X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dre_J
    replied
    Originally posted by Purevinyl View Post
    Received the Delmark sampler tape (15 ips) and who is next on the list?

​​​​​​If the next person can me your name/address

Thanks
    Go Here (where you signed up) and click the little arrow in the top right of the comment section to expand the comment section on the Delmark post: https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...220#post109220

I believe Astrotoy is the name after yours on that list.

Dre

Leave a comment:

• Purevinyl
    replied
    Received the Delmark sampler tape (15 ips) and who is next on the list?

​​​​​​If the next person can me your name/address

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• vinylrules
    replied
    Dear Myles,

I am interested in being put on the list to receive this Delmark Records sampler as part of your Audionirvana Tape Circle Project.

Thanks!

Oz
    Let There Be Sound, L.L.C.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Relistened tonight to the new Delmark sampler tape, this time comparing the sensational sounding Junior Wells 45 rpm AP reissue LP to the sampler tape. Sorry or happy to say that the tape is champ here by quite a bit despite the LP being played with SAT/Atlas SL combon sounding really good. The tape is punchier, has more information, more midrange presence and is simply cleaner sounding. But if you don't have tape capability definitely order the 45 rpm LP!

Quick comment. These early stereo recordings like the Wells and Forrest strike me even more on the tape as exhibiting the typical early stereo issues with the engineers trying to find or create that middle phantom channel. Not hard left--right like Rudy but not quite centered with some center image wander. Still, the Wells and Forrest cuts are just so studio lifelike. And on the Forrest we have the very first Grant Green recording who is accompanied by the likes Harold Maybern (who is still a youthful 82 and plays regularly at Smoke in NYC) Elvin Jones and Gene Ramey. They do a great swinging version of Caravan on this album with a rawer Green showing his stuff on guitar.

Now the Sun Ra is interesting. He’s arguably the best jazz musician no one knows about. Sun Ra ha more recordings by any jazz musician, is great composer who inspired free jazz and funk and a nut case. The recording is mono (1956) which kind of turns me off; given that the sound and especially music is just amazing. Even I could see adding this tape to my collection.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Look what just landed!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190226_161006.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	109185

Leave a comment:

• Afveep
    replied
    I am interested in the sampler as well please.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Just received an email from Don that he will ship the sampler out tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Esb
    replied
    Please add me to the sampler list..Thanks

Leave a comment:

• squasher
    replied
    Please add me to the sampler list and post more details about where/when these tapes are available for purchase.

Leave a comment:

• jcmusic
    replied
    Myles I would like to be added to the sampler list for this one, thanks...

Leave a comment:

• Bill Hart
    replied
    Interview with Bob Koester, Founder of Delmark Records, In Connection with National Recording Registry Essay on Hoodoo Man Blues
    Bob Koester, Delmark Records, Jazz Record Mart, Chicago Blues,

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
    You know, I interviewed Bob Koester on the making of that album, happy to post a link.* It was done in connection with the National Recording Registry essay- there was too much material for that essay, so I did a stand alone piece.

*Not to be shilling myself or anything.
    Please post the link!

Leave a comment:

• Bill Hart
    replied
    You know, I interviewed Bob Koester on the making of that album, happy to post a link.* It was done in connection with the National Recording Registry essay- there was too much material for that essay, so I did a stand alone piece.

*Not to be shilling myself or anything.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply
    Not yet, will ask.

• Bill Hart
    replied
    "In the Wee Wee Hours"- from Hoodoo Man Blues-- you can smell the cigarette smoke from the club. Killer track, killer album.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X