely be the most expensive component after treatments.Sorry to be longed winded this is just the beginning I know I’ll have plenty more to come.








  • #2
    The Cardas site has excellent room dimension calculators.

    http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_calculators.php

    Also, the Jim Smith "Get Better Sound" book would be worth reading, as he devotes some of that to this topic.

    From experience I learned it was also important to make the floor very solid to eliminate bass boom, though I am using very large stereo subwoofers in my main room (not in the corners).

    Comment


    • ashandger
      ashandger commented
      Editing a comment
      I increased the concrete thickness during construction in the approx. speaker position (made it big enough to hopefully cover future upgrades)...we have underfloor heating so also routed the pipes around this area.

  • #3
    Originally posted by Sixpkdad View Post
    So I am fortunate enough to be able to build a room in a custom home. I’ve read through all of the posts in this section and a lot of what’s out there in the land of the internets. Soo many questions still. For right now I would like to concentrate on the construction. I feel the more I do now the better the room will sound later after treatments.
    Here’s my first question.

    I have the opportunity to use ICF construction on all 4 walls( this is the styrofoam LEGO type blocks that have cement poured in a center cavity)
    With this type of construction walls will most likely be parallel.

    With traditional stick building it will be much easier to get non parallel walls. With proper insulation though this could get pricey.

    Do the concrete walls provide and more benefits than unparalleled walls or is it just better to spend the $$$ now on unparalleled walls and less on treatments later?

    Will the nonparalleled wall room require that much less treatments.

    I am treating the room like a “Component” of my system just like cables or a turntable. The room will Definitely be the most expensive component after treatments.Sorry to be longed winded this is just the beginning I know I’ll have plenty more to come.
    Too long of a story to tell here, but I have mostly had negative experience (to my surprise and - sometimes angst - when I built two separate rooms for myself) with non-parallel walls. I realize this may go against theory, but I speak from experience with a number of such rooms.

    IMO, it can be done, but the compromises may not be welcome.

    Comment


    • Garth
      Garth commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim have you and I am sure you have found a customer with a very good room would it not be possible to copy the room if so what size was it and how was it constructed . Because it seems like super rooms by experts are hit and miss on results. Like systems a lot of can go in with less than great returns. Any light you can put on this is a help.

    • Jim Smith
      Jim Smith commented
      Editing a comment
      One of the smaller rooms that never seemed to have music problems was 19x14x10

    • Garth
      Garth commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks 19x14x10 is a very do able size if you are doing a new construction.

  • #4
    Robert Harley has posted an article on the TAS website about constructing his own room.

    Comment


    • #5
      Thank you all for the responses. This information helps. Definitely headed In The right direction. I will research room designers here in Phoenix and defiantly consider bringing in a professional.

      Comment


      • #6
        Originally posted by Sixpkdad View Post
        Thank you all for the responses. This information helps. Definitely headed In The right direction. I will research room designers here in Phoenix and defiantly consider bringing in a professional.
        What you don't want is a room designed by committee from an audio forum. You will end up with an igloo.
        SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

        Comment


        • #7
          Originally posted by mep View Post

          What you don't want is a room designed by committee from an audio forum. You will end up with an igloo.
          I appreciate the candidness. Room size is predetermined. 1 outer wall will have to be ICF construction and there will have to be a window because of code. Just trying to get through all the info on the internet can be a daunting task. Still in the beginnings of the architectural drawings. Getting as much input as I can do I can further my research.

          Comment


          • #8
            Originally posted by Sixpkdad View Post

            I appreciate the candidness. Room size is predetermined. 1 outer wall will have to be ICF construction and there will have to be a window because of code. Just trying to get through all the info on the internet can be a daunting task. Still in the beginnings of the architectural drawings. Getting as much input as I can do I can further my research.
            All I'm saying is choose your gurus wisely. The less gurus the better because none of them will agree on anything.
            SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

            Comment


            • Garth
              Garth commented
              Editing a comment
              It is Audio so many variables no one will come to the same answer plus we often have differing end game sound in mind.

              A room and sound treatment is not easy to understand at lest for me .

              Speaker placement is the first step IMO

              I have often thought back to my old OLM F at lest you knew they were facing the right way
          Working...
          X