2. Mad Floyd
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Hi Myles,

Tried to send PM, your box is full.

Can you add me to the list

Danny (Purevinyl)

Comment

• Afveep
      Afveep commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. Your PM box is full. I'm interested.
      Tom

Myles, is this the list you posted separately about a couple of weeks ago. I thought a bunch of us signed up then? Thanks, Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
      Myles, is this the list you posted separately about a couple of weeks ago. I thought a bunch of us signed up then? Thanks, Larry
      This is the list for the UltraAnalogue Tape. Each tape will have its own list.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Myles,
        I would like to be added...

Comment

There’s 25 sec of 1 KHz tone, at the beginning of the tape to set the output level. This way the meters will be reading the tape levels properly. This tape was recorded at 396 nW/m. (4 db over 250 nW/m)

Ed

Comment

To further explain, what Ed is referring to is the amount of magnetism put on a tape. The original Tape Project set the standard at 250 nW/m which is a standard measure and amount of magnetism put on tape and has been for years in the industry. So most of us now use that. But unlike the past, with modern tape technology, you can easily put more magnetism on a tape without distortion and with an increase in quality. Hence Ed uses 396 nW/m which gives 4db more signal. I use 396 nW/m on my original 8 track recording but copy at 250 nW/m to keep things safe for most customers (although I push the signal hard so I am probably above 250 nW/m). But ideally we would all be using 396 nW/m and to boot, all customers would have manually adjustable outputs on their tape decks (such as the Sony APR series has) so you can lower or raise the output of the deck easily to accommodate different levels. In short, modern tape formulations can take a lot more signal than the old tape formulations and with an increase in sound quality.
            JLH

Comment

Nicely put Jonathan - thanks!

Ed

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
                jonathanhorwich commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey, you're welcome and you're smart to record as you do. At 396 nW/m not only does it sound slightly better but tape hiss is really hard to hear for the normal person like myself.

My sense is it allows the very low signals to be recorded higher up on the curve so there is much more separation of these small signals. This is where the real music lives... & gives more “air “ & “transparency “ So not only more dynamic range but much more low level detail which makes it more “real”...

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
                jonathanhorwich commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, exactly. It pulls the lower level signal up out of the noise or whatever obscurity exists down there and now one can hear it properly.

I decided, when I started UltraAnalogue, to make tapes with the absolute best sound, I could get. I knew the “standard” was 250 nW/m tapes, but stuck to 396 because it would give the audiophile a more realistic sound...

I always check with customers to see if their decks can play 396, & will make them 250 tapes if needed...

Ed

Comment

So far have received emails from the following members expressing interest in hearing the UltraAnalogue tape. In the order received:

1. Cohnaudio
                2. Genlove
                3. Skylab
                4. Mad Floyd
                5. Dminches
                6. Vinylrules
                7. Purevinyl
                8. ESB
                9. AVfeep
                10. Astrotoy
                11. JCMusic

Did I miss anybody or anyone else interested in giving the Ultraanalague sampler tape a listen? Some great music on it.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Madfloyd
                  Madfloyd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perhaps move me down the list as I don’t have my King Cello yet.

• astrotoy
                  astrotoy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Myles, you can take me off the list. I buy all of Ed's tapes as a matter of course. Thanks, Larry

Originally posted by Edward Pong View Post
                There’s 25 sec of 1 KHz tone, at the beginning of the tape to set the output level. This way the meters will be reading the tape levels properly. This tape was recorded at 396 nW/m. (4 db over 250 nW/m)

Ed
                Welcome to Audionirvana Ed! And thanks for being the first to send out a sampler tape to get the ball rolling!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Thanks for the invite Myles - I think it's a great idea!

I tried to put some complete recent tracks on this... although it's hard with sonatas as the movements are quite long...
                  I wanted to put more tracks to give some variety.. there are 4 recent Beethoven Violin Sonatas recordings which I love, but the movements are too long to put on a sampler..

Hope your guys enjoy it

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Pong View Post
                    I decided, when I started UltraAnalogue, to make tapes with the absolute best sound, I could get. I knew the “standard” was 250 nW/m tapes, but stuck to 396 because it would give the audiophile a more realistic sound...

I always check with customers to see if their decks can play 396, & will make them 250 tapes if needed...

Ed
                    Hello Ed,

What tape formulation (SM468, SM911, etc.) do you use for your customer tape transfers?

Dre
                    Every day is a good day to play analog.
                    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                    Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

I use SM900 for all the duplicates. recorded at 396 unless you want a lower level...

Comment

Working...
                      X