• Jan 2016

Overview of Concert Hall Acoustics

epn2015461p15.pdf
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Doshi EVO phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, vdh Colibri Master Signature, Mutech Hayabusa,
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna, Audience FrontRow; Audience FrontRow, Genesis Advanced Technologies , Goldmund and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.3+ platforms.
  • JazzboBob
    • Jul 2016

I'm glad to see Myles start this topic. I hear the Philadelphia Orchestra performances live in many venues around the world and can assure you the acoustical setting deeply effects our performances and sound. The musicians and conductors need to adjust everything in order for their performances to be properly presented and heard. I'm currently in Vail, Colorado performing in a beautiful outdoor venue that doesn't even have a rear wall. We look out to a mountain side garden. I was in Philly last week playing at the huge MANN Center. And next month will be travelling to Saratoga Springs, New York where we will be celebrating our 50th year as a resident performing group. I assume we all recognize the acoustical needs at home and the challenges they present in room placement of our speakers, equipment and listening locations. I was able to bring Joe Kubala backstage at Carnegie Hall and then go out into the house to hear our 30 minute pre-concert soundcheck. Joe discretely walked around to several seat locations to hear the shifts from side to side and front to back. I was paying attention to Yannick's directions to the musicians and hearing him balance the winds and strings, modify their volume, and ask for different articulations compared to how they performed the night before in Philadelphia. I currently have been reviewing and using many of the room treatments from Synergistic Research. There are other designs and approaches too, both passive and active. They all do something that is worth experimenting with hearing at home.

Comment

Working...