Furniture Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furniture Selection

I have been shopping for furniture for my living room for some time. Last night I made a little impulse purchase and got myself a listening chair. My god its comfortable. It better be for the multi thousands its cost.

My real issue is the rest of the room. My stereo is smack dab in the midde of my life. I dont want a dedicated room. I listen with family, friends or by myself. I live with my gear. It lives with us. Im dropping a couple pix of what were looking at. Just beautiful italian products. So comfortable. Made to live on. Just not listening space designed. I really cringe to think of spending $40k and not have it fit the room right, to improve audio. I also cringe to think of pimping a room so nice, but impacting $40k in audio gear. The conundrum has left us in limbo for years. But it is getting time to act. My other furniture has lived its life.

Whats funny is, I'm more the style snob. My wife is ok with however I want to lay it out. I'm the one driving a proper set for the room. At least one benefit is the new pieces will be cloth. The existing pieces as taut leather. Im sure they sing along.

Whats funny is in the end, audio folk will protest I ruined the acoustics and non audio folk will say, whats all the audio crap agains the back wall. Its hard ro win furnishing and home, living room audio setup.
    PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

A good listening chair is like a comfortable pair of shoes. i'll splurge on both if they leave me relaxed and I'm not constantly aware of their presence.
    Simon Yorke S10 + My Sonic Lab Eminent GL + B.M.C. MCCI Signature ULN | Simon Yorke S9 + Koetsu Rosewood Standard + AcousticPlan Phonomaster | Wadia X-32 | Innuous ZEN Mini Mk II | Valvet Soulshine2 | Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10 MkII | Avantgarde Uno Fino XD

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

I think much more information is required.

Are you starting out with something like the below on your front wall?

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.or...scussion.6197/
      Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc07441-jpg.10628.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	131263

Comment

PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
        Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Well, at least we have one wall accounted for and a general sense of your style favoring.

This looks possibly like a symmetrical room, and with a dedicated listening chair in the sweet-spot. I'm sensing/guessing that flanking full sized 3-seat sofas are too much couch for the room. In which case I recommend flanking love seats, assuming your listening seat is the single round one in posted image.

My wife and I have a small house, went with a loveseat with flanking fuzzy stools for overflow seating - very casual.

The loveseat is of excellent quality even though it is special order from China with a nearly two month waiting period (6-wk). We got two sets of pillows because we read they were rather thin, and they are - the 2 pairs of pillows relaxes the otherwise sort of clean and spartan design. I looked at thousands of loveseats on-line, some come kind of close to this one, but this one is better and half the price.

If you are a smaller person like the wife and I, you can even take a short nap on them.

Gabriola loveseatin ivory boucle by THE ARTICLE.
          https://www.article.com/pla/12859/ga...SABEgI-YPD_BwE
          Click image for larger versionName:	Gabriola Ivory Boucle Loveseat(1).jpgViews:	0Size:	37.3 KBID:	131303
          Attached Files

Comment

What do you do with your arms when listening?

I need arm rests, and like to slouch a bit and lean to one side while sketching and listening.

The $600 Chinese knock-offs on Amazon of the Eames lounge chair and ottoman are rather good, I have two of them. Can maybe find my old bookmark, so many out there and not all the same.

Comment

The chair is super comfortable but yes, its a little tough to sit back and relax in. There is no place to put your arms. Its greatest attribute is it is totally out of the way. As in, it does not impact the focus of sound to your ears. I don't do long sessions in it. Maybe 30 minutes, then push it out of the way.

I think we are going to get a Lignet Roset Exclusif sofa in an L configuration. It takes up the room and is not optimum for listening, but listening is not my life. My life is my life and listening is one part. Having a comfortable living room is another. Then there is everything else. The little chair will still be used. And it sits to the side in a perfect spot. Fills in great with guest.

Comment

These chairs from Lignet Roset are crazy comfortable. We use them every day. Different room. I would almost get more but my TV is behind the crazy art so the sofa needs to be a reclining in product.

Comment

Beautiful wood floor, do you know the species?

I think you have good taste in furniture.

As for myself I've noticed that people first sit where they have an arm rest, must be an insecurity in humans to want to lean on something.

Your choices seem to be mostly free of that and this lends to a lightness to the design.

Some of the Ikea rocking chairs look light enough to move around a room for short periods of serious listening. I once considered going that route myself.

Certainly your furniture choices reflect the multi-use aspect and I can appreciate that, been there, done that.

Comment

Wide plank Birch from Carlisle. 3.5", 5.5" and 7.5" wide. 7 foot to 16 foot lengths. In 2008 during the down turn I got dealer pricing. It was $40,000 in hardwood alone. Installation was separate pricing. We love the floors. They have never really been sanded. They had 4 guys in here with hand held random orbital sanders. They move under your feet. You know they are real medium soft wood. We are a no shoes home.

Were making an Offer on the Flexform Groundpiece sofa. Sectional L style. The beauty of the Groundpiece line is the pieces are built up via a rail system on the bottom. The end of the sofa facing the stereo will have no arm so its a low flat section. Less dampening of the sound. If we later want to break the L, we purchase the missing arm and we now have 2 sofa. Pretty excited. Just trying to get the fabric picked out.

The Lignet Chairs swivel and fit your butt and back so nice. We sit in them every morning and have our coffee. That room is pretty magical. When its dark at 6 and kind of cold, its nice to burn the gas fireplace. A comforting way to see the sun rise. I built the cabinets in my shop. I'm actually pumped to build another house. I love making exactly what we want. This house turned out so nice I cant get my wife to leave. That has been a problem in that "My" plan was to build, live for a couple year and sell. Then repeat. In 5 years we will probably retire with a condo in a city and a home on an island. That is my next home project. Island home because I have to be by fishing. I also have a Robalo R180 with a Yamaha F150. Such an amazing small boat that fishes large. If I wasn't into boating, furniture, etc etc, I would probably have the new Mojo Audio EVO DAC. Owe god the updated software in my server is groundbreaking good. I have a write up I am working on. Way beyond the unit MEP reviewed. Any only a software change.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
                      Wide plank Birch from Carlisle...........

The Lignet Chairs swivel and fit your butt and back so nice. We sit in them every morning and have our coffee............

That is my next home project. Island home because I have to be by fishing.
                      I was hoping it was Birch, I love Birch and have done several furniture and loudspeaker projects with it.

I need a good coffee chair, but it will have to be small enough to squeeze in front of the fireplace. I have seen promising items online at Macy's, a young person or teenage line if I recall correctly. Kids are more adventurous and open minded I guess and get all the good stuff.

As far as the island thing goes, our local Hoverclub of America organizer in Michigan got into hovercraft after surviving a fall though the ice attempting to get to his island retreat. If your island will be where water can freeze hovercraft can be the safest way to travel.

Pirates and the little bugs that bite you at night but you can never see them would keep me away from the Caribbean.

EDIT:

I see Seattle WA in your profile.

Some of the club members took a journey along the coast at one time. When beached for a leg stretch some authority approached them and inquired about their lack of water navigation depth and contour maps. We don't need them, we are using hovercraft and just following the coast.

Comment

• Kingrex
                        Kingrex commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Really, you have hovercraft. Yes, we have rocks that expose during low tide all along the Strait of Juan De Fuca. And around the San Juan islands. Many rocks expose, then disappear as the swells come in. Its pretty easy to wreck a boat. One of my favorite fishing holes is a rock thats a couple miles offshore. At low tide it exposes. And hides in the swells. I almost hit it myself once.

Were looking at an island called Lopez. This water was once frozen about 10 to 20 thousand years ago. Not any more. Its a ferry traffic island. There are plenty of non ferry islands too, but they dont have the amenities. And small islands can have water issues. All do actually. There is no pipe from the mainland. All wells. You have to select land wisely.

My hovercraft like my big tube amp needs some work to be operational again, but I still have both.

This outfit has the most stable large wave capable and quite craft (for their size), and they have a simple braking system that works pretty well.

https://www.amphibiousmarine.com/
                      3121 SE Kamilche Point Rd. Shelton, WA 98584
                      History
                      https://www.amphibiousmarine.com/history/

And this is one of the big trip adventures out your way I recall reading about years ago.

Alaska Trip
                      https://hovercraft-kits.com/pages/alaska-trip

I personally have only been on this make of hovercraft once, and it was everything I hoped it would be.

More information about the club below, and they have a classified section. I think they also still list regional "Ambassadors" that can introduce you to the hobby.

https://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/c...?sl=1518933641

I think there is more action at the Facebook site these days.

Comment

Working...
                      X