Looking Back at the Concept of Stereo Imaging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Back at the Concept of Stereo Imaging

Not an easy read but worth the time to slog thru.

The author demonstrating stereo microphone techniques at an English audio show in 1981.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

an interesting read and as relevant today as it was in 1981. Its clear that 'soundstaging' is often a psychoacoustic manipulation of the recording venue. Japanese D2D from the 70s replete with liner notes/illustrations come to mind. Drawings depicting the recording venue and how musician are positioned within 'the stage' to give the end listener a heightened realism of what the recorded venue was like, but in reality it's quite synthetic. They're usually recorded in isolation (acoustic environments) and mixed down to simulate a left-right stage with ceneterfill, depth and other effects.
    How Do You Beat Audiophile Nervosa?

Step Number 1: Upgrade your music collection first. If you do it correctly that should keep you busy in perpetuity.

Comment

Indeed. Because I listen to almost exclusively music that was recorded in a studio (rock and jazz), I haven’t ever been a soundstaging freak. Tonal balance, timbre, frequency extension, dynamic swing are all more important to me than things like soundstage depth.
      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
      VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
      DIGITAL: Oppo BDP-95, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Stereo imaging / "soundstaging" has always been a prime criteria with me. But then I realized that being an old fart, my first experiences were with the original RCA and Merc stereo record age whereby those wonderful engineers and producers set up simple equipment, tried to capture the performance as you would hear it in a concert hall environment, and didn't (know to) FUTZ with what they captured on 2/3 track tape. A lot of the orchestral recordings, Broadway recordings and operas were done in HUGE venues - and sounded so. SO even tho I had crap equipment, the experience infected and stayed with me.

2 channel stereo IS capable of producing immense width and depth. Some would claim height, but I won't go there. Was listening last night to a Debussy string Quartet (Juilliard SQ, 60's RCA dub) and the music filled all corners of the room. I can walk down a hall at a show and can tell when the system/music playing in a room has "imaging" just by the sound coming out through the scant doorway. Anyone else experience that?

I'd posit that the advent of multitrack recorders in the early/mid 60's "killed" imaging - certainly allowed its other "more practical" features to subsume it. I'd also make the argument that generations that grew up on rock recordings don't know and certainly don't care about depth.

Charles

Comment

Whew! I read this yesterday, and again this morning. All I have to say is that I dislike the fact that the engineers of many modern bands (ca Sixties onward) have spread the drum kit across the entire image.

Comment

An interesting addition and perspective on stereo coming of age...

Listening/Living room is 25.5x14.5x8.5, modestly live and dynamic, Brinkmann Balance w/RöNT II PS, HRS, Reed P3-12, Miyajima Zero, Avid Acutus SP, SME V w/Kondo fairy hair silver litz, Lyra Kleos, Linn Sondek LP12 w/Ittok LVII, Nakamichi ZX-7, Sony SCD-XA5400ES, Aesthetix Calypso & Rhea Signatures, Nordost TYR Norse 2 XLR IC, Silent Source Music Ref mains, Atma-Sphere MA1 Mk.3.4 OTL Silver Edition monoblocks, Elrod EPS-3 Sign power cables, Coincident Techn PREt, PS Audio Premiere, Yamamoto racks

Comment

Working...
            X