Vintage conrad-Johnson Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage conrad-Johnson Gear

June marked their 40th year in business.

Their first product, the conrad-johnson preamplifier, later known as the PV-1. Lew Johnson's prototype.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4220.JPG Views:	1 Size:	380.3 KB ID:	63798Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4221.JPG Views:	1 Size:	121.1 KB ID:	63797

And the final production version. Received great review from Harry Pearson and put the fledgling company on the map. Main criticism of the early unit was it was a little noisy that cj remedied as time went on. The rest is history.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9776.jpg Views:	1 Size:	364.0 KB ID:	63796

Their first amp, the MV75 released in 1979. The MV75A1 sounded wonderful on my Dahlquist DQ10s and later used a pair biamped horizontally on my modded Magnepan MGIIIas. cj tube amplifiers sounded glorious on Magnepans! Easy load, if somewhat inefficient speakers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9775.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.6 KB ID:	63795
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Very Dynaco PAS like for the prototype preamp.
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, now that you mention it.

Bill Johnson's first amps were all based on Dynacos. anyone remember the ARC upgrade kit for the ST70 sold through Old Colony? those were and still are desirable pieces.

One of my all-time favorite CJ amps was the Premier 1. I had so many opportunities to buy one (relatively cheap) back in the day, now you cant seem to find one for love or money.
    Simon Yorke S10 | Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru | AcousticPlan PhonoMaster | Muse Model Two | Innuous ZEN Mini Mk II | Valvet Soulshine2 | Valvet E2 | Avantgarde Uno Fino XD

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      Bill Johnson's first amps were all based on Dynacos. anyone remember the ARC upgrade kit for the ST70 sold through Old Colony? those were and still are desirable pieces.

One of my all-time favorite CJ amps was the Premier 1. I had so many opportunities to buy one (relatively cheap) back in the day, now you cant seem to find one for love or money.
      The Premier 1 was a great amplifier and one of the first (first?) BIG wattage tube amplifiers. Sid Marks had one and it sounded fabulous on the Infinities. Reliable as hell in his system Its main drawback was a rolled off upper octave. Know cj still even upgrades with Premier 1s with Teflon caps.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Here's my history with CJ. I guess these are all vintage now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CJ_PV8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	71.3 KB ID:	63856
        I still have my PV-8. Before the PV-8 I had a PV-5, but no pic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	16LS_a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	63857
        Premier 16LS - an absolutely wonderful linestage and a real looker. Wish I'd kept this one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CJP12_4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	63858
        Premier 12 monos - used these to drive Audio Physics Avanti Centuries

Click image for larger version  Name:	Prem140_1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	63859
        Premier 140 - the start of CJ's ill-fated use of 6H30s?

Click image for larger version  Name:	CJACT2_1_small.jpg Views:	1 Size:	72.3 KB ID:	63860
        ACT2 Linestage

Comment

• Metamatic
          Metamatic commented
          Editing a comment
          totally agree re the prem 16. it was an awesome linestage. can't say I ever liked the ACT2 line stage. it looks very cool thou.

Lew's original concept sketch for the ART preamplifier done on a sleepless night in London!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4229.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	63970

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Working...
        X