Need Catagory for posts about tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Catagory for posts about tuners

Need Catagory for posts about tuners. Maybe sub catagories for analog,digital, tube, solid state
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

I agree, have four tuners and wouldn't mind hearing what others have done for aerials in urban areas, in particular those living in Manhattan

Comment

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      I have five currently,three digital, two analog, all SS

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      IF you can, put a pair of rabbit ears out on the patio.

what is a Tuner

Comment

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      An analog source that sounds better than spotify

Anything sounds better than spotify , I have a Tandberg stereo and Pioneer Elite, I love local jazz stations, we have one here in Miami that still spins vinyl and tape along with cd's

Comment

not meaning to hijack the thread but just an observation.... I had Sirius radio in my wife's car - fm sounded better....

Comment

I'd like to add my vote for inclusion of a tuner category. Also, within that category, I'd add another subject; antennae -- which are essential and require even more attention than do the tuners that depend upon them.
        -Steve
        webmaster at The Analog Dept.
        system list:Classe' CAP 151 integrated, Carver TX-11b Tuner, NHT 2.9 Speakers, Thorens TD124 ( plus other Thorens models), Otari MX-5050 BII-2 R2R, Jolida JD100 cd player, ML-9600 digital recorder

Comment

I'm not sure tuners would get very much attention here. I have a Marantz 10b , Sherwood 3000 and a Scott 310. Unfortunately, FM is largely dead or dying.

We're fortunate in my market to have a great Jazz station 91.1 Toronto and CBC our national broadcaster has equally good Jazz and classical. Most of the other markets I used to listen to have gone automated commercial and if you listen to the regulators who knows what will happen to the bandwidth.

There are good tuner boards at audio asylum , audiokarma and one other that escapes me . They all are fairly robust and you might gain more there than starting new here.

Cheers.
          Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
          Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
          Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
          Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
          Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
          Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• JCOConnell
            JCOConnell commented
            Editing a comment
            Is it true the the Marantz 10B needs service often and has a couple of hard to find tubes? ( I have a 20B).

• kcin
            kcin commented
            Editing a comment
            I've had the 10b serviced when I bought to base line it by ,Mike Zuccaro, who is an expert. It has been a rock solid performer .

The stories around constant service etc. are mostly urban myths. You do have to follow a very specific protocol with pre-heating the unit etc. but once done it is very stable.

All the tubes are still easily available.

I wouldn't mind some schooling' on tuners once I get my McI 110Z from the restorer. I thought that Magnum Dynalab? antenna was the bomb for radio aficionados, but since I'm clueless, enlighten me.

Comment

• JCOConnell
            JCOConnell commented
            Editing a comment
            nothing beats a good ( or even simple ) outdoor antenna.

• Bill Hart
            Bill Hart commented
            Editing a comment
            You can put the one i mentioned outdoors- it is a uni or omni directional vertical thing.
            I've read that old school rabbit ears (indoor) are surprisingly good.
            This almost takes me back to childhood, BC (Before Cable), you'd have a big antenna on the roof and the rotor motor controller unit, brown plastic-fake bakelite style with a dull yellow back lit dial for positioning.

• racecannon
            racecannon commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the Magnum Dynalab antenna I think you’re talking about, an ST-2. It’s a whip antenna and is very good. I also have this...
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            And it’s very good too. My tuner, a Magnum Dynalab 106T has two antenna inputs so I use both of them. They each pick up the same station 80% of the time and each can pick up a few station the other can’t.

They make a beam antenna you can use inside or outside
          and with a rotor motor you could dial
          in channels from long distances. You can also use a dipole as well and rotat it in your place
          both can be 300 ohm or 75 ohm using an imp
          mactnijg transformer. Now many radio stations have HD radio. This uses another type of antenna setup a type of dipole. It's a type of digital radio. It has a better audio badworh and has multiple channels for each native channels. The sound is much better as well.
          For me xm radio is far better with so many channels genre to play. Sound wise it's on par with us radio but no commercials
          analog stuff.
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
          sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
          thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
          kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
          phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

• user510
            user510 commented
            Editing a comment
            re: HD radio. That must be a digital signal. I presume one needs to have a HD tuner to receive?
            -Steve

https://hdradio.com/
          analog stuff.
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

• user510
            user510 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds great. Only I don't have a digital receiver. I presume I can get a laptop to do the task?
            -Steve

• JCOConnell
            JCOConnell commented
            Editing a comment
            no, a laptop cannot emulate a Hd radio

Originally posted by Stringreen View Post
          not meaning to hijack the thread but just an observation.... I had Sirius radio in my wife's car - fm sounded better....
          I have both in my truck and cars I am nit sure what is better overall. I had at one time in my place.
          FM AND HD FM. xm radio and of course internet radio.
          Also dorect TV and fios radio. Now did I use them a
          little. In my room xm was better but both sounded ok but not on the level of good redbook. This is why I don't anymore. For me fm is mobile use only these days.
          But I do get why some may like a live person playing there music. I still have two tuners one a Sony and the other is in my denon 5805 unit.
          analog stuff.
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Hd radio needs a hd tuner and ant both not expensive and free
            I don't know if a beam ant works meaning you could find hd channels from others states. Direct TV radio is ok but not as good as hd or xm
            analog stuff.
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

One of my tuners, the Sony ST-SA5ES digital from the '90's has a mono signal to noise ratio of 100 dB specification.!
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

This is the Sony es I have collecting dust lol. Your going to make me hook it up tomorrow

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/s.../STS730ES.html
                analog stuff.
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

The denon 5805 turner I have no idea what the specs are
                  analog stuff.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
                  X