Omni or Bi-Directional

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omni or Bi-Directional

Hello all, what would be the best choice for installing an FM antenna on my balcony in Manhattan? Should I go with bi-directional or omni? Or just plain rabbit ears? BTW does anyone know the difference between bi and omni?

I use a $10 pair of RCA rabbit ears out on my back porch (ground level) in Florida, works far better than any indoor antenna solution.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Actually, I should say, I don't put the rabbit ears on the ground. I place them on top of an A/C unit which is a couple feet tall.
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I use modern rabbit ears with 75 ohm coaxial output cable, not the old 300 ohm twin lead.

Comment

Originally posted by volvic View Post
          Hello all, what would be the best choice for installing an FM antenna on my balcony in Manhattan? Should I go with bi-directional or omni? Or just plain rabbit ears? BTW does anyone know the difference between bi and omni?
          it really depends on your location, (and elevation), location of the stations you're listening to, and what obstructions, (i.e.: adjacent buildings), may be between you and the stations. manhattan is likely a difficult reception environment. in general, if you could point a directional antenna towards the stations you want to receive, this is your best option. a bi-directional antenna (like the ubiquitous t-wire dipole) would also work assuming the stations are in the direction you want to receive. the opposite direction would likely be blocked by your building. which would also likely interfere w/an omni antenna, and an omni in an area surrounded by buildings will likely pick up a lot of reflected and interfering signals. you may have to experiement with different possible solutions.

doug s.

Comment

Working...
          X