No announcement yet.

BadBob's sound room remodel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My speaker setup guy from Seattle came down Saturday and spent better part of 6 hours getting the Alexias sounding their best in the new space. Sonically, listening to "Stimella" on Hugh Masakela's HOPE lp, there is a large percussive climax near the end of the song that in the prior space just became a bit of a hot mess—the energy just got the room too excited and the sound became confused. Sure the transient attacks were there, but overall things kind of went to hell. Now, after the remodel, I am able to crank it and that climax remains clear and focused. On that score, the remodel is a huge success—big orchestral crescendos remain tightly focused, to the point where the little REF75 with KT150s might actually start to show a little weakness. Maybe a GS150 is in the future, or REF250s?

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	52194
    With speakers properly setup and the new vinyl storage cabinet in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	52195
    View from listening position—Merlin the cat gives the new room "the cat's meow" symbol of approval.
    Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (balanced, dual mono version), dCS Rossini DAC, Roon ROCK, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal, Ref MM2 speaker cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Comment

• Sgood@verizon.net
      Sgood@verizon.net commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, really, really nice. Great effort and great result.

• BadBob
      BadBob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the kind words y'all. Amazing to know a multi-year project has come to fruition. For a while I thought it was a bad dream, with money that kept flowing through my fingers and nothing but false summits.

• Garth
      Garth commented
      Editing a comment
      I have 3 cats a solid white blue-eyed Maine Coon named Magic a Bengal male Ronin and a Red Ginger that looks just like yours also named Merlin Now if my room only looked like yours very well done and a great view hope you have some lights outside for night time. Truly a great job

What a beautiful looking room and it must sound amazing.
    One question where is the head vice located on the chair lol. Just kidding. Truly stunning room enjoy

Comment

Love the REF 75 but for your room, definitely the REF 250SEs. :-)
      Super project - congrats!
      Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

A really great looking room. Well done and I bet it sounds awesome too. Enjoy.
        Room 1, Room 2, Office

Comment

Bob, that is stunning! Congrats my friend.
          Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Is that heaven?
            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
              Is that heaven?
              I think it has to be Johnny.

Bob its, fantastic.
              Chris
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5 or W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e22Mkll, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Quicksilver mid-monos, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se, HD800, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow, Kimber cables

Comment

One of the best looking audio rooms I have ever seen. Congrats. BTW, is that a Maine Coon in front of the glass wall?
                Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: conrad-johnson GAT Series 2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power conditioner: P.I.Audio: UberBuss with Furutech FI-E30 NCF; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
                  One of the best looking audio rooms I have ever seen. Congrats. BTW, is that a Maine Coon in front of the glass wall?
                  Not a purebred, but yes Merlin is mosly Maine Coon. Struggling a little lately as he got some fleas and we tried a couple different topical treatments, but the treatments made him scratch/bite off his hair more than the fleas. Fleas to cats must be what misquitos are to me.

Thanks for the kind words on the room. I've had a few late night listening sessions this week and the room sounds truly wonderful/amazing. Very organic and not hi-fi sounding was how my speaker setup guy descibed it. And he added "your room can really do bass now". Only the third cut on side A of Daft Punk "Random Access Memories" got a little congested at 100+ db listening, but probably stressing the REF75 at that point, as I expect during that one overly frenetic passage any system would be stressed. Maybe a new reference cut for me to see if any system can sort that passage out? Most of the track sounds f'ing amazing, just that one section of climaxic frenzy was a challenge.
                  Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (balanced, dual mono version), dCS Rossini DAC, Roon ROCK, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal, Ref MM2 speaker cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Comment

• mep
                    mep commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Was that the LP of Daft Punk?

• BadBob
                    BadBob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As above... "Random Access Memories"

• David Z
                    David Z commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Beautiful system and room. All of your patience has definitely payed off.

Beautiful - I hope I can talk Santa into a couple of those Ekornes Chairs for my room...Just awesome...
                  Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI Mag Drive / Rim Drive HRX w Avenger Reference footers, 2 - 12" VPI 3DR tonearms, 1 - 12" VPI Stainless Steel tonearm, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Truth Mod OPPO 105, Western Electric Speaker wire, DIY & Discovery interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd love one too but my kitties would destroy the leather.

Re: Starting Point - Bob's new room and Alexia's new home
                  I've been living with the new room now for a couple of months, listening for a hour or two at a time as my schedule would allow. Speakers have not moved since they were setup & voiced by my Wilson rep, but I did move the gear rack about 6 inches toward the front of the room—mostly for aesthetics, but also so my power cables would reach the Shunyata conditioner.

Last night I had a few audiophiles over for a "debut'' of the new space. A few comments are listed below:

Leo said:
                  "There's such a big difference in the bass! And in the overall acoustics of the room. I'd say it's a big success."

Mike said:
                  "Bob, very impressed with the outcome. Excellent soundstage, pinpoint positioning of instruments, vocalists are there in the room. You can hear the emotion in their voices. Nice bass, tuned, balanced and deep. Tonal balance is good throughout. Please don't try and tweak, just let your soul enjoy the good music you've collected."

George said:
                  Thanks for having us over and for the excellent wine. First the room looks really great, dedicated listing room for sure. I thought the prior room was great, this is even better. Also love the wine cellar. As for sound, definitely a step or two better, except for the bass, that is a quantum leap better. Amazing how much better the bass became without losing the detail yet increasing the soundstage. Great investment and worth the time spent.

I have to say it is comforting to have some folks who are true audiophiles offer positive comments. While I have been saying to my wife how much better the room sounds, there has been that nagging voice in my head that says maybe its all just expectation bias.

Oh yes, also just added Shunyata Triton v3 and New AlphaNR cable (between Triton and Ref10). The triton replaced a Hydra v2, 4 or 5 generations old. A not subtle lowering of noise floor, everything comes through with a bit more presence, weight, and 'verve'. Still settling in—the new Shunyata process of pre-conditioning the unit before shipping means it is already about 90+% done. Nice upgrade!

With the new room, I feel now like my systems is at least playing in the big leagues. No where near some folks level, but I'd be happy sharing some tunes with even the most seasoned audiophile. Y'all are welcome if you're in Portland, Oregon area or passing through.

Comment

• Hawk
                    Hawk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome room. Congrats! Beautiful set-up. Interested in your opinions on the Triton V3 and the new Alpha NR cables. I have a Denali for 2 channel and a Triton V1 for my A/V set up. My power cables are all Sigma.

• Ritmo
                    Ritmo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Congratulations Bob! After a large investment and months of construction, I'm glad you are very happy with the results. Enjoy in good health.

• BadBob
                    BadBob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Updated my signature... somehow left out my turntable: AMG v12

And now... my sweet, wonderful wife is buying me a birthday present for my 60th... my old Audio Research DAC 8 is to be replaced with (drum roll)... a dCS Rossini. I'm excited!

Comment

May I ask what is or will be your source for the dacs ? Your room looks wonderful and must sound amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                      May I ask what is or will be your source for the dacs ? Your room looks wonderful and must sound amazing
                      Files will exist on a solid state drive installed in a Roon Rock, and also on ssd connected via USB to the Rock when I need more storage. (As drive capacity increases and prices drop, I may just get larger drive and put it in the Rock.) It was quick and easy to buy the Intel NUC, my dealer is setting up the Rock software for me, and will deliver it fully configured when he comes to install the Rossini. Rock will reside in a closet away from the music room, Rossini will be connected to wired ethernet.

Comment

Working...
                      X