No announcement yet.

Classic Speaker Designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way: what about the BOSE 901's ??? (please, don't kill the messenger!)
    Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
    http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
    http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Let's not and say we did? 😎 Will never forget this person on my dorm floor in college-whose family was close friends with Sidney Harman-had a Harman quad receiver driving two pairs of 901s set up in the corners of his 8x15 (?) room. Not pretty.

Then there was the first time I heard 901s in a store. Sounded like someone through a blanket over the music. Not to mention no low end or imaging.

• El Magnifico
      El Magnifico commented
      Editing a comment
      To be fair, those speakers has its tricks to make them sound not-so horrible, but you have to go all the opposite to what Dr. Bose said!

Lol. For club music they were not bad as clubs have some tweeters added onto them. Keep in mind I was a disco DJ way back when. Now play music In a home they just sounded odd I always though it was the maas EQ needed. At the last nyc show there was one room who had these tiny one driver speaker
    it reminded me of the Bose but less bass boom.
    Maybe it's us a bit being audio snobs hahahah.
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

In no particular order:

- Quad ESL 57 (I had a pair sitting on top of a pair of large Advents lysing on their sides, with the signal split by a DQ-LP1 crossover.)
      - LS3/5A
      - Magnepan MG1
      - Dahlquist DQ10
      - Snell AIII
      - Altec Lansing Valencia - my current, very recently acquired inamorata. If you love SET tone, but crave a dynamic sound, they're hard to beat. (I see M19, A7 or A5 in my future.)

Comment

Originally posted by DRCope View Post
        In no particular order:

- Quad ESL 57 (I had a pair sitting on top of a pair of large Advents lysing on their sides, with the signal split by a DQ-LP1 crossover.)
        - LS3/5A
        - Magnepan MG1
        - Dahlquist DQ10
        - Snell AIII
        - Altec Lansing Valencia - my current, very recently acquired inamorata. If you love SET tone, but crave a dynamic sound, they're hard to beat. (I see M19, A7 or A5 in my future.)
        Funny how some of those speakers just get recycled like Maggies, Quads and Dollies.

BTW, glad to have Dave aboard!

Dave was formerly involved with Audionote USA and currently is involved in setting up a new recording studio. Perhaps Dave will tell us more about his project and what he'll be working on in another thread! IIRC Dave will be recording in analog too!
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Funny how some of those speakers just get recycled like Maggies, Quads and Dollies.

BTW, glad to have Dave aboard!

Dave was formerly involved with Audionote USA and currently is involved in setting up a new recording studio. Perhaps Dave will tell us more about his project and what he'll be working on in another thread! IIRC Dave will be recording in analog too!
          Thanks, Myles.

Yes, I will be happy to explain what I'm up to, hopefully soon, and yes it's mostly analog, my preference being to run everything to my Mara Machines ('79 MCI) half-inch, two track tape deck.

Comment

Love the Quad 57s especially stacked. Heard a Levinson HQD system once and it was quite something. All the newer 57 modded versions produced, after almost 60 years since original introduction, are a continuing testimony to their classic status..

The Magepans are a classic and innovative design that's stood the test of time. They'd get more audiophile respect if they weren't built to such a "value -level" price point, but it's remarkable how good they sound in spite of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
            Love the Quad 57s especially stacked. Heard a Levinson HQD system once and it was quite something. All the newer 57 modded versions produced, after almost 60 years since original introduction, are a continuing testimony to their classic status..

The Magepans are a classic and innovative design that's stood the test of time. They'd get more audiophile respect if they weren't built to such a "value -level" price point, but it's remarkable how good they sound in spite of it.
            Beaur can add his comments but Dave Slagle showed self powered, stacked 57s at CAF and they sounded really good.
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
            -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
            -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
            -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
            -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
            -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
            -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I nominate Acoustat!
              Classic full range electrostatic speaker. Thousands still in use as the panels are nearly industuctable. Update the interfaces and the socks, and they still provide audiophile sound. The original X speakers with the direct drive amps were ahead of their time. Why doesn't somebody make a set of speakers like that? I'd buy them!

Comment

Originally posted by mendel View Post
                I nominate Acoustat!
                Classic full range electrostatic speaker. Thousands still in use as the panels are nearly industuctable. Update the interfaces and the socks, and they still provide audiophile sound. The original X speakers with the direct drive amps were ahead of their time. Why doesn't somebody make a set of speakers like that? I'd buy them!
                AFAIK Roger Modjeski builds a made to order direct drive ESL with amps and speakers of his own design. someone is doing a direct drive Quad ESL 57 I heard them at one of the Newport shows. I left the room nonplussed, IMHO the SQ wasn't worth the effort, cost or complexity involved. I finally got to listen to a pair of Model X acoustats a few years ago, I did not experience the 'aha moment' others described or felt any lust for them. I do have a pair of 2+2s with all updates (and orig boxes!) I'd love to get outta my house.
                Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
                  Steve Lefkowicz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If I had room for them I'd take them!

I'm still convinced the direct drive Acoustats like the X and the much improved next model (the Monitor) were the better implementation of Acoustat's designs. As much as I liked the later 2+2 and 1+1, they never had the transparency or immediacy of the panels driven by the Servo Charge amp. Still kicking myself for getting rid of my Monitors in 1988.

At THE Show in Las Vegas a few years ago we met a young engineer whose post graduate thesis was on a digitally controlled direct drive electrostatic speaker. Albert Porter and I spoke at length with her, and Albert introduced her to Roger West from Soundlabs who was exhibiting there. She built her own panels and designed her own class D amp. Unfortunately, lack of funding caused her to stop development a few years later.

• mendel
                  mendel commented
                  Editing a comment
                  To each his own I guess. Personally, I hate big multi cone, multi way speakers. They never sound quite right to me. I love full range electrostatics. That does not mean that big Magicos are no good because I don't like them, or that Acoustats are no good because you don't like them. That's what makes this hobby great. You should sell your 2+2 to somebody who will appreciate them. They are too good to just sit in boxes.

Originally posted by Cyclotronguy View Post
                Hi Myles, All!

Nelson likes to joke that the barn at the old Foresthill, CA digs was like the warehouse at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and honestly that was not too far off fact, It was a pretty good sized metal barn with wall to wall, floor to ceiling "rivet-rack" shelving, Duplicated uptown with what was once a small grocery store / drive-in.

And upon that shelving was pretty much the bones of every project of note, all the way back to Threshold and Soundstream. Among these some of the electronics of the Ion Cloud and the start of what was to follow..... monster "electrostat's". Weekends spent there were more of a triage of what to ignore than what to tackle,

When we moved Pass Labs to Auburn the metalized plastic stators for the stats went away..... the custom Hammond transformers came out of their hardwood cases. The transformers made it down the hill as did the mile long roll of genuine Dupont Mylar, the Aquadag coating....... and design notebook,..... so still on the "back burner".

I used to cross paths with Alan Hill (Plasmatronics) when he was still at the National Labs in New Mexico, Nelson and I had dinner with Alan about 6 years ago here in Auburn and there was some talk of a much hot-rodded "ion-cloud" with some spin off technology that Alan had been working on. He didn't say what project or where, but pretty safe to speculate it had something to do with Raytheon and SDI.

We were going to need some pretty exotic gas mixes, air just wasn't going to do.... and we were going to need some amps that would swing some pretty serious voltage.

I'd seen enough of what Alan worked on as a day job to know that if it came to fruition it would be a fun time!

Here is a photo of the "Ion Cloud" at CES Las Vegas that I do not believe made it into the press,

Kent "Cyclotronguy" English[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_1717_1461372440096_4[/ATTACH]
                SG interviews Nelson about the Ion Cloud:

Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

Inspired partially by this thread, I have embarked on an attempt at optimizing my Martin Logan CLS by adding some Sound Anchors stands to get them up off the floor and allow easy rake angle adjustment. There is a magic to ES speakers that is enticing - that nothing else seems quite able to replicate. I am quite happy to use them for listening to strings and other acoustic music and leave the heavy bass for the other systems. Fingerstyle guitar, piano,violin, percussion other than low drum strikes all seem more real somehow, when heard through ES speakers.

Haven't had the opportunity to listen to the CLX, but would like to.
                  Main:VPI TNT V, SME V, Koetsu Urushi, Vendetta SCP2-D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Conrad Johnson Premier 11a, Wilson Maxx 2, Inouye power conditioner

#2 Sota Cosmos, SME V, Lyra Clavis, Bryston BP17, Conrad Johnson Premier 15 phono, Classe DR3 VHC, Martin Logan CLS

#3 Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos + PSE V monos (bass), Classe DAC1 DA converter, Vandersteen 4A

Comment

Klipschorn, La Scala, Cornwall, Heresy.

Comment

Working...
                    X