Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really nice room

Comment

You know that one really nice chair sums up this hobby in general. Solitude !

Comment

Really nice Bob,
        Chris
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5 or W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e22Mkll, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se, HD800, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow, Kimber cables

Comment

tima commented:

I like the color scheme.

Any particular fabric for the curtains?

How do you expect the listening triangle will measure?

Tima, the curtain fabric is not acoustic specific, though it was measured by the acoustical contractor. The curtains across the hallway and stairs will have three inside layers of the same "Lumitex" fabric that was laid between carpet and pad. The curtains across the front of the room will have just one inner layer of the Lumitex. This is a fabric developed by the acoustician and in the curtains acts as diffusor and absorber. The ripples in the curtains and the fold ratio were specified as part of the acoustic plan. When a ripple is facing the room the curved inner layers diffuse the sound, when the ripple faces out of the room there is absorbtion.

Re: listening triangle, previously the tweeters were 12.25' apart, and my listening position was shy of 15' back. The speakers were pretty deep into the corners, so not too far out into the room. But I extended the width of the recessed alcove on the left side of the room, about 20" towards the front wall. So the room, on that side should seem a little wider with respect to speaker placement. The starting point for the recess now reflects the right side "alcove" though the right side is deeper. And the right side alcove is not as wide as the one on the left. Previously there was all manor of man-cave nonsense on the right, including a small fridge, microwave, wet-bar, even a dishwasher. Above all that was a substantial bank of cupboards. So, on the right side with all that removed, the speaker placement will likely move a little to the right.

Below are a few pics of the original room:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	before_sm.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.1 KB ID:	41301
          This is how things looked before the demo began. Pics below show what I started with when we first moved in 3 years back...

Click image for larger version  Name:	front_original.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.0 KB ID:	41294
          Click image for larger version  Name:	right-sm.jpg Views:	1 Size:	36.9 KB ID:	41295
          Click image for larger version  Name:	left-sm.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.8 KB ID:	41296
          Click image for larger version  Name:	back-sm.jpg Views:	2 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	41298
          Click image for larger version  Name:	stairs-sm.jpg Views:	1 Size:	34.6 KB ID:	41299
          Click image for larger version  Name:	hallway-sm.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.6 KB ID:	41300

Attached Files
          Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (balanced, dual mono version), Audio Research DAC8, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal, Ref MM2 speaker cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Comment

I can see how removing "the kitchen" and screen were on your list. Wlll have to remember Lumitex when I recarpet.

A dedicated effort, Bob - you've put a lot into it and it shows. I imagine anticipation is growing for the day you'll draw the curtains and lower the tonearm.

Do you still have the Alexias and the Ref 10?
            Spkr: Wilson Alexias; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 1.5; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Ξtron Anaconda PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton II, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class XL plus2 amp stands, Stillpoints 5s under spkrs; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

Yes, the only new addition to my rig with the remodel was a 6 meter pair of Transparent Gen5 Reference interconnects. Moving the rig to the side vs. between the speakers required the change.

What other phono amps did you consider before choosing the Ref10?
              Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (balanced, dual mono version), Audio Research DAC8, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal, Ref MM2 speaker cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBob View Post
                Yes, the only new addition to my rig with the remodel was a 6 meter pair of Transparent Gen5 Reference interconnects. Moving the rig to the side vs. between the speakers required the change.

6 meters (which is what I have from line to amps) is a bit of an Ouch! But I'm betting you'll be happy with your front-end on the side.

I seriously considered the Ypsilon VPS-100 + Ypsilon Step-up transformer and the Allnic H5000. Already having the Ref 10 linestage made the Ref 10 Phono a compelling case on the synergy front; balanced circuit, being made in the US, flexibility, simple to retube and a remote added to that case. It's not broken in yet (~180 hrs) but I'll go out on a limb and say the Ref 10 Phono is better than the Ref 10. I'm confident the others would make fine additions and for now I'd make the same choice again.
                Spkr: Wilson Alexias; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 1.5; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Ξtron Anaconda PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton II, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class XL plus2 amp stands, Stillpoints 5s under spkrs; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

One of the guys in my music group is named Bob and I refer to him Bad Bob, alias Awful Robert :-).

He and his brother Richard are dentists, so when they attend my music sessions together I call out,

"Look, it's my two good friends, what a pair of Docs"

Some people would call this Pun ishment

Comment

My new vinyl cabinet is almost done! Just a few minor details and stain. (It will go in the alcove/niche on the right wall.)

The drawer faces will be covered with fabric, and the drawer box and face thickness, along with the fabric, were acounted for in the acoustic modeling of the room. I'll have another built for the rear of the room in the not too distant future.

Just under the lip at the top will be a strip of LED tape lights, witha small touch/tap switch recessed under the top corner—so you can see the labels as you thumb through.

Comment

Here's a couple pics of the room with the curtains. With the extra layers of Lumitex in the stairway and hallway curtains, they just weren't behaving with the frequency of folds originally spec'd. (The front curtains have only 1 layer of the Lumitex, which while a little stiff is trying to fold as designed.) So I had them attach every other carrier which made the ripples much larger & deeper. Depending on what the acoustician measures once everything is setup, I may add another bolt-width of curtains to both sides of the stairway grouping. This would make the ripples a little closer together, creating a more dense barrier to sound entering the room from upstairs. There are a pair of Viking fridges just at the top of the stairs, and they're a bit noisy in a white noise kind of way.) How that might affect the whole room performance would have to be modeled.

The LED trims I am waiting on will highlight the curtains and back wall the same as those in the recessed niches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	46462

Name:	
Views:	3
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	46460

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	46461

Name:	
Views:	3
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	46459

Comment

When does the equipment move in?
                      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• BadBob
                        BadBob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi Myles, once I get the damn recessed lighting trims installed. Been struggling with the vendor since December to get the right trims, I finally cancelled the order yesterday and ordered online. The local outfit I was working with (I do try to support local vendors when I can) screwed up the order three times, once causing a 2 month delay, the second time a month long delay, and I wasn't going to wait to see how long the last f-up was going to take. Since installing the trims will knock drywall debris into the room, and because I'll be moving around with ladder, I've just been waiting until the room is done-done before setting up the rig. Hopefully by end of the month.

• MylesBAstor
                        MylesBAstor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Got the rig assembled over the weekend. Initial impressions of the acoustics are very, very positive. In a couple weeks my Wilson dealer will come down to setup/voice the Alexias. As I have them now the image is well centered but top to bottom coherence isn't dialed in, and dynamics are not quite what I know they will be. Fortunately, the fellow who does Wilson setups for my dealer is a wizard and knows how to get the most out of any room.

Besides speaker setup, I have a new Denali 6000T on order, and my vinyl cabinet will be delivered this weekend. After 6+ months (we started October 13) it is soooo nice to have music playing again.

Comment

Those stairs look cool and must have been a nightmare to install wow
                        I assume they were completely built in place

Comment

• BadBob
                          BadBob commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The stairs were part of the original house design. We got the house for a bargain... it was one a "street of dreams" show house in 2007. Built right when the market for jumbo loans disappeared. I think the builder went bankrupt carrying the house for over a year—before it sold for a very large discount vs. original asking price. We came along in 2013 and the price had not recovered, but in fact kept slipping. I like to say we got a dream house for half off! Not that we haven't put some money into some areas that were neglected.

Got the rig assembled over the weekend. Initial impressions of the acoustics are very, very positive. In a couple weeks my Wilson dealer will come down to setup/voice the Alexias. As I have them now the image is well centered but top to bottom coherence isn't dialed in, and dynamics are not quite what I know they will be. Fortunately, the fellow who does Wilson setups for my dealer is a wizard and knows how to get the most out of any room.

Besides speaker setup, I have a new Denali 6000T on order, and my vinyl cabinet will be delivered this weekend. After 6+ months (we started October 13) it is soooo nice to have music playing again.
                        Nice painting errrr....view!
                        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

.... After 6+ months (we started October 13) it is soooo nice to have music playing again.
                          I'm sure it is. You've been very patient, which obviously paid off. What kind of music do you play?

Comment

Working...
                          X