Classic Speaker Designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    I think Bill was a member of the Westchester club when the founder Hy Kachalaky owned Hill Plasmatronic speakers? 10k air freshener? LOL....
    Think? That's where we met! Chuck Lamonica was kind enough to bring me as his guest and I started attending. I don't remember Hy's Plasmatronics but I remember Hy- there was a whole slew of child shrinks in the club b/c that was what Hy did in his professional capacity. There were some characters- Sid Marks was great- always a wiseguy, but sweet as hell.
    I remember seeing Dan D show up in a green Bentley a couple times and thought, this audio business thing must not be so bad.
    Long time ago, no?

Comment

Also a fan of original Quads - despite obvious limitations, what they did, they did well - magic in many cases - solo piano or strings.

I am also a fan of other electrostatic speakers and own a pair of original Martin Logan CLS - I have not listened to a subsequent model that added a dynamic woofer, that sounded anywhere near as good - integrating the two seems to be a real challenge with a mid/high panel that is lightning fast and a cone woofer that is inherently slower.

I am an admirer of John Bau (wherever he is now) and thing that the Spica TC-50 should be given classic status. I owned a pair of the Angelus (or should that be Angeli?) and can attest to their sound quality.

I have also owned a pair of the Energy Reference Connoisseurs 22 with a really nice dome tweeter, developed with lots of grant money from the Canadian Nationa Research Council. Liked them so much that I couldn't part with them - they are in a 4th system in the dining room being driven by some of my older gear - an older Audiolab 8000Q driving an old Bryston 2B.

Also a long time fan of Richard Vandersteen - the philosophy of spending most of the customers' money on hardware and design rather than beauty is most agreeable. There have been a lot of audiophiles that have owned one or another model over the years, usually the 2 in one form or another (I still use some fairly scarce 4As in my third system).

What always surprises me is that some (but certainly not all) older designs actually stack up quite well against modern speakers, some of which seem to be more bling than sound. Went to the recent Vancouver show and listened to a pair of megabuck speakers driven by tens of thousands of dollars worth of amplification, and went....meh. Found way more interest in much more modest speakers. The Wilson Sabrinas, Totem Metal, Magico S5 Mk 2 and a few others impressed.
      Main:VPI TNT V, SME V, Koetsu Urushi, Vendetta SCP2-D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Conrad Johnson Premier 11a, Wilson Maxx 2, Inouye power conditioner

#2 Sota Cosmos, SME V, Lyra Clavis, Bryston BP17, Conrad Johnson Premier 15 phono, Classe DR3 VHC, Martin Logan CLS

#3 Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos + PSE V monos (bass), Classe DAC1 DA converter, Vandersteen 4A

#4 (AV) Marantz AV 7702 Mk2, Rowland 5, Wilson Maxx 2, Vandersteen VSM-1 (x4), Hsu VTF-15H Mk 2 (x2)

Comment

I have used and still own the Infinity QLS the Ohm F the Loth X and the current Martin Logan CLX

I like the estelon speakers but at the higher end of my wish list.

Back in the day I almost bought Dayton wrights instead of the infinity QLS

Comment

• mkuller
          mkuller commented
          Editing a comment
          It was the Ohm Fs I went to listen to in 1977 when I discovered the Dahlquist DQ-10s and fell in love with them.

• Garth
          Garth commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought them off a guy who sold them to me as they had No bass he had a 40 watt amp I had a mac 200 a side then they had bass

Originally posted by Garth View Post
        I have used and still own the Infinity QLS the Ohm F the Loth X and the current Martin Logan CLX

I like the estelon speakers but at the higher end of my wish list.

Back in the day I almost bought Dayton wrights instead of the infinity QLS
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1655612_1416060985341516_1929065007240020196_o.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	25216
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Garth
          Garth commented
          Editing a comment
          I could do that but it would be mono

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Those stacked Walsh 5s BTW belong to Harry Weisfeld.

MylesBAstor commented
        08-17-2016, 11:15 PM

Those stacked Walsh 5s BTW belong to Harry Weisfeld.

Wonder what kind of turntable Harry uses ?

;-))

Comment

One of the best headphones I ever heard came from quads . They were called the floaters or head float something like that. Crazy looking setup on a wood frame sat on your head open to the sides On an angle . Like the Akg design but far better sound . I never did get to hear a quad setup
          analog stuff.
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
          sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
          thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
          kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
          phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

I´ll have to nominate the ProAc Response 2.5! I use every day and they are still very good performers and hold up very well against all modern floorstanding 2-way speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Some of the best sound my friend ever got in his system was years ago with Crosby modded Quad-63s mounted in Arcici stands (RIP Ray!) driven by a George Kaye modded Futterman OTL. Sounded wonderful when it worked but that wasn't often enough. Of course the OTL loved the speaker's rising impedance in the low end. He ended up selling the Futterman's and replacing them with cj Prem 12s. He also tried mating them to Entechs but that just never worked out. Entech looked like they spent all the money on the cabinet and drivers but ran out of money by the time they got to the xover.

Another great match was Quad-63s driven by the early Quicksilver amplifiers with 8417 tubes.

I also got to hear a pair of Tim de Paravicini modded 57s at one of the London Heathrow Shows. driven by Tim's electronics I know this is sacrilegious bordering on blasphemy but sonically I prefer the 63s. For me the weaknesses of the '57 just outweigh its strengths. But I know I am in the minority here and am prepared to be battered!
              I am a big fan of the Quads I have had the USA monitors for years but keep going back to the 57's. The 63's or USA monitors can play louder have a better sense of depth and are easier to place than the 57s but they can't manage the 57 mid range at all. I've kept the 57s after years with the USA monitors .

The 57s are great with my Futterman H3 (rumors of catastrophic failures are highly exaggerated) and the classic bedini 25/25 along with--surprisingly the absolutely incredible Wyetech 211 Topaz SET.. Now I am having fun with Beveridges.

Name:	IMG_0680.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	33667Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5787.jpeg
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	33668Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0412.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	33669
              Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
              Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
              Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
              Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
              Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
              Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                Some classics there? Bedini? Remember they also tried a 100/100 but iirc HP thought they lost the 20/20's magic. Think they were a fave then of also Aczel before he saw the light.

Originally posted by kcin View Post

I am a big fan of the Quads I have had the USA monitors for years but keep going back to the 57's. The 63's or USA monitors can play louder have a better sense of depth and are easier to place than the 57s but they can't manage the 57 mid range at all. I've kept the 57s after years with the USA monitors .

The 57s are great with my Futterman H3 (rumors of catastrophic failures are highly exaggerated) and the classic bedini 25/25 along with--surprisingly the absolutely incredible Wyetech 211 Topaz SET.. Now I am having fun with Beveridges.

Name:	IMG_0680.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	33667Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5787.jpeg
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	33668Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0412.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	33669
              Totally agree re the midrange of the 57 being better than the 63, even the Crosby modded 63. The Futtermans- yeah, I heard those rumors. Bedini 25 was supposed to be the bomb with the Quad. Never heard it. Looks like I could move in. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0680.JPG Views:	1 Size:	72.0 KB ID:	33667Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5787.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	152.1 KB ID:	33668Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0412.JPG Views:	1 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	33669
                I took a similar route, I'm on my 4th set of 57s recently rebuilt by Kent McCollum. I had Crosby modded 63 pros and standard 63s and always went back to 57s. I have them on Arcici stands and on the floor as designed, raked back on their stubby legs. I had a Bedini 25/25, it was kinda meh, not the religious experience some would have you believe. for SS the Classe Dr2/3 was the ticket. IMHO tubes are best with 57s, any EL84 based amp like VTL tiny triodes are sublime. I also had the Graaf GM20 OTL, again it was good but not the best I've ever heard from 57s. neither was the Radford STA15 (reissue) that Kessler waxes on and on about.

David Chesky is a huge 57 fan, he and Robin Wyatt did an exhaustive search for the perfect 57 amp trying every SS and Tube amp that was ever considered to be or suggested as the perfect match, oddly enough the amp that came out on top was the ASR Emitter I.
                Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Audio Research | Wadia | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kent is the person doing stacked Quads working with Dave Slagle? And self powered?

Dave C. also went through his CLS phase. I can tell you lots of funny stories. He also had Soundlabs at one time and George Kaye was building a 500 wpc OTL amp for those stats. Never was finished but George got as far as 200 or somwpc. 😍

Originally posted by Rob View Post

I took a similar route, I'm on my 4th set of 57s recently rebuilt by Kent McCollum. I had Crosby modded 63 pros and standard 63s and always went back to 57s. I have them on Arcici stands and on the floor as designed, raked back on their stubby legs. I had a Bedini 25/25, it was kinda meh, not the religious experience some would have you believe. for SS the Classe Dr2/3 was the ticket. IMHO tubes are best with 57s, any EL84 based amp like VTL tiny triodes are sublime. I also had the Graaf GM20 OTL, again it was good but not the best I've ever heard from 57s. neither was the Radford STA15 (reissue) that Kessler waxes on and on about.

David Chesky is a huge 57 fan, he and Robin Wyatt did an exhaustive search for the perfect 57 amp trying every SS and Tube amp that was ever considered to be or suggested as the perfect match, the amp that came out on top was the ASR Emitter I.
                I can understand why the Bedini25/25 may not of floated your boat most every one I have encountered needed significant work to undo the wrath of the significant heat . They can't be biased too high the hotter the better. They must be refurbished which can be tricky based on their physical design and vbe multiplier circuit.

Classe DR3 - great amp had one years ago. I've tried dozens of PP el34/84 amps the quads need some grip. Although the audionote soro is a very nice piece on these. The MC225 is one of the best as well , marantz model 2 does very well.

... The Futterman just cuts the haze. Lots of good options.
                Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Rob
                  Rob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  if your H3 still sounds good to you (and operates normally) consider yourself lucky, george kaye will come to the rescue when they do take a dump but be prepared to shell out the benjamins. I never heard the fourier amps on quads (futterman copy) but a few users i internet with swear by them, in spite of the reliability issues.

• kcin
                  kcin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there , my H3 has been significantly modified and updated by me...I wouldn't expect a 50 year old piece of equipment to pass the smell test in 2016- especially a Futterman with its enormous heat and requirement for equal current draw on the banks of tubes. Also, mine runs 6FW5s which are much more available and cheaper than the now obscure 6LF6. I actually prefer the H3 to the H3a because of the tube versus zener screen regulators... the H3 sounds better to me. The futterman original circuits being point to point are reliable if updated.. the NYAL versions had their problems because of layout and circuit boards with oscillation.. Never heard a Fourier either but did have a short time with a Counterpoint SA-4

The type of dynamic drivers used has an effect of its sound scape this absolutely applies in head headphones
                i own many pairs from dyphrames to planer to stats
                it comes down to what we like in sound. A planer is most speaker like for me and has the musicality sound most real to me. A diaphragm is faster but begins to move away from lush and stats is over the line. While stats do have hyper details it lacks enough weight for me.
                In speakers it's the same for me. Speed is needed but it must remain to have some hang time meaning weight
                someone who loves stats will not like a planer for long I feel.
                To have both weight and speed is perfection. While at Myles place it has some of this they were fast had good air amd weight. What I need to add to this is a large line source also something I like and smaller speakers while yielding great imaging don't have for me.
                analog stuff.
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Al. That's why I settled on what I settled on. Best of both worlds-speed of stat and weight of dynamic driver. Then we can address seamlessness and coherency.

Interesting to see this thread just when I gave my Yamaha NS1000 M a full restoration. I made some cool stands for them and gave the cabinets a full polish. I can tell you that I never heard them like today. The reason being that I have never played them through Mark Levinson amps and other high en stuff I didn't own when I used these speakers actively. A good pair runs in the 3500US price range so they are quite expensive for a 30 year old speaker. They sound great and midrange is fantastic.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                  Joe Pittman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Way, way back, I was into the NS1000's. I actually had two pairs and stacked them (top pair inverted). Like people used to do with the Advents.

Originally posted by RIQUE View Post
                Interesting to see this thread just when I gave my Yamaha NS1000 M a full restoration. I made some cool stands for them and gave the cabinets a full polish. I can tell you that I never heard them like today. The reason being that I have never played them through Mark Levinson amps and other high en stuff I didn't own when I used these speakers actively. A good pair runs in the 3500US price range so they are quite expensive for a 30 year old speaker. They sound great and midrange is fantastic.
                Glad to have you onboard!

Funny thing about speakers. Years ago I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to hear the old RCA Living Stereo Master tapes at RCA's now defunct 44th St. studios. They were using these awful Altecs hung on the wall but damn if those master tapes didn't make them sound like a million dollars.
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
                -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
                -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Are you talking about this one? hands down the best sound you could ever obtained from any OTL out there, but.... when working! These pair has been modified and even though you have to be careful. Not kidding.
                  Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
                  http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
                  http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

Working...
                  X