Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
    The denon 5805 turner I have no idea what the specs are
    The manual says 77 DB that runner stinks lol. I wonder what an Avg S/N of an fm broadcast is.

Comment

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      with a strong fm signal, fm broadcasts can be exceptionally quiet, if they use sacd, or cd as a source and a top notch modulator, 90dB is probably achievable.

I'd be glad to add a forum for tuners. Didn't add one since didn't think there was any interest.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	st-s333esx01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	58125

Sony ST-S333ESX
      I like the looks of this one. Good Sony stuff, I gather. Eighties vintage,
      -Steve

Comment

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        supposedly the Japanese version of the usa ST-S730ES. Watch out for 100V input voltage.

JCOConnell I will try and take my standard rabbit ears out on the balcony in Manhattan and see how that works. On British forums some people have installed larger aerials on their house presumably because of their rural locations. I have a 2 Meridian 540's and a Linn Kremlin which I think sounds extraordinary when I get a great signal. We have a great station here in NYC WKCR 89.9 and would love to catch it with a strong signal as well as 88.9 a jazz station out of Jersey, so I think FM is worthwhile. I hope they never stop broadcasting in this country and cancel it as they did in Norway.

Comment

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        run coax cable from the antenna to the tuner

Rabbit ears are Omni directional I think as such will not fetch you a distant signal. A beam ant will and while outside is better even inside should work well.
      Jc what is the imp
      of rabbit ears ? Or is just better to use coax even if imp
      is mismatching ?

Comment

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't mean to imply to mismatch the impedance. IF the antenna is 300 ohm use a 300>75 matching xfmr to the coax. I suggested the coax because you don't need to worry about standoffs away from metal.

Yes I figured that and please I don't mean to pick at things
      it's been along time since I played with this stuff period
      kind of nice to bring back some memories and I thank you for this topic.

Comment

I used to really love tuners much in the same way I love my turntables and LPs. Unfortunately the FM quality and available programming in Dallas is for many years so utterly pathetic and unlistenable that I don't even own a tuner anymore. At one time or another I had almost every top tuner out there except I never got my hands on a Marantz 10B. Sad
        Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI Mag Drive / Rim Drive HRX w Avenger Reference footers, 2 - 12" VPI 3DR tonearms, 1 - 12" VPI Stainless Steel tonearm, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Truth Mod OPPO 105, Western Electric Speaker wire, DIY & Discovery interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          when using a hi end tuner, the only real problem with FM sound is compression, and if your listening to pop/rock for a short time, even that is not too bad.
          Last edited by JCOConnell; 07-03-2017, 03:03 PM.

Like everything else in this hobby, you gotta spend money and feel the pain. I suppose I could install an antenna outside. It is an historic register house, so I have to check on that. what do you do for grounding/lightening strikes? Any other obvious issues re an outdoor antenna that anyone but an idiot (me) would already be aware of? Dude, I haven't had an outdoor antenna since i was a child. I think my father climbed up on the roof and installed it-- this was back in the day when nobody called an electrical or plumber-- they just did it themselves.
        At one point, the only angle we could get for Direct TV years ago was actually in the middle of the yard. So we had the thing painted camo, and planted stuff so it didn't look completely stupid. (Although it still looked a little odd).
        My tuner will be in the front "parlor" of this old house. Since it is pier and beam, we can get up from underneath pretty easily to pull cable. I'f probably want to put it in PVC conduit to avoid varmint chew. Don't know what the rules are on that.
        Have any of you used that Magnum Dynalab antenna-- i gather it is actually made by another small outfit, Metz or something, though I don't know if he is really much cheaper, retail. It is apparently an omni style 'whip'- i dunno what's in the cylinder at the bottom.
        Ya think one of those big assed TV- type old school antennas is necessary, cause that's really gonna look like suck.

Comment

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          I just use a pair of vhf rabbit ears sitting out on my patio, works much better than any indoor antenna.

• Bill Hart
          Bill Hart commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. If I put a sofa and a dead , old school CRT TV out there to hold the antenna up, I'll really puzzle the neighbors.

When I catch my breath, I will take a pick of my outdoor FM antenna that's attached to my house and post a picture. It's small, unobtrusive, and works great.
        SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
          When I catch my breath, I will take a pick of my outdoor FM antenna that's attached to my house and post a picture. It's small, unobtrusive, and works great.
          You moved in?

Comment

Working...
          X