Vintage system in studio control room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage system in studio control room

Today was a fun day. A member of Audio Aficionado forum gifted me his Sony DTC-59ES digital audio tape machine that he no longer had use for. It arrived today along with a box of 100 DAT tapes. What a great gift.

I already own and enjoy a Sony DTC-60ES DAT machine that I have installed in the living room system. Getting the DTC-59ES DAT machine as a gift is wonderful. I was pleased to discover the DAT machine was in very good condition both cosmetically and mechanically. It only took me a few minutes to get it installed in the vintage sound system I have set up in an alcove area of my recording studio control room. The vintage system includes the McIntosh MA230 integrated amp, a Tandberg 3011A tuner, an Olive 04HD music server/DAC, JBL 4312A speakers, and now includes the Sony DTC-59ES DAT machine.

I have already listened to two of the 100 DAT tapes Steve included, Tracy Chapman, and Houston Person. So nice. I connected the digital output from the DAT machine to the digital input of the DAC in the Olive 04HD music server, as well as the analog outputs of the DAT machine to the tape monitor inputs on the McIntosh MA230. This allows me to do direct A/B comparisons of the DTC-59ES DAC output and the Olive 04HD DAC output. So far the DAC in the Olive 04HD has the edge over the older DAC in the DAT machine but not by a wide margin. Both sound quite good but the 04HD DAC seems to have a bit more air around instruments and voices.

Click image for larger version  Name:	44227633161_c6f3af5267_b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	207.9 KB ID:	95693

Click image for larger version  Name:	42419765060_7b5214bdf1_b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	204.5 KB ID:	95694
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE with SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
    LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 MkIII (2), MR85, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

It appears the previous owner found their Sony DTC-59ES the ideal home. Enjoy Dan!
    [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Originally posted by RoadDawgWest View Post
      It appears the previous owner found their Sony DTC-59ES the ideal home. Enjoy Dan!
      Don.......I believe you are right. The previous owner told me he had not used the DAT recorder in years and had no intention to put it to use. I could not refuse the offer when it was made. I have been a tape fan in one form or another since the late 1960's. I still own two reel to reel tape machines, three cassette machines, and now have two digital audio tape machines. What is astonishing about the DAT format is it still holds up well today, especially with the digital output signal fed to a modern DAC. My Sony DTC-60ES DAT recorder in the living room feeds its digital output to the new Yggdrasil DAC. I sounds incredibly good. No doubt tape, both analog and digital, are old school. Building playlists with a music server is much simpler and far less time consuming but there's something about the hands on routine of recording and playback with tape that I still find enjoyable.

A forum member on another site posted the comment that I should make sure the output tubes of the McIntosh MA230 integrated amplifier get plenty of fresh air. I think he was worried the gear stacked on top of the MA230's case in the vintage system may possibly restrict airflow. I have this under control with two SilenX 12 volt fans that are powered by a 6 volt transformer from one of the amp's switched outlets. This 6 volts instead of 12 volts reduces the fan speed so they run silent, but each fan still pulls enough cool air across the 7591 output tubes to keep the top of the cabinet's metal vent cool to the touch. There is no issue with heat, not even with the gear stacked as I have it. This is how I have the fans installed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	14748644776_e1eb24c6ff_b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	276.7 KB ID:	95715
      Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE with SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
      LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 MkIII (2), MR85, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

Comment

Dan
        I remember using my fathers Sony TC755 R2R machine, recording tracks from LPs. At the time there was something satisfying making those tape playlists. That is a genius use of the switched outputs to power those fans. I really like the elegant look of the MA230, and only can imagine is the ultimate in the vintage McIntosh sound. The stack of equipment you have there shows the various evolutions of audio equipment offered the years. Really cool.
        [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Don.......It is kind of cool to have a 50+ year old integrated amplifier, McIntosh's first integrated amp as a matter of fact, playing with digital audio components, a technology that wasn't even dreamed of back in it's day. It is remarkable how good this vintage system sounds. Quite naturally, McIntosh and JBL have been paired for decades keeping lots of young and old audiophiles quite happy. That includes me.

Yes, mixed music reel to reel tapes are great fun to record. It is still the best way to make mixed music playlists from vinyl records without having an A/D to D/A converter digitizing everything. Tape keeps the music format all analog.
          Last edited by jdandy; 08-27-2018, 02:03 PM.
          Dan

Comment

Very Nice!
            Regards,
            Jim

Comment

I like this one also posted it under jokes for monday and what is the WAF on this

https://news.justcollecting.com/led-...GF78krrGRMMzYE

Comment

when you posted vintage, I didn't expect digital.
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
                X