My Vintage System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Vintage System

Just as I get the main system settled into the new room upstairs, and plan for listening, rather than constant work, the remaining pieces of my "new" vintage system arrive tomorrow.

1. Early SP-10 (not a mk ii or iii) that Bill Thalmann restored, updated with the Krebs mods (not sure, but this may have been the first 'mk 1' he's done), new plinth set up for multiple arms. I plan to have David help me with a 3012r as the primary arm, once I get to that stage.
    2. McI- MX 110z- the only piece in this system I bought recently- it was a clean, unmolested unit. (A big old school McI from the early '60s with a very good tuner and preamp-I didn't want to spend the money for a Marantz 7 tube unit and having owned an ARC SP3-a-1 when it was new, wanted something different). Bill Thalmann restored this piece as well.
    3. Quad II amps- restored by Thalmann, with NOS GEC KT-66s!
    4. my old Quad Loudspeakers, which I've owned since 1973. They were in need of restoration, so when I left NY, I shipped the speakers to Kent McCollum. They are here, waiting to be hooked up.

I will post some photos of this second system once I get it installed. It is intended for casual listening, including during dinner parties or just for background while cooking or reading.

I'm not using fancy cable. I have a spool of 12 gauge copper speaker cable that I will terminate with some crimp on copper lugs. Interconnect will be modest, e.g. Wireworld copper shielded cable.
    No provision for digital in this one (yet). I wouldn't mind finding a nice sounding redbook CD player-- i have a few thousand CDs that I accumulated--many given to me by the labels and publishers at the time of release--that I wouldn't mind hearing, since they contain music I don't necessarily have on vinyl.
    More to come. Just when you thought you were out....
    (I'm really looking forward to hearing the old Quads with the amps, all freshly restored).

Way too cool. I think you are going to love that set up. The MX 110 is practically a C22 and the the upgraded Quad IIs and ESL are going to be glorious.

Keep us posted and pics would be great.. This system will challenge most of us as to why we invest so much into this hobby.
    Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

That should be a very special system for intimate music listening Bill. I would be excited to get it fired up.
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

this will be cool are you going to keep the stock feet on your 57s?

Comment

• Bill Hart
          Bill Hart commented
          Editing a comment
          For now. I'm trying to treat this as the "anti-tweak" system. But, famous last words, eh? At one point, i had this same pair of ESLs on the old Arcici stand, built a "thing" to mount the Decca ribbons, and had a few different subs (in those days, I thought all the subs kinda sucked with the Quads).

Thanks, Gents! Will definitely post some photos once up and running.

Comment

Photos please
          analog stuff.
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
          sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
          thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
          kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
          phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
            Photos please
            I can probably break into Fedex's transit facility late tonight, find the boxes and take pictures of those. Otherwise, you just gonna have to wait til tomorrow when the stuff arrive.

Comment

In my main and second system almost all is vintage I think. My IRS v are circa 1980 they are more than 35 years old. The Amos I used and use now were krell and now aragons . What does it take to be considered vintage ?
              analog stuff.
              new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

• JCOConnell
                JCOConnell commented
                Editing a comment
                pre - CD (1982)

Shit so I don't have that either lol. I guess it's just a bunch of not so old stuff hahahha.
              analog stuff.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

• JCOConnell
                JCOConnell commented
                Editing a comment
                It will all be vintage eventually

How early do you get up if I may ask. For me it's about 430 am each day. Today I woke up at three rested so stood up. ? Just asking
              analog stuff.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

• JCOConnell
                JCOConnell commented
                Editing a comment
                I have very irregular sleep patterns. yesterday I slept some during the day so I was up all night.

Oh. I cannot fall asleep during the day even if I was up all night
              I left North Carolina at 2am. Sunday. I went to bed at 10 pm Saturday. I could not go to sleep till 9 pm on Sunday.
              analog stuff.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

Sort of set up, it plays, I forgot how good the original Quad is, and the KT 66s look like real NOS, not pulls. More to come, but thought you'd dig this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0497.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	686.7 KB
ID:	58996

Comment

A view of the glass: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	603.7 KB
ID:	58998

Comment

And a shot of the room, obviously not optimized for serious listening, but pull the Barcelona chair away, still have the big old easel on which the TV is mounted and of course, that glass cocktail table. Even under less the optimal conditions, these things are a joy. And I haven't messed with positioning and focus of the sweet spot. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0499 2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	812.9 KB
ID:	59000

Comment

your MX110 looks clean, did it require cosmetic work? from a cold start I charge the speaker for at least a day before applying a signal they'll sound best after 24 hrs or more. I always keep 'em plugged in 24/7.

Comment

Working...
                      X