Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of Basic Room Acoustic Measurements

Starting on the same page.
    Read this article to learn more about the four main types of acoustic measurements and how to analyze them.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

From my personal trials and tribulations in measuring my room in search of a better sound, unless you are ready to do this completely don't get started on it. Knowing/Learning the basics can help make a room sound better but, to get it right takes time and effort. There is a learning curve to be had here so be ready to read alot and try alot of what you read to fully understand how it all works... It would seem simple I assure you it is not that simple... If you are like me then you will not be happy with just the basics, you will want to get it all as best as you can.. One thing tends to lead to another and so on down the line..

Comment

I have read a lot of pages on room acoustics treatments. All of them just repeating the same theory in broad terms, but no one showing a good and detailed example of application in a real room targeted to an high end system, displaying full measurements before, during and after the treatment.

I should say that I would love to see the full measurements of the best known and often referred great listening rooms in the high-end forums, such as the ones of David Wilson, Jacob Heilbrunn, Winston Ma, Mike Lavigne and Albert Porter.

My opinions rely on listening mainly to acoustical, non amplified music. I do not care about electronic music or listening to rock at stadium levels, but I enjoy Mahler and Shostakovitch.

Comment

Originally posted by microstrip View Post
        I have read a lot of pages on room acoustics treatments. All of them just repeating the same theory in broad terms, but no one showing a good and detailed example of application in a real room targeted to an high end system, displaying full measurements before, during and after the treatment.

I should say that I would love to see the full measurements of the best known and often referred great listening rooms in the high-end forums, such as the ones of David Wilson, Jacob Heilbrunn, Winston Ma, Mike Lavigne and Albert Porter.

Agreed, I too would like to see measurements of the pros call a good room. Like you I have never been able to find one, also as I understand it as a whole most people who have their rooms done by pros end up with a almost dead room!!! Not what I was after for sure, I don't need my room to be like a recording studio.

Comment

Originally posted by jcmusic View Post
          Agreed, I too would like to see measurements of the pros call a good room. Like you I have never been able to find one, also as I understand it as a whole most people who have their rooms done by pros end up with a almost dead room!!! Not what I was after for sure, I don't need my room to be like a recording studio.

Its seems to me, that these guys are great at building HT rooms. But they are all over the place with recommendations. Anyone remember the disastrous sounding live end-dead end rooms that were oh-so popular in the '90s. Dead end was an apt description.

But I guess the point was we all have issues in our rooms and how do we work them out. Slap echo. Boomy bass. Suckouts.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
          -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Its seems to me, that these guys are great at building HT rooms. But they are all over the place with recommendations. Anyone remember the disastrous sounding live end-dead end rooms that were oh-so popular in the '90s. Dead end was an apt description.

But I guess the point was we all have issues in our rooms and how do we work them out. Slap echo. Boomy bass. Suckouts.
            Myles,
            Bass traps and Reflection panels are the primary treatment neded, after that you need to Eq the room. Depending on what the room's issues were to start with will determine what is needed and how much. It's balancing act that you must perform.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
              (...) But I guess the point was we all have issues in our rooms and how do we work them out. Slap echo. Boomy bass. Suckouts.
              Modern design and minimalist furniture is a serious problem to system builders. In classical decoration, filled with cushioned seating, large furniture, paintings, rugs and curtains probably you will not need bass traps or panels. However if the room only has a few chairs and some light elements, lots of glass and marble floor the decay times risk to be too high. Each room is a case.

And we can not forget speakers differ a lot. Some manufacturers are very specific on what we should not do in the zone of their speakers!
              My opinions rely on listening mainly to acoustical, non amplified music. I do not care about electronic music or listening to rock at stadium levels, but I enjoy Mahler and Shostakovitch.

Comment

Working...
              X