Opus3records Tape ⭕️

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus3records Tape ⭕️

Opus 3 Records has been producing audiophile recording over 40 years! Might I even be so bold to say that you’re not an audiophile if you haven’t heard an Opus 3 LP, CD or high res file.

Jan-Eric Persson, owner and pretty much everything at Opus 3, graciously sent us the Opus 3 Sampler Tape #6 for our tape circle. This is a rare — and not to be missed opportunity — to hear these recordings as they were intended on 15 ips tape!

“One” Open Reel Selection of Opus 3 Analogue Recordings, Vol. 6 AMC-26120

1. East of the Sun (Brooks - Bowman)
    From: Lars Erstrand Quartet, feat. Kjell Öhman, ”Dream Dancing” CD 9101 5´09

2. Nobody´s Blues But Mine (C. Williams))
    From: ”Tomas Örnberg´s BLUE FIVE and friends, CD 19102 4´53

3. Going Home (Trad. Arr. by Eric Bibb)

Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy (1809-1847)
    4. Allegro di molto (Excerpt) – ”Lieder ohne worte”.
    From: Stockholm Guitar Quartet, (Medelssohn-Brahms-Debussy) CD 9001 1´59

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)
    5. Allegro (Excerpt) – ”Clarinet Quintet in A-major, K.V. 581”
    From: Kjell Fagéus (Basset Clarinet) & Zetterqvist Quartet, CD 19301 4´06

Lars Erik Larsson (1908-1986)
    6. Ballad: Moderato, - ”Concertino for double bass and orchestra.”
    From: Thorvald Fredin & The Oskarshamn Ensemble, SACD 8522 4´46
    Conductor: Jan-Olav Wedin

7. Dr. Jazz (W. Melrose - King Oliver) 5´01
    From: ”Kustbandet Live in Stockholm” (only available as MasterCopy or DSD128)

Playback EQ: IEC/CCIR (35uS)

2-track, 1/4” at 38 cm/s (15”)
    Catalogue nos. from the original albums.

Sampler tapes as well as the whole album from which the samplers are taken are available from Kevin Berg at Elusive Disc. Tapes can either be ordered at the Elusive Disc website or by directly contacting Kevin at: berg_kevin@hotmail.com.

Please indicate your interest in this tape by emailing me with your shipping info or posting in this thread.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Ensemble Fuoco hybrid integrated amplifier
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Interest! Myles I believe you have my details from the other sampler. Thanks!
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Oppo BDP-95, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

I'm in too. Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Tape went to Purevinyl, then will go to esb, Skylab and then Astrotoy.

Sure there’s more out there who want to hear this tape. This is one of the best tapes you will ever hear. Jan-Eric achieved a level of transparency with his Telefunken deck that few labels equaled, much less bettered. Really will test your system.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -Ensemble Fuoco hybrid integrated amplifier
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I would love to hear it but my King Cello tape stage won't be finished for a month...
          Magico M-Project, CAT JL7s, CJ GAT/darTZeel 18NS, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/Black Beauty/Atlas SL/Opus-1,CH Precision P1, Schiit Yggdrasil, KS Elation ICs & SCs

Comment

• astrotoy
            astrotoy commented
            Editing a comment
            Ian, by the time it gets to me, it will be a month! Larry

wanted to post that i just received a sampler tape from Myles it was the "Opus 3 Vol.6" and what a treat it was!

First of all, I'd like to give special thanks to Myles, and all the participating Vendors for making this happen. for a relatively new guy in tape, it was a very cool experience and appreciation for Myles dedication and passion for the tape community.

the Opus 3 Vol.6 sounded great on my Tascam BR20T deck, it was a mixture of great selections. i feel the quality (sound/music) is on pace with the Tape Project and Acoustic Sounds, based on the tapes i have from them.

my conclusion: i was impressed with the quality (sound/music) from Opus 3 Analogue
          Recordings, and will be looking at adding "Opus 3" Tapes to my collection!

Comment

• astrotoy
            astrotoy commented
            Editing a comment
            Great to hear your experience.

Opus3 of course does their own releases, so doesn't license them like TP and Chad. However, unlike most of the other tape people, they have a long running professional company that has been releasing commercial LP's, CDs, SACD's and now tapes since the 70's. I have about 30-40 of their records known for their sound quality which I bought starting in the '70's. The other difference from most companies is that they are selling direct copies of their master tapes, not making an intermediate running master. So the tapes are only one generation from the master tape. They cost somewhat more than most other companies and they limit their sales to 50 copies (at least that was their policy when I bought the dozen tape albums from them a few years ago.

Looking forward to getting the tape.

Larry

Just wanted to clarify my previous post on Opus 3 tapes, inn addition to Opus3 tapes being direct copies of their master tapes, Jonathan Horwich (IPI) also offers direct copies of his master tapes. I have about a dozen of Jonathan's tapes, I think all but one are direct copies of his master tapes. They are superb and Jonathan charges less for those tapes than just about anyone else. If you have a choice, a direct copy of a master tape is the way to go.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            And Groove Note are second gen copies.

Just got done spinning the Opus 3 sampler tape. Indeed, outstanding sound. Very impressive. All the tracks are very, very natural sounding. Will spin again tomorrow and then off it will go to its next lucky listener!!!
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
          DIGITAL: Oppo BDP-95, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Originally posted by Skylab View Post
            Just got done spinning the Opus 3 sampler tape. Indeed, outstanding sound. Very impressive. All the tracks are very, very natural sounding. Will spin again tomorrow and then off it will go to its next lucky listener!!!
            Great to hear (no pun intended)!
            Magico M-Project, CAT JL7s, CJ GAT/darTZeel 18NS, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/Black Beauty/Atlas SL/Opus-1,CH Precision P1, Schiit Yggdrasil, KS Elation ICs & SCs

Comment

I just got the Opus3 tape yesterday. IWho's Next? (Good name for an album title). Is it Ian?

Thanks, Larry

Comment

I think it's me...?

Just got my King Cello from Charlie so I'm ready!

Comment

I'll send it off in a few days (with some other goodies). Larry

Comment

OK, the tape is ready to move on. Who's Next?

Comment

Ok folks! I received the Opus 3 Records tape last week and have now listened to it a few times and I am absolutely thrilled with it. I happen to own another Opus 3 tape (Vol. III) so I consider myself very lucky this happened to be another volume which gave me a chance to sample more of Opus 3's extensive back catalog.

In any event, while in the possession of the Opus 3 tape I also received UHA/The Tape Project provided by Greg Baron. Lucky me! ;-) This second tape is slightly shorter and contains 5 tracks but I will reserve my comments on that tape in its own thread.

Coming back to the magnificent Opus 3 tape, I am once again impressed with well balanced the sound is. All the tracks exhibit a high degree of naturalness, harmonic richness, and correct timber of instruments. All the instruments, and in the case of the one Eric Bibb track, vocals too were perfectly rendered across the stage with precise imaging. Dynamic swing was also exemplary. All in all, truly a top notch production so kudos to Myles for having pulled this project together.

As a way to thank Myles and to honor this awesome AudioNirvana Tape Circle project I have taken the liberty, with his approval, of producing a few videos which I have subsequently uploaded to my YouTube channel. The first video is of track #6 on this Opus 3, Vol. 6 tape:
                      Lars Erik Larsson (1908-1986)

6. Ballad: Moderato, - ”Concertino for double bass and orchestra.”
                      Conductor: Jan-Olav Wedin
                      I sincerely hope you enjoy the first video in The AudioNirvana Tape Circle series. All comments, suggestions and questions welcome.

All my best,

Oz
                      President
                      Let There Be Sound / Phonogram (Facebook Group)

Let There Be Sound • President (Weston, FL)
                      Zavalinka Records • U.S. Distributor

•Open Reel: Revox A77 (1/4 track), Revox A77 (1/2 track), Tascam 32, Teac X-1000R •Cassette: Nakamichi 680ZX, Nakamichi BX-300, JVC KD-A8 •Turntables: VPI Avenger Reference/Koetsu Black Goldline, Yamaha PX-2 •Electronics: Herron Audio VTPH-2A, Herron Audio VTSP-3A/360, Cary Audio DAC-200ts, Mac mini, Cary Audio CAD-120S MkII •Loudspeakers: System Audio Pandion 30 & Legend 40 Silverback

Comment

• timztunz
                        timztunz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Those Opus 3 Eric Bibb recordings are just spectacular, period.

• MylesBAstor
                        MylesBAstor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes ordering one of Eric Bibb tapes is high on my list of tapes to order. Just haven’t figured out which recording.

Ok friends, I now present to you the second (and final) video I shot of the magnificent Opus 3 Master Tape Copy. Please enjoy!

Oz
                      President
                      Let There Be Sound / Phonogram (Facebook Group)

Let There Be Sound • President (Weston, FL)
                      Zavalinka Records • U.S. Distributor

•Open Reel: Revox A77 (1/4 track), Revox A77 (1/2 track), Tascam 32, Teac X-1000R •Cassette: Nakamichi 680ZX, Nakamichi BX-300, JVC KD-A8 •Turntables: VPI Avenger Reference/Koetsu Black Goldline, Yamaha PX-2 •Electronics: Herron Audio VTPH-2A, Herron Audio VTSP-3A/360, Cary Audio DAC-200ts, Mac mini, Cary Audio CAD-120S MkII •Loudspeakers: System Audio Pandion 30 & Legend 40 Silverback

Comment

Working...
                      X