Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Critical Listening Sweet-spot Seating - What are you Using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critical Listening Sweet-spot Seating - What are you Using?

I am thinking about changing / upgrading my listening chair and would like some input on how you chose what you are using. How you would rate what you have chosen in both acoustic impact and comfort and maybe visuals if that is applicable in your case.

Listening Chairs

Listening Chair, Part Deux

Comment

• Garth
      Garth commented
      Editing a comment
      Meow

One Candidate : Ikea Poang

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
      Steve Lefkowicz commented
      Editing a comment
      My son has one. I think they look nice and are kind of comfortable for a nap, but sit too low and lean back too far for comfortable sitting, at least for me.

A comfortable solid, non adjustable consideration : Toscano Winnie

Comment

Airline surplus overstock .. this one's was for an Airbus project

Comment

• Bill Hart
        Bill Hart commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have a buxom hostess in a tight fitting uniform offering drinks and saying 'Is there anything else I can get you, sir?'

cool.
        An underseat floatation device too, I'll bet!

My wife and I are small and listening is part of our living room/dining room. The chairs have to be acceptable to us as general seating and not specialized audio chairs. They have to be comfy for us which means small by big box furniture store standards. I prefe a chair that swivels where the back is well below my ears.
      TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite Level 2X AC Cords, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

This hobby is so one person minded. I use a couch but sit back some 18 feet from them. So many rooms have one chair reminds of star track and command post o just don’t get that part. But I am the odd person in this train reck hobby.
        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

• c1ferrari
          c1ferrari commented
          Editing a comment
          Couch here, too.

• Garth
          Garth commented
          Editing a comment
          Couch here as well need room for the cats

• lance002
          lance002 commented
          Editing a comment
          +100

I have the Ikea Poang (sp) chair and have been pleased with them. If I ever came across a bag of money, I would love to get a couple Herman MIller Eames chars..

Comment

Chairs are like everything else in this hobby-nobody can agree on anything. If a 100 people chime in on this thread, you will get 100 different opinions on the chair you should buy. It won't be a coincidence that the chair people will recommend are the ones they own. Buy whatever pleases you both aesthetically and comfort wise.
          SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Bill Hart
            Bill Hart commented
            Editing a comment
            I disagree.

• c1ferrari
            c1ferrari commented
            Editing a comment
            I disagree that you agree.

Probably as close as I will get to having an AMG C63s coupe - just add swivel base

Comment

Many folks use the Ikea Poang and I did too for a while. However, I find the seat height is quite low + the headrest behind the ears is a detriment to sound. Here's what I currently use. Poang for when friends come over.. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_093959.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	101274
            3 dedicated 20A circuits | PS Audio PPP | HDPlex LPSU -> Music PC | UltraCap LPS-1.2 -> Sonore Ultrarendu | Aqua Formula xHD DAC | Purity Audio Silver Statement preamp | Wells Audio Innamorata amp (mid/tweet) | Musical Fidelity A308CR amp (woofers) | Vivid Audio Giya G2 Series 2 | 2 JL Audio F113 subs | JPS Labs SC3 ICs + Aluminata/SC2 SCs | Stillpoints | Custom Baltic birch rack | Fully treated + dedicated 2 channel room

Comment

After lots of discomfort with my cute but uncomfortable for long listening sessions Ikea chairs, I sucked it up and bought an Ekornes Stressless chair. Mine is a variation of the Magic. I finally have a perfect listening chair. Certainly not inexpensive but if you look around you can sometimes find a sale or perfect lightly used chair at a discounted price. I am tall and finding comfortable is quite a challenge. Thankfully this chair just works.
              Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, Dunlavy SC4s, VPI HRX Reference w Avenger mag drive and Reference footers, Gimbal Fatboy, Yamaha GT2000 for Mono, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Audio Note UK- 3.1X II balanced DAC, Meridian Sooloos, Western Electric Speaker wire, mostly diy balanced interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

Very personal. I have been using a Eames Aluminun group executive chair with matching ottoman. After 10 years it’s melded with my body and plenty supportive.

Ear near tweeter height is usually the first place to start. Some like just below tweeter.

Comment

I sit back 17 feet from my speakers a simple low couch is fine.
                  speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                  mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                  digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

I use the Crate and Barrel Petrie (have three in my music room). This is a classic looking mid century modern chair. Very comfortable and with the right heigh for the back and head (no conflict with sound that can be experienced with high back chairs). And, you can custom order it with a wide selection of fabrics and leathers. Very reasonably priced.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/petri...-chair/s337208

Comment

Working...
                    X