Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has nostalgia ever caused you to repurchase audio components you sold years ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DetroitVinylRob.......I have also had a fascination with horn loudspeakers and tube amps. My very first decent sound system back in 1968 included a pair of McIntosh MC30 mono tube amps and a pair of Altec Voice of the Theater speakers. It was a great sounding system. To this day I still fantasize about the old Altec speakers and spend time looking at websites like Great Plains Audio https://greatplainsaudio.com/products/ thinking about a pair of bass reflex woofers and compression drivers and horns in some nice cabinets.
    Last edited by jdandy; 07-30-2018, 07:11 PM.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE with SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
    LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 MkIII (2), MR85, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

Comment

Here's a video I posted to YouTube 4 years ago. My McIntosh MA230 driving the Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers from an Esoteric K-03 and a music file on my laptop. Click the full screen icon for a better view.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE with SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
      LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 MkIII (2), MR85, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

Comment

Only once - I bought an Eagle 2A long after I had sold my original one because I saw one advertised locally in good condition for a good price and had a pair of speakers on hand that I thought would do well with exactly what the Eagle had on offer, and I was right - nothing made those old Wilson Watt3/Puppy2s boogie like the Eagle did. It worked great until I blew it up trying to force some stiff speaker wire with large spades into the way too small space provided and shorted one channel. Too expensive to fix, I abandoned it to the repair shop for salvage.
        SME 10/IV, Lyra Kleos, Cotter Mk. 2L sut, BAT VK-D5 (diy ‘six-pak’ upgrade), Audioengine D2 WiFi dac (for streaming from iMac desktop), Plinius Hautonga, Totem Forest Signatures, MIT Shotgun S1 phono, Shotgun S1 Proline (cd player), S3 (dac), Acoustic BBQ Full Rack usb, Shotgun S1 speaker cable with Zu Isis jumpers, RGPC Substation and1200S, Marigo Ultra and Reference power cords, Schiit Lyr, Sennheiser HD-600 with Dekoni hybrid pads and Cardas wire, VPI 16.5 and other miscellaneous and sundry widgets, thingamabobs and doodads.

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitVinylRob View Post
          ...seems like my whole fascination with horn loudspeakers, vacuum tube amps, and vinyl have me chasing nostalgia in a sense... but never rebought an old piece of gear (yet).

Would love to hear an old Moth 2A3 or pair of Don Garber fi monos that I never had though.
          I heard the Moth 2A3 amp driving their Empire speaker system at CES (maybe in 2000 or 2001) and it was one of the best implementations of a single driver rear loaded speaker I've heard. This is a photo of the speaker that was used at that CES. I believe it had an AER driver, not a Lowther. Don't remember the driver used in the massive sub hidden away in the center cabinet. At the show, they had that hidden behind a curtain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	123754
          Steve Lefkowicz
          Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
          --------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Once. I used an Lamm LP2 happily for many years but when a client asked to buy pretty much my whole system sans my turntable, I could't say no. During my system rebuild I went with the EMT unit until I went all CH for one rotation and now had an L2.1, LL2.1 and M2.2s in another. While the successor is probably better out of the box, I always felt that there was more to be had with an LP2 for the reason that I only ever had the opportunity to use the INIB-JAN equivalents Vladimir could source reliably in quantity. I always dreamt of being able to use it with real WE 417As, which as you all know are one of the rarest to find. I bought back an LP2 hoping that maybe someday I could find a quad.

ot to long ago, a friend right here on Audio Nirvana offered me some from his personal stash! If you are reading this my friend, help me make my dream come true

Comment

A long time ago, I had Arnie Nudell's Infinity Servo-Statik 1As in Rosewood. Looked & sounded great in their time, but mine were too unreliable. I sold them and bought a pair of Magnepan Tympanis.

A year or so later, the Infinity purchaser needed some money, and I repurchased them. As long as I could keep at least one spare replacement mid-range & one tweeter replacement panel under my bed, it was great.

Comment

Working...
              X