Ten Best Concert Halls in the World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Best Concert Halls in the World

What happened to Carnegie? Someone forget it?

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-...6-10?r=UK&IR=T
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Maybe it never recovered from the stigma of the renovation.

Comment

Carnegie Hall 1-10.😁 La Scala excellent and La Fenice excellent
      Norhing built in the last 50 years.😩Although the Barbican in London not bad. Haven't been in severance, symphony Hall Boston, Chicago Sym Hall.

there are some small venues like Mechanics Hall in MA which are suppose to be excellent I haven't visited.
      TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
      Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        I think there are few down toward the bottom of the list that are from the last thirty years. It would be interesting to look at the list and how many have remained intact for the most part for their lifetime. For instance, it seems the Tchaikovsky Hall has undergone many rennovations.

http://www.meloman.ru/hall/koncertnyj-zal-chajkovskogo/

I've heard concerts in the first 3. Can't disagree with those. Also they are the home to three of the top orchestras in the world - Vienna Phil, BSO, and Royal Concertgebouw. However, most of the other halls on the list are not home to very good orchestras. Birmingham has a quite good, but not great orchestra. Dallas is also good, but not great. None of the rest have quality orchestras. I'm not including the bonus halls, just the top ten.

Part of the problem is that most of the top orchestras play in big halls, to bring in the crowds and the money. The typical great sounding shoebox has 1600-2000 seats, not 2500-3000+.

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Oh yes, musicverein. Forgot but have never benn able to get tickets. I have been in the Concertgebouw. Also excellent.
        TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
        Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Comment

Troy Savings Bank Music Hall is one that is often overlooked but has wonderful acoustics.

http://www.troymusichall.org/discove...Hall_57_pg.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	29861Click image for larger version

Name:	download (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	29862Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	29863

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
            I've heard concerts in the first 3. Can't disagree with those. Also they are the home to three of the top orchestras in the world - Vienna Phil, BSO, and Royal Concertgebouw. However, most of the other halls on the list are not home to very good orchestras. Birmingham has a quite good, but not great orchestra. Dallas is also good, but not great. None of the rest have quality orchestras. I'm not including the bonus halls, just the top ten.

Part of the problem is that most of the top orchestras play in big halls, to bring in the crowds and the money. The typical great sounding shoebox has 1600-2000 seats, not 2500-3000+.

Larry
            Agreed. You saw the comment about the "shoebox" halls. Despite their acoustics, everyone wants sexy nowadays. And sexy brings uneven sound distribution thoughout the hall.

Symphony Hall in Boston is the best I've ever heard. Better than Carnegie even in its heyday. Just crystalline clarity and a wave of sound on big pieces--take Mahler for instance--that just washes over you. And the creaking of the seats just adds a little realism to the sound!

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
              Troy Savings Bank Music Hall is one that is often overlooked but has wonderful acoustics.

http://www.troymusichall.org/discove...Hall_57_pg.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	29861Click image for larger version

Name:	download (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	29862Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	29863
              troy certainly gets 👍On aesthetics. Very classic old school look where all elevated side seating are boxes. No stage shell because the room is small enough to not require it. I'd love to hear it.

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
              Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Comment

I think the shoebox shapes are supposed to be the best. I go to Barbican a few times a month, and love the LSO, and usually get a good seat, but unfortunately it does not have the best reputation for sound. Though I think in the good seats it is fine. It really loses it a bit at the sides. I have been to concertgebouw once and it was brilliant. I have been to Birmingham a couple of times but while the acoustics are better, it cannot match the LSO at the Barbican. I will try to go to Vienna and Concertgebouw for large orchestras.

Comment

Both the Concertgebouw - which I have visited many times - and the Musikverein (which I visited only once) are marvelous for big orchestral pieces. I would love to visit the Boston Symphony hall. What about the hall of San Fransisco: is it good? I like some of the symphonies that MTT recorded in that hall (including some of the Mahler symphonies).

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Agreed. You saw the comment about the "shoebox" halls. Despite their acoustics, everyone wants sexy nowadays. And sexy brings uneven sound distribution thoughout the hall.

Symphony Hall in Boston is the best I've ever heard. Better than Carnegie even in its heyday. Just crystalline clarity and a wave of sound on big pieces--take Mahler for instance--that just washes over you. And the creaking of the seats just adds a little realism to the sound!
                    Give the architects Magnepans, then shoebox will be the new sexy.

Comment

If you want a read on the different designs of concert halls, the reasons why finally so few concert halls are well rated (at least the ones not built in last 2 decades) and the role of psycho-acoustics, then the following document that is extremely well written is a must read:
                      AcousticBrief_PdP_2006.pdf
                      Distributor for Aries Cerat, Primary Control, Signal Projects Stacore, 432EVO for Belgium and The Netherlands.
                      www.ultisone.be or facebook/ultisone

Comment

Originally posted by flyer View Post
                        If you want a read on the different designs of concert halls, the reasons why finally so few concert halls are well rated (at least the ones not built in last 2 decades) and the role of psycho-acoustics, then the following document that is extremely well written is a must read:
                        Another Belgian has joined the board. I am not alone anymore! Great having you here Flyer.

Comment

Having watched Bernard Haitink do Bruckner 7 in Concertgebouw at 154 Euros, and at Barbican at either 40 or 65 GBP (don't remember), I much preferred the latter, nothing to do with costs which made the whole deal sweeter. This is possibly because of the LSO at the Barbican, plus that I have learned to optimize my seating there (the Barbican sounds great in some back of center stalls seats, and quite bad in other seats, while I believe the Concertgebouw is more consistent across).

But a new hall I fell in love with was the Sheldonian at Oxford - it is a small intimate venue, where people sit surrounding the performers, with steps going up from the stage, looking down. So for a piano concerto (Saint-saens) I sat above the angle of the lid, looking down the open lid of the piano). It is also an excellent venue for other chamber like Debussy preludes etc, and I am planning to watch Maxim Vengerov there. It cannot do big pieces unfortunately, but I haven't heard anything remotely close in piano and strings. It is worth flying over from EU to listen to this at least once.

Comment

I suppose it should always be about sound, but watching a performance at a hall or small venue with loads of history is worth the price of admission as well. When you walk into a place like Massey Hall and know that so many performances were recorded there it gives you a feeling of history and being in a place that was valued by the musicians and patrons alike. It's special. It's no different than walking around the old Montreal Forum or Maple Leaf Gardens. Magic happened there and one can feel it. And while the acoustics of the Grand Halls are perhaps vastly superior, the history of a venue is easily enjoyed by me as well.
                            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
                              1morerecord2clean commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Not necessarily but ultimately sound is important JV. But let me say that as good as Carnegie is the upstairs is only rivaled by coach on a plane for discomfort. The academy of Music in Philly was even worse with giant support columns placed along rows of seats upstairs. And that feeling of history is always with me at Carnegie. Have you ever seen the movie Carnegie Hall?

• MylesBAstor
                              MylesBAstor commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Don't forget the hall's sound also impacts the musician's playing eg. How well they can hear each other.
                          Working...
                          X