Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Listening Room in Pakistan - A John H. Brandt Design

Hello from Karachi!

Have browsed these forums for many years, and have just now made my account and posting for the first time...Warning, it will be a long one, but hopefully some of you find it interesting.

Like many of you, I have accumulated my system over the years. Gone from Tubes to SS and Back... Speakers I've had from the Klipschorns to Proac ribbon tweeters. Living in Pakistan, unfortunately purchasing a sound system is largely a leap of faith, because there are no demos or (practically no) authorized dealers. Even the audiophile community is very small.

But eventually, I have arrived at a system which I don't see upgrading really anytime soon (yeah,right! I know!). Currently, I am the lucky owner of:

Speakers: Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 8
    Preamp: Nagra Pl-L
    Power Amps: Nagra VPA Monoblocks
    Digital Front: PS Audio DirectStream Jr.
    Analog Front: VPI Scout (with Clearaudio Stradivari v2 Cart) and a Avid Pellar Phono Stage
    Power: PS Audio P5
    Interconnects: Transparent
    Power: All PS Audio power cables

I also have the good fortune of having my own listening room. Already you can tell the numerous problems from the picture below: Glass door to the left, Off center placement, no treatments to the room, etc. What you can not tell from the picture is due to space constraints, the room is almost a new perfect square! 17.5' x 18'.

About a year ago, a friend of mine inaugurated a recording studio in Karachi, one that had been designed by a John H. Brandt (www.jhbrandt.net). And what a space it turned out to be! Sitting in that control room was the most fun I'd had in years! The punchy bass, the glorious vocals... But more than just that: Just talking in that room was wonderful. Your own voice took on this wonderful timber.

So I setup a call with John, and he was nice enough to basically tell me that nothing could be done unless I could change the dimensions of the room. Many months passed by, and I kept mulling it around in my mind. You have to understand that I LOVED the way my system sounded. But I also couldn't get DreamStation studios out of my mind.

So some time over my summer vacation, I convinced myself (and the wife!) that I was gonna do this. Got a conference call set up, he understood the things that I wanted to do, and we agreed to basically push the left wall out about 8.5' (so that the dimensions would be approximately 17.5' x 26'), and shift the entire orientation of the room by 90 degrees clockwise.. After a lot of back and forth, I have received the attached layout... along the walls are all the various treatments to keep the room response relatively flatter, yet lively.

I have just contracted out the carpenter's work on the treatments a few days ago and the construction work has just started yesterday.

My reason for posting here is a) to share with you guys since I've picked up so much over the years and b) get some insights from all here about the ongoing project.

If there is any interest, I will continue to update you guys on the progress with pics, etc.

Thanks for listening,

Fauzi

Welcome and congratulations on your project!
    Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
    Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
    Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
    Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
    Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
    Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
    Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
    Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
    CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
    Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
    Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
    Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
    Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
    Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

Congratulations .
      Tell us more about what surrounds the room walls. What are you feeding the rack with. As in power. Are you doing anything to the floor to reduce vibrations/bounce? Any tricks Robert Harley published in TAS pertaining to wall construction .
      Have fun.
      PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
      Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
      Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
        Congratulations .
        Tell us more about what surrounds the room walls. What are you feeding the rack with. As in power. Are you doing anything to the floor to reduce vibrations/bounce? Any tricks Robert Harley published in TAS pertaining to wall construction .
        Have fun.
        Hey there,

That's the lucky thing about this room. It's like an annexe so it's actually outside the main house. On one side is a guest bedroom which is used once or twice a year (the door you see in the proposed layout's left side.) the right and rear are surrounded by garden and the to-be front is the earth of a raised garden.

Wall construction in Pakistan is generally all cement blocks rather than the drywall used in the US. I'm not familiar with Robert Harley (will look it up), but John's methods call for completely treating five of the six room surfaces. The only thing that I will do with the floor then would be rugs.

Regarding power, a larger problem than dirty power tends to be sudden brown outs or spikes... Or frequent power outs. So I have an online UPS plugged into the mains supplying power to my PS audio p5 power regenerator.

Fauzi

Edit: just skimmed over Harleys listening room build article. Very interesting. Our dimensions are also very similar, with the exception of his ceiling being a foot and a half taller. He also refers to a tool on John Brandt's site... Will read in depth later on

Comment

Congrats on the new construction! It looks like a lot of thought, planning and effort is going into the project. When completed, I am sure it will be a great space to relax and listen.
          CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S3 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Version),Eficion F300 Speakers(Stillpoints Customized), Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V3, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Python Zitron Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Stillpoints, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
            Congrats on the new construction! It looks like a lot of thought, planning and effort is going into the project. When completed, I am sure it will be a great space to relax and listen.
            Hawk,

That's exactly right! Fingers crossed that I get there sooner rather than later. Still have a ton of work left. But once the civil work is done, I should be a couple of weeks away from that goal.

Gonna shut down my system in a couple of days. Will take a 'before' response curve and Post that.

Comment

Awesome project. Welcome and thanks for sharing. Looking forward to pictures of the completed design.

Comment

Great project !!
                With very good toys !
                Congratulations!
                We will be attentive to progress!
                Thanks for sharing
                "Every day is a good day to listen tapes"

Comment

Welcome!
                  SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
                  DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
                  PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. EAT E Glo Petit & EAT LPS. MoFi Studiophono. KandK Premium SUT, Lundahl LL1931 1:8 and 1:16
                  PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
                  AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
                  SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
                  CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

Hey there!

Thank you for writing... feeling welcomed!

Today is the filling of the RCC column bases. I think another 3 weeks to go for the Civil Work.

In parallel, I’m making the treatments themselves. They are quite tricky, but I’m lucky in that I was able to get the same guy that made the treatments for the DreamStation Studios.

Just a few pics to keep you updated…!

Picture "1174 Frame" is the frame of a bass trap, one of six “No. 9’s” in my proposed layout in the first post. I will contain a membrane made of a specific gauge of Mild Steel and a particular gauge of Rubber.

The diffusor pictures: These pieces will eventually convert into a skyline diffusor that you see in the back. There will be close to 1,100 of these pieces. The vernier caliper pic is the one that I sent to John because he demands to see that the 17mm pieces are in fact 17mm!

Dismantling Beams: That’s the current room from the outside. The raised patio area you see is more or less where the extended room will be.

Bass Trap Frames:

The sheer space required to make and store the close to 40 panels is a LOT! On top of it all, we are going through a kind of a rainy season so we have had to raise everything and cover it all thoroughly with plastic.

More later...

Thanks,

Fauzi

Comment

Congratulations Fauzi! A project that is well worth the investment. Having the correct room dimensions and proper acoustic treatments along with the proper setup of the system and seating position in the room will transform your musical experience.

Keep us posted!

Comment

I know nothing about building a good room, but I have walked into rooms that are overdamped. My earlier question about surrounding the room walls was all the structure i see on the interior wall plan. I know there are a few camps on room builds. 2 major conflicting camps are "to absorb" vs "not to absorb". Can you share why your designer feels the need to absorb so much energy.
                        PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
                        Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
                        Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Hi there,

I'm assuming you mean that the amount of treatments may make the room over damped. Funnily, that was the first reaction I had when I walked into the studio. Not an inch of wall could be seen... And then I got the demos... Lively, quick, punchy... Yet lush. Everything I would want in my room.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to answer your question properly because I'm not qualified to do so, other than to tell you that it sounds less damped than it may initially look... But I will tell you what i have understood. His design methodology sits neither in the pro- or anti-damping camp. He likes to control the reflections from coming back to you, and then using that sound to the rooms advantage.

When I spoke to him earlier today, he asked me to point you to https://www.jhbrandt.net/wp-content/...E_Criteria.pdf for a more detailed response.

Fauzi

Comment

Working...
                          X