Thanks Rich!
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Myles, these are the tapes you mentioned you would get back to me on,still holding them.
        McIntosh MC501x2,McIntosh c2200, Innersound Eros DBX Venu 360,Von Schweikert VR4 HSE,VPI Scoutmaster w/Grado Sonata,Hana SL Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE,
        Sony APR 5003,Revox B77,Revox B760 McIntosh MR74
        Theater Room JVC Projector,Marantz AV7005 Paradigm 80's 60's and CC350, Velodyne 2 HGS10's,ATI 2505 ATI 1505 Draper 92" powered screen.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me.

Does anyone else want to hear the UltraAnalogue sampler tapes?

Just remember 2nd tape NAB EQ.,

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by vinylrules View Post
            Ok folks!

This is my long overdue post on the fabulous UltraAnalogue Recordings tapes I received last week and my first comment which is really a question is:

Why hasn't this sampler received more attention? Going back on this thread I see the original (CCIR) UltraAnalogue sampler started making the rounds June of 2018, yet, I have not seen any comments by any of the participants that went before me in relation to its fabulous program or its fabulous sound! This tape(s) are the real deal folks!

Actually, the people at the end of this UltraAnalogue thread or "circle" are now also in a position to listen, and compare, between the original Sampler which was done CCIR EQ and a brand spanking new Sampler No.2 that Ed Pong has graciously submitted to the Tape Circle but he used NAB equalization. I must say, I am quite taken aback by the differences between the two samplers presumably because of their differences equalizations. Thankfully the two samplers share two tracks in common so it is easy to compare the sound. And sound different they do! I couldn't believe it *unless* what I am hearing has more to do with the fact I am using two different open reel machines: Teac (Tascam) 33-2 and Revox A77 high-speed.

So what say you? Should I be hearing this much difference?

Truth is I find myself favoring the original CCIR (IEC) version over the latter NAB version. Not that the latest version sound bad. Far from it as evidenced by the upcoming video link I've taken the liberty of producing with Ed Pong's blessing of course. I have only edited the NAB version but hope to have the comparison CCIR/IEC video live on my YouTube channel later today so you too can listen to both versions and choose which you prefer. Or perhaps you will tell me I am imagining things and that they sound identical. And that's cool too.

Anyway, bottom line here is, these UltraAnalogue tapes are simply superb, both of them, and I look forward to indulging on Mr. Pong's catalogue in the near future. Thanks for making them available Edward!

All my best,
            I'm surprised haven't been more comments on this new sampler tape from UltraAnalogue.

I didn't pick up like Oswaldo did on the duplicated tracks between the two sampler tapes; I did, however, go back and compare them. Bear in mind that Ed Pong mentioned the initial sampler tape was a generation earlier than than the second sampler tape. They were also done in two different EQs and not sure what EQ (IEC or NAB) was originally used for the master tape). I've had the opportunity to compare different generations of recordings and in general, all things being equal, the earlier the generation the better. It's not earth shattering stuff with well duped tape but little things here and there that stick out. Little more transparency, little more information, little more midrange, etc.

But first the sampler tape. I thought Sampler Tape #2 was the best I've heard from UltraAnalogue. My main issue was most of the music tended to be over to one side of the soundstage. On the other hand, the tone, dynamics (especially of the piano) and transparency were simply outstanding. The piano was incredibly dynamic and never sounded stressed.

Between the two tapes. I preferred the NAB, later version to the earlier generation IEC duped tape. Instruments on the IEC sounded a little more distant and dimensionally flatter. The IEC had a little information particularly low level detail yet the midrange of the NAB was better and harmonics and snap of the string instruments was more palpable. The NAB was more involving while I was always held at arm's length away from the music with the IEC.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

All my masters are recorded with NAB eq at 396 nW/m.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I'm surprised haven't been more comments on this new sampler tape from UltraAnalogue.

I didn't pick up like Oswaldo did on the duplicated tracks between the two sampler tapes; I did, however, go back and compare them. Bear in mind that Ed Pong mentioned the initial sampler tape was a generation earlier than than the second sampler tape. They were also done in two different EQs and not sure what EQ (IEC or NAB) was originally used for the master tape). I've had the opportunity to compare different generations of recordings and in general, all things being equal, the earlier the generation the better. It's not earth shattering stuff with well duped tape but little things here and there that stick out. Little more transparency, little more information, little more midrange, etc.

But first the sampler tape. I thought Sampler Tape #2 was the best I've heard from UltraAnalogue. My main issue was most of the music tended to be over to one side of the soundstage. On the other hand, the tone, dynamics (especially of the piano) and transparency were simply outstanding. The piano was incredibly dynamic and never sounded stressed.

Between the two tapes. I preferred the NAB, later version to the earlier generation IEC duped tape. Instruments on the IEC sounded a little more distant and dimensionally flatter. The IEC had a little information particularly low level detail yet the midrange of the NAB was better and harmonics and snap of the string instruments was more palpable. The NAB was more involving while I was always held at arm's length away from the music with the IEC.

Dear Myles,

Thanks for your comments! All the masters are recorded in NAB because, for what I record, in my space, with this equipment NAB sounds better to me...
                Here, even though Sampler 2 is a 2nd generation copy, in NAB, you preferred it... (as you say, a 1st generation copy would sound even better)
                My sense is exactly the same as yours, there's more realism in the mid base & textures were more natural, especially violin overtones are more realistic.... so it's definitely good to have options for EQ when recording... nothing is absolute!

Comment

Working...
                X