Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring The Classic ARC D76

Great reminiscing!

Check it out! All original tubes! Assume are classic clear top RCA 6FQ7s. Amperex 12AX7. GE 6550s.

Click bad request.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I still have mine, a Dual 75a, that I bought new. I'm not sure why, of all the components that passed through my hands over the years, I kept this one, but it seemed stupid to get rid of it at some point (though I sold the SP 3-a-1 that was its companion to upgrade to an SP-10 mk ii).
    The amp was recapped back in 2004? by Soundsmith before he got so deeply into his proprietary cartridge development; and 7 or so years ago, I bought a complete set of the output tubes from ARC, along with new barrier strip terminals and a few other odds and ends. I still have the packing, the warranty card and the instructions, such as they are. I should have it re-done, but I don't really have a use for it right now. So, it sits on display in one of my rooms.
    PS: there's also a reason why the tube cage comes off- ARC used sheet metal screws to fix the edges of the perforated metal cage to the chassis. They don't really hold it in place very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
      I still have mine, a Dual 75a, that I bought new. I'm not sure why, of all the components that passed through my hands over the years, I kept this one, but it seemed stupid to get rid of it at some point (though I sold the SP 3-a-1 that was its companion to upgrade to an SP-10 mk ii).
      The amp was recapped back in 2004? by Soundsmith before he got so deeply into his proprietary cartridge development; and 7 or so years ago, I bought a complete set of the output tubes from ARC, along with new barrier strip terminals and a few other odds and ends. I still have the packing, the warranty card and the instructions, such as they are. I should have it re-done, but I don't really have a use for it right now. So, it sits on display in one of my rooms.
      PS: there's also a reason why the tube cage comes off- ARC used sheet metal screws to fix the edges of the perforated metal cage to the chassis. They don't really hold it in place very well.
      A neighbor downstairs when I lived in the Bronx had the D76a/SP3a-1/van Alstine modded pairing. With Timpani IIIs. Couldn't tell a whole lot since he didn't believe in cables and the ends of the zip cord speaker cable had turned green and was rotting. System was harsher than hell. But the ARC/Magnepan was SOTA for the day and Lyric sold that system with table for 12K.

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

The D-76 was my first high-end tube amp and I had many great hours of listening through it. Let's be clear that it's not in the same league as the ARC Ref 75 though.
        SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

somethings that are old to some are new to others. I acquired an early ARC SP-3 that I sent to Joe Curcio (in fact, its on its way back to me this week) and he added an enhanced regulated PS, changed out the PS caps and most importantly revised the RIAA so that its flat. for some weird reason the stock SP-3s curve rolled the bass and highs off off early. The output section was revised as well to lower the impedance which replaces a 12AX7 for a 12AT7. Ill try to post pics and listening impressions when its back in action.

Comment

mep Oh, I think it would sound fairly tubular, and I'm not sure how much midrange transparency it would have by today's standards either. That Tympani system Myles described was a typical hook up for the early days. On the other hand,Rob - the SP 3 from the era, with the period updates, was also somewhat old-fashioned sounding, but you aren't the first person I've heard say that updating it is worthwhile. Wasn't there a "C" version that was more current? When I needed a preamp for this vintage system I've been working on, I thought about another SP-3 (in pimp gold/black, mine was silver), but figured between price of the old piece, and restoration, I'd be in deep, compared to the relative bargain of the MX-110z). That SP-3 was a world beater in its day, though. (Except for the Marantz 7, which quietly endured ARC bursting onto the scene in the early '70s without blinking an eye).

Comment

• Bill Hart
              Bill Hart commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, but there were several "old" 7 tube preamps still in use in my circle in this era. It was still considered at the vanguard in the early '70s, at least among the crowd I knew. The SP 3 was the "new" one.

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              the "C" revision involves an all new PS board, installing new RCA jacks and ALPS pot. the PS upgrade alone may improve the sonics but doesn't address the fundamental issue with the RIAA and high output impedance. 15 yrs ago ARC used to charge 900 for the C upgrade and has since ballooned to 2800. Used C models come up now and again for ~2k.

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              Marantz went solid state around '68

Originally posted by Rob View Post
            somethings that are old to some are new to others. I acquired an early ARC SP-3 that I sent to Joe Curcio (in fact, its on its way back to me this week) and he added an enhanced regulated PS, changed out the PS caps and most importantly revised the RIAA so that its flat. for some weird reason the stock SP-3s curve rolled the bass and highs off off early. The output section was revised as well to lower the impedance which replaces a 12AX7 for a 12AT7. Ill try to post pics and listening impressions when its back in action.
            Any news?

Comment

Working...
            X