Consolettes in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consolettes in

I just actually set up the Consolettes this weekend for a more serious listen - I had run the SP-3A-1 for a bit as well prior.

I don't have a SUT anymore but I'm running these wide open and straight in with the Atlas and aside from the usual foilbles of a little noise and the consequences of loading to the high frequencies - I mean, this is enjoyable with the contour controls on the Marantz it is quite amazing actually.

The Etna SL is too low in output as is the Koetsu. The Goldfinger Statement would be better but I wasn't in the mood to mount it

The 3box Io Eclipse upgrade is still not back yet- so I will rotate through a few iterations in the meanwhile.

I tried tape last night with the de Havilland and Otari and I had a tape malfunction that would make you cry but I got it sorted. So, gun shy on the tape and repro for now.

I do so want a Studer but I am waiting for something more local - it may never happen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0101 (002).jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	81513Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0098 (002).jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	81514
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2

Love those Consolettes. Had an SP 3-a-1 back in the day, and we used to compare it to the Marantz 7 (not really sure what conclusions were reached, this was in what, 1974 or so?).
    I got scammed trying to buy a restored Marantz 7 at that time- finally did get my money back. Never had the Consolettes, though I have heard them in other systems, the last time about 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
      Love those Consolettes. Had an SP 3-a-1 back in the day, and we used to compare it to the Marantz 7 (not really sure what conclusions were reached, this was in what, 1974 or so?).
      I got scammed trying to buy a restored Marantz 7 at that time- finally did get my money back. Never had the Consolettes, though I have heard them in other systems, the last time about 5 years ago.
      Hi Bill, I could shoot out all three, I don't have the energy anymore... its a lot of work! There's a lot to say for the 7 its a work of art as far as I'm concerned.

Here's a shot of my listening room shortly after we built the house and all I had was concrete walls and floors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4084.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	81519
      Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a franken-sp3 by Curcio, which sound-wise, id put against any preamp i've owed over the last 30 yrs and I i've owned a few!

• kcin
        kcin commented
        Editing a comment
        The SP3 is a special piece

• Bill Hart
        Bill Hart commented
        Editing a comment
        Great photo.

Beautiful!

Comment

very cool. do you have the adapter that unified the two pieces for stereo? IIRC it used a stepped stereo attenuator with discrete resistors - pretty advanced for 1954 (!) or thereabouts. I'm always astounded by how modern an original 8b amp can sound (transparency, extended highs & lows, etc). mine's completely original with no mods (carbon resistors, vintage coupling caps, etc) and in a way it says something about far we haven't come.
        How Do You Beat Audiophile Nervosa?

Step Number 1: Upgrade your music collection first. If you do it correctly that should keep you busy in perpetuity.

Comment

• kcin
          kcin commented
          Editing a comment
          No adapter here... Engineers like Sid Smith paved the way... Nothing much new except for material science- can you imagine if they had the parts then that are available now?

• Bill Hart
          Bill Hart commented
          Editing a comment
          I never knew about those adapters or if I did, I forgot. I looked it up and found some photos. it was a vertical box and the one photo showed a flange where it must have connected either to both preamp chassis or to a rack so, it looked like it would appear as one integrated unit with the preamps. I wonder if they offered a wooden case to accommodate the whole assembly?
          There was one for sale (expired) on Audiogon with some very good photos, including the innards.

• mep
          mep commented
          Editing a comment
          And just when we thought that the Consolettes were rare, we find out there was an adapter to tie them together for stereo. Marantz was way ahead of the curve for high-end audio at a very early stage. Model 2 and Model 5 amps are something to behold as well.

mep I was doing a shoot out with the amps some time ago and took a pic of the 2,5 and 8 I don't have the 9's

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891 (003).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	81585

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome...

• Bill Hart
          Bill Hart commented
          Editing a comment
          Please check the deadwax on that After the Gold Rush and if it isn't an RE-1, find one!
          Note: this is like one of those ads with the beautiful girl and the car-- what car?
          Yep, the equipment is gorgeous.
      Working...
      X