X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david k
    replied
    Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
    Do you use an AC inverter then to get the speed right?
    No, I have several other tts that require voltage and/or frequency adjustment so I use a Chroma 61601 programmable AC Source.

http://www.chromausa.com/product/low...-source-61600/

david

Leave a comment:

• Ki Choi
    replied
    Originally posted by david k View Post

Ki, it tells you what I think of the 3012 if I cut the 927 to accommodate this arm when its considered criminal in some circles!

The few I got were always 50 hz, never even came across a 60 hz unit.

david
    Do you use an AC inverter then to get the speed right?

Leave a comment:

• david k
    replied
    Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

How often do you have to replace the idler drive roller? That looks a little modernized?
    I replaced one after 17 years, it probably is a current product the older NOS ones that I have are all dried out.

david

Leave a comment:

• david k
    replied
    Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
    David,

I'm not worthy.... and also shocked to see yet another SME 3012R even on the EMT turntable.

Did all the EMTs you got from Asia still had 60Hz motors?
    Ki, it tells you what I think of the 3012 if I cut the 927 to accommodate this arm when its considered criminal in some circles!

The few I got were always 50 hz, never even came across a 60 hz unit.

david

Leave a comment:

• Ki Choi
    replied
    David,

I'm not worthy.... and also shocked to see yet another SME 3012R even on the EMT turntable.

Did all the EMTs you got from Asia still had 60Hz motors?

Leave a comment:

• banditcat200
    replied

What's the difference between a Garrard 301 and 501?
    The motor difference be twin the 301 and 401, is that 401 motor is more silent running and thereby easier to mechanically ground via the plinth.
    The 501 is a completely new beast building on the old designs strengths with everything made from scratch by Loricraft.

301 motor
    Click image for larger version

Name:	garrard motor.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	3872

401 motor

Name:	garrard 401 motor.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	3873

501 motor

Name:	garrard 501 motor.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	3874

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by david k View Post
    I have a lot of 78s, with the EMT arm and cartridges its easy to switch between stereo, mono & mono 78, setup the arm for any of them and you can switch them in and out as desired. EMT table were imported by Gotham Audio, not sure how many/if any 927s were sold but I've come across several 930s. This company was also the Neumann distributor. I came across EMT and other tables mostly in Japan during the 14 years I lived in the Far East and then Vladimir Lamm had a direct input in what I purchased and collected.

david

How often do you have to replace the idler drive roller? That looks a little modernized?

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by banditcat200 View Post
    I only own classic turntables I have done so in a long time, have tried Linn Basik, LP 12, Pierre Lurne Roma, Oracle Paris, Micro Seiki, etc

Garrard 301
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n3849[/ATTACH]

Thorens 166 MK II
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n3850[/ATTACH]

My current favorite is the Garrard 301 on the wishlist is a fully refurbished Garrard 401 from Audio Grail.UK.
    One of my friends runs two of those and they are cool and sound superb in any department ;-)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n3851[/ATTACH]

What's the difference between a Garrard 301 and 501?

Leave a comment:

• banditcat200
    replied
    A Danish classic, that I would like to own, the idlerdrive Mørch DS6a turntable :-)

Name:	mørch gs6a turntable.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	3853

Leave a comment:

• banditcat200
    replied
    I only own classic turntables I have done so in a long time, have tried Linn Basik, LP 12, Pierre Lurne Roma, Oracle Paris, Micro Seiki, etc

Garrard 301

Name:	dec 2014 002.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	673.8 KB
ID:	3849

Thorens 166 MK II

Name:	ramsey lewis.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	3850

My current favorite is the Garrard 301 on the wishlist is a fully refurbished Garrard 401 from Audio Grail.UK.
    One of my friends runs two of those and they are cool and sound superb in any department ;-)

Name:	danish audio design internationel 010.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	3851

Leave a comment:

• david k
    replied
    I have a lot of 78s, with the EMT arm and cartridges its easy to switch between stereo, mono & mono 78, setup the arm for any of them and you can switch them in and out as desired. EMT table were imported by Gotham Audio, not sure how many/if any 927s were sold but I've come across several 930s. This company was also the Neumann distributor. I came across EMT and other tables mostly in Japan during the 14 years I lived in the Far East and then Vladimir Lamm had a direct input in what I purchased and collected.

david

Wow they all look mint to me!!! And 78 rpm to boot.

How did you get turned onto these tables because doubt they were imported into the US back then?

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Wow they all look mint to me!!! And 78 rpm to boot.

How did you get turned onto these tables because doubt they were imported into the US back then?

Leave a comment:

• david k
    replied
    Here's a very early and ultra mint single arm version that I recently sold,

Name:	L_001676.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	647.3 KB
ID:	3548

Name:	L_001681.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	857.7 KB
ID:	3549

Name:	L_001693.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	952.9 KB
ID:	3550

Name:	L_001701.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	861.8 KB
ID:	3551

david

Leave a comment:

• david k
    replied
    Not going to find many arguments here about the old classic turntable designs.

Here we go with something I know near and dear to David's heart!
    You got that right Myles! Over the years I've gone through many, many tts, I guess I never gave up on analog. Digital was always something on the side or in addition to the analog and never the main event for me, even more so today. Just can't get excited about a computer…

Here's the one that started it all, the first and original truly high end professional turntable, the EMT 927. It was designed by Wilhelm Franz in the early 1950's as THE reference table, a title that I find as valid today as it was the day it was born. Over the years I accumulated many wonderful turntables but to date I haven't found one that has surpassed the 927 sonically and functionally. I have a couple of tables that come very close and one that matches it sonically but not ergonomically. The EMT 927 was a professional tool and came in different versions according to customers requirements so they'll vary, like the 2 armed F version originally made for the Swedish broadcast company mine is one of them. I've since removed the original phono stage and replaced the cabinet with what is called the heavy base. This is one of the 3 that I owned over time. Here are some picts

Name:	EMT 3.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	3545

Name:	EMT-6.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	559.4 KB
ID:	3546

david

Leave a comment:

• nc42acc
    replied
    This does and always will float my boat. I will have one in 2016!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X