Random Vintage Marantz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Vintage Marantz

Someone was looking for a Model 7 this week so I snapped a pic for them.

It still looks and sounds good after 50+ yrs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1883.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	43061

Name:	IMG_1850.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	43062
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Signature with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2 - Custom Direct Drive to supply Beveridge Electrostatics
    Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3, REL S/2 x 2

Anybody heard the version of the 7 that was modified by Sid Smith himself?
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      id love too, ive seen pics of it but never had the pleasure to experience one. were the mods documented and a schematic available to DIYers?

got any pix of the "guts"?
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• mep
      mep commented
      Editing a comment
      Plenty of pictures on line. Do a search of Marantz 7.

I was thinking of buying the wood case for my 20B tuner but its $250 for a repro.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
      I was thinking of buying the wood case for my 20B tuner but its $250 for a repro.
      I had the 20B tuner in my house before on loan from a friend and it was in the wood case which I find stunning. The 20B is a killer sounding tuner and a worthy replacement to the 10B. The 10B tuner requires a full-time technician to keep it operating in peak condition (just slightly kidding).
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Ive had the 20B about 10 years and I'm real happy with it. I had it overhauled when I bought it. the bass extension is excellent, just the other day I was listening to hotel California and the kick drum surprised me even with the maggies.

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
          got any pix of the "guts"?
          I have done some work to make it safe and keep it indistinguishable from stock.

‚Äč
          Front end: Aesthetix Io Signature with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
          Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM
          Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2 - Custom Direct Drive to supply Beveridge Electrostatics
          Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
          Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3, REL S/2 x 2

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post
            Someone was looking for a Model 7 this week so I snapped a pic for them.

It still looks and sounds good after 50+ yrs.

Name:	IMG_1883.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	43061

Name:	IMG_1850.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	43062
            My first real system in 1968 was a Marantz set up, the pre looked similar to this one, I wish I still had it, yours looks better than new, just beautiful.

Comment

who are considered the go to shops in NA to restore an 8b amp incl cosmetics? I have one I want to bring back to life but the chassis paint is chipped and corroded in numerous places.
              TT / Arm / Cart: Basis Audio Ovation / Rockport 6000 / VdH Colibri XCP Head Amp: Music Reference RM-4 Preamp: Audio Research SP-3 (Curcio) Power Amp: Marantz 8b Speakers: 1) Quad ESL 57 (McCollum) 2) Falcon LS3/5a / SVS PC-2000 (x2) Cable: DIY / Canare / Mogami / DH Labs

Comment

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks a bunch. somehow I knew you'd know btw, I have spoken with Zuccaro, Im going to drop off a pr of Heathkit UA-1s for him to redo. I gather his restorations arent heavy on the cosmetic side. Have you dealt with Sam Kim in Canada or these guys? http://aeaaudio.com/

• kcin
                kcin commented
                Editing a comment
                You can't go wrong with Zuccaro. The UA-1s are great I had 4 of them at one point. Nice with the ESLs. I have never had any experience with the outfits you list. I know Sam Kim is in Montreal and he does pretty invasive upgrades so I may not want to use him on a classic piece.

There was a guy that did bottom up McIntosh restorations that looked fabulous .. I will try to find that name. I think that is what you are looking for.

• kcin
                kcin commented
                Editing a comment
                Check this restoration of an 8b out!

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...roject.149341/
            Working...
            X