Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaker Cable for Old Quad Loudspeaker (aka 57)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belden 9497 is another underground cult favorite speaker cable, that is reputed to be what Shindo used for the internal wiring of his speakers. It's 16awg tinned copper twisted pair that sounds quite good. You can find people on ebay selling it for a bit more than $1 a foot, so it's definitely a cheap and cheerful choice.
    ---Gary
    Analog: Scheu + Immedia RPM tonearm + Koetsu Black + Pass Xono or Threshold FET 10pe
    Amps: First Watt F7, HK Citation II
    Pre-Amps: CJ Premier 14, Threshold FET 10e, DIY 417a with output transformer
    Speakers: Horning Eufrodite, Reference 3A mm de capo
    Tuners: Sansui TU9900, McIntosh MR78
    Digital: i7 Server (Roon) + SSD, Sonore urendu + Mutec MC3+ USB + Berkeley Alpha Dac, TEAC VRDS-T1 (modfied with G+D clock and driver)
    Power: Audience AR12, Torus Tot, DIY filters

Comment

I'd like to (naively?) ask if those with experience find that the expensive speaker cable is clearly better than the excellent choices given here so far. I use Mapleshade speaker cable and it is not very costly and sounds very very good. More expensive speaker cable in my system was different but not necessarily better. Curious as to the experience of others. In my studio I'm looking for neutral but not the least bit thin or harsh. P.S. on my Quad 57s I use old Naim gear and their excellent speaker cable which interfaces well with Naim's electronics.
      JLH

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        I have some Naca5 around here somewhere from when I had a full Naim stack, the stuff is quite stiff and unwieldy for installations in tight confines. its claim to fame was low capacitance to keep their amps from gong into oscillation, ironic since the little Nait will drive the 57 just fine -- which happens to be a capacitive load.

Interesting. I can't speak for the Naca5 sounding good on other electronics but on this Quad 57 (by Elecrostatic Solutions) system with old Naim gear, the midrange is clearly better and above anything I have heard, new or old.
      JLH

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        Naca5 works well with all electronics I've tried it with, I like it! but its no longer cheap, its like $30/ft for what is essentially zip cord. Naim makes a right angle dual banana plug which makes life easier with some installs, as you know Naca5 isn't limp nor does it like to 'lay down' easily.

Correct. I don't have too tight a space so not a problem and it has right angle bananas and I bought it used for some $400.00 for a pair of 20 foot lengths. Not too bad. But for every other system I'd be shocked if something clearly beat the Mapleshade wire which I find neutral yet musical. But I don't have a lot of experience with expensive speaker cable at all.
      JLH

Comment

Speaker cables matter for a host of reasons.
        Keeping them as short as possible deflects the many issues cables have. In mine I use two Aragon 8008BB amps while each is dual
        mono I only use one channel of each to keep the wire less than 12 inches long. I use simple 14 gauge lamp cord but use both cond for each positive and negative terminal and gently twist them. My interconnects are all Mogami gold mic. They were Recomend to me when I had issues with SE going over 10 feet. The Mogami seems to be a coax type cable and may have better sound of long but I don’t see the point if short.

Comment

Working...
        X