Marantz 10B

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marantz 10B

Anyone here ever own a Marantz 10B FM tuner and did you really find it superior to every other tuner you ever used?
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Is it difficult to keep the 10B in alignment long term?
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

KC owns one and I think he said that some of what people say about the 10B is a myth. He should respond. I have heard one before and it sounded great. I was also impressed with the tuner you own which is the 20B because it does not sound like SS.
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I'm not sure where all this mystery of the 10b comes from I have a 10b but I invested in a proper alignment. through a pro- Mike Zuccaro in San Diego. I shipped from Toronto Canada across the continent to San Diego. I couldn't find any body locally to do it willingly . It did not matter if it was a 10b ... locally they just do not have the equipment anymore to do this & the old guys are retiring or expiring.

I now have a base line tip top 10b.

I just don't have the equipment to do this you need a distortion analyzer , fm signal generator, frequency counter etc.... not ordinary equipment for the home traveler.

In 2nd year engineering school we did transmission line theory and and had a class for the full semester where we actually built an fm tuner from scratch parts- that's the last time I've seen a Fm signal generator ... that was in in 1980. The art is largely lost.

I have the scopes and ac VM but not the other stuff. So if you are going to make the investment you do need to do the alignment. The opto couplers can and do go bad after 50 years. I rebuilt mine- but most wouldn't know how or bother so I get how it "might" get the reputation. It does take some commitment,

There was an article written about the 10b in some mag...where it went through the intricacies of the unit I think this is where these notions came from.

The 10b gains its selectivity and performance in terms of separation are part of its multi stage 6- I think If stage and sharp filters more than twice the degree of slope to reject adjacent signals. It was designed by Sequerra- so no slouch.

It sounds absolutely gorgeous and is beautiful to boot.

Other considerations for much less are the Scott 314 and the Sherwood 3000 (mono) which are fabulous too. I have to get rid of these soon as they have been largely collecting dust lately.

I'd buy mine again - no question.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10b1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	60300Click image for larger version

Name:	10b2.JPG
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	60301Click image for larger version

Name:	sherwood.JPG
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	60302Click image for larger version

Name:	scott.JPG
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	60303

Front end: Aesthetix Io Signature with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
        Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM
        Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2 - Custom Direct Drive to supply Beveridge Electrostatics
        Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
        Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3, REL S/2 x 2

Comment

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful 10B

I also heard the 10B has a hard to get tube, is this true? (not counting the CRT).

Comment

• mep
          mep commented
          Editing a comment
          Why not look up the tube compliment online and see if there are any tubes that hard to source?

I had a 10b for a while nice tuner if you have the FM stations to listen to, I mainly listened to the local Collage here in New Orleans. The 10b sounded great at times a proper alignment is a must for full potential, with that said I also had a Scott 310E that was as good as the Marantz except in the looks dept. There isn't much FM here anymore so Now I use a Sony HD tuner for background music.

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
          I also heard the 10B has a hard to get tube, is this true? (not counting the CRT).
          This is the tube complement.

Marantz 10B tube complement:

V1: EC88/6DL4
          V2: EC88/6DL4
          V3: 6DZ4
          V4-V12: 6JK6 SYLVANIA ONLY
          V13: 12AX7
          V14: 6U8
          V15: 12AU7
          V16: 12AU7
          V17: 12AX7
          V18: 12AX7
          V19: 12AU7
          V20: 12AX7
          V21: 12AX7
          V22: DG7/32/01

Yes it does: the 6JK5 pentode TV tube. Dick Sequerra told me he went to Phillips and they guaranteed the tube would be around for years to come. A year was later was discontinued due to advent of solid-state circuitry. Problem is that there's no direct replacement. Kcin's man may have more details.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I am going to ask a stupid question. With the advent of HD FM Radio wouldn't this make old FM Tuners obsolete? Is there any quality broadcast material being sent these old tuners could pick up? Sorry for my ignorant question.
            Marty

Comment

• nc42acc
              nc42acc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you......That makes sense. I remember in my FM tuner days there were some stations that sounded fabulous. I guess it has all gone digital now?

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              no, both the analog and digital channels are running at the same time.

• Bill Hart
              Bill Hart commented
              Editing a comment
              I hadn't had or listened to an FM tuner in years. When I recently assembled my vintage Quad based system, using mostly equipment I owned for ever, I bought a pretty clean McI MX 110z, which is that now oddball combination of tuner and preamp. I chose it largely because I didn't want to spend the money for a Marantz 7 and had already owned an ARC SP 3-a-1 back in the day when it was new. I had the McI sympathetically restored, realigned and retubed by Bill Thalmann in Va. With a simple looking dipole type antenna from CC Crane, the thing sounds wonderful on some classical stations- most of the "new music" stations playing hip-hop and neo-soul sound pretty nasty, music aside. But, it is much fun to see that thing warm up and for music to come from over the air- warm, rich and very old-fashioned in an enjoyable way.
              I remember the 10b as an object of lust, and almost got one (the deal fell through many years ago).
              I recall more than one person telling me that the Sequerra never met the quality of the 10b- whether it was because it was overly complicated to dial in or just a lesser design, I don't know. Analog FM is very retro in a nice way. I also use it to warm up the system. It is a nice way to start a listening session, particularly because you don't have to worry about selecting a record when the system is not yet at its full potential while still warming up.

Still a lot of good uncompressed stations on FM .... it really depends on your market. The 6JK6 are available you need to know where to look.

Cheers.
            Front end: Aesthetix Io Signature with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
            Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM
            Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2 - Custom Direct Drive to supply Beveridge Electrostatics
            Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
            Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3, REL S/2 x 2

Comment

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              I did a quick check on ebay for the 6JK6 and there seems to be no shortage of them.

• kcin
              kcin commented
              Editing a comment
              Ebay is probably the last place I'd go

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              well theres people there claiming to sell nos sylvanias for reasonable money.

Update: I am back to listening to the local FM stations here in New Orleans, I am using a Scott LT 110-B tube tuner now and looking out for another Scott 310E...

Comment

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              the 310 looks cool with that large tuning dial. I need one too.

I used to be an FM tuner fanatic and at one time or another owned one of just about every top tuner ever made including the Scott 310E, Yamaha T1 & T2, Marantz 2130, Accuphase T-100, McIntosh MR67, MR-78, MR-71 and the Sansui Tu-9900 & TU-X1..I never had the 10B or the Fisher FM1000...

Due to the erosion of quality FM stations here in DFW focusing on POP, Rap, and other CRAP, my enjoyment of listening to FM playing real "music" ceased. It would be like having the best reel to reel or turntable ever made and having no LPs or tapes to play on them. Needless to say my collection was slowly sold off sadly.
            Last edited by Letsmakeadeal; 11-24-2017, 12:26 PM.
            Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI Mag Drive / Rim Drive HRX w Avenger Reference footers, 2 - 12" VPI 3DR tonearms, 1 - 12" VPI Stainless Steel tonearm, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Truth Mod OPPO 105, Western Electric Speaker wire, DIY & Discovery interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              So. Cal must be unique we have a few excellent non-commercial jazz and classical stations, at least 3 listenable classic rock stations and there's always NPR, ignoring the political slant i prefer it over TV news.

Well for the most part I am listening to the local college station WTUL Tulane, they play a lot progressive stuff and a variety of other stuff as well. The other station I listen to is WWOZ the local Jazz station they play a lot of local Jazz and Blues. I had a 10B and a 310E at one time wish I would have kept the 310E, looking for another now...
            Last edited by jcmusic; 11-24-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Letsmakeadeal
              Letsmakeadeal commented
              Editing a comment
              There is a nice looking 310E on eBay. At least there was last night. Yep - Still there as of now.
          Working...
          X