Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anything Say Vintage Like Receiver?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's crazy how the outsourced Superscope-era, non-Saul/Sid/Sequerra/Bongiorno-designed, SS "Marantz" has become hyped (mainly) in nostalgia value so much. Twenty years'-ago: there was BOATLOADS of it at every garage sale and flea market for no more than $50 bucks-a-pop (for a 2275 receiver, for example).

However, the power supplies in them (when even compared to competitor components of the same vintage; particularly, vs. Sansui/Tandberg/Harman Kardon/McIntosh) don't prove to be very stable(!). Superscope would tend to shoe-horn in the same size power transformer across a wide array of model numbers...even if the model denoted (allegedly) having a higher wattage(!) All they'd do, is: blueprint a rather ordinary circuit and, try to maxx the electrical limits of the least number of output devices they could get away with using. The bigger units often had the most service callbacks and revisions.

A lower-powered vintage Sansui amp/receiver can run an old pair of Acoustic Research A.R. 3a's all day without incident. On the other hand: a vintage Marantz amp boasting "125wpc" may very well burst. That's why all these guys have a love affair pairing them with Klipsch (though, personally, I think ultra-efficient speakers make Solid State that old sound shrill and sterile).

Comment

Comment

Back in the day I really liked the upper end Sansui gear, still have a tuner. Loved my AY-919 integrated amp but one of the "Black Flag" capacitors went and caused one of the output transistors to fail. Unfortunately there wasn't another of those excellent Sony sourced V-fets available in the world, they had quite making them. Funny thing was years later Sony pulled their surviving stock out of the attic and gave them to Nelson Pass to build a few amps, one pair for Sony and one pair to keep for himself. I've heard a lot of other amplifiers, but there was a little switch on front of that Sansui that changed it from a 110 watt class AB to a ten watt class A which was just amazing at the time.

I suspect that if that old amp had a modern power cord, better connectors for use with todays interconnects, and better speaker terminals with todays speaker wire that it would rival a lot of high dollar current offerings. I also found out recently there is a bit of a market for overhauling those old Sansui integrateds replacing those old caps and resistors prone to failure from old age. I've been looking around on the used market a bit.

Comment

My first stereo was a rec by Lafayette , then built a bunch of kits , HealthKit being one.
          I had a tt and then reel to reel desks.
          This Saturday will be a nostalgia weekend.
          My whole rig will be legacy and now nostalgia too.
          I remember my headphones being used from the open reels and rec too.
          Njce pics
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

What a fun thread. I remember the big receiver era well--some of them were like 747 cockpits, more knobs and controls than a flight deck.
            Your photography looks far better than most of the ads for them back in the day. I wonder how many of them sound decent today--early solid state just wasn't so good.
            The Tandberg were probably the most elegant.
            There's a store here that caters to that market- it is chock full of '70s receivers and bookshelf speakers, along with some old turntables (rarely anything special). But, the 'vinyls' market loves this stuff- they can assemble an inexpensive system that is retro-cool. Walking into that place is like time travel for me.
            I only owned one receiver- a small Marantz- that was sorely underpowered driving small Advents. After that I made the jump to the big crazy power amps-Phase Linear 700 (OMG) and stacked big Advents.
            I gather that the new, modest stuff sounds decent, though have not spend any time around new, lower cost solid state.
            Did Braun market a receiver? They had high design audio in the '70s (including a version of the Quad ESL and self-powered floor standing monitors in white hard shell cases with metal grills). If you bought a full system, they threw in a coffee grinder.

Comment

A part of me would love to buy one I had back then
              mill bet of given a simple 3 way bookshelf in a home office
              but as I am sick and could never just leave as is I don't
              i wound not be happy unless I did an update of the caps and and mod psu lol.
              On an off topic in this thread the majority we hear is the psu in audio.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

Not sure how I missed this thread! My man-cave system is centered around a Pioneer SX-1980 that has been completely restored including every electrolytic capacitor replaced, including the 4 huge filter caps, phono and power supply boards upgraded as well. I use it every day and it sounds GLORIOUS

Click image for larger version

Name:	F9C2C0D0-08FE-47BD-A939-987B9B986DDE.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	3.84 MB
ID:	114432
                TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
                SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
                AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• JCOConnell
                  JCOConnell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  that big Pioneer receiver is awesome looking.

• Skylab
                  Skylab commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks man! I do love it. And it sounds fabulous too. The power supply in that thing would make many current high end stand alone power amps blush. 25 pound toroidal transformer, 4x100,000 mfd of filter capacitance...

Did you restore the tape desk s
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                  Did you restore the tape desk s
                  I didn’t - Marc Biscoff (“Tinman”) did the Studer👌🏻
                  TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                  VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                  DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
                  SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
                  AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Name:	HPIM0140 (2).JPG
Views:	52
Size:	471.0 KB
ID:	116439

Comment

Name:	face.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	116441

Comment

Great thread, excellent pics.
                        I always thought vintagereceiver was one word??
                        SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
                        DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
                        PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. MoFi Studiophono
                        PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
                        AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
                        SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
                        CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

while receivers define 70s vintage, single disk cd only players define 80s vintage.

Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• JCOConnell
                            JCOConnell commented
                            Editing a comment
                            while there are some post 80s single disc cd only players out there (even a few being made today) , nearly all of them are lacking full featured front panel controls, keys, displays, etc that were considered standard in the 80's.

• Audioraven
                            Audioraven commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Indeed, the "golden age" of full featured CD players ended around 1995. Wish they still built 'em that way.
                        Working...
                        X