Yarlung's Latest Tapes - Yuko Machubi Trio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yarlung's Latest Tapes - Yuko Machubi Trio

Just ordered and received the very recent Yarlung tapes from Bob Attiyeh. They are the two sets of two tapes all by the Yuko Machubi Trio. Both are live concerts recorded at a 90 seat venue at USC with excellent acoustics captured with what sounds like very simple miking, so there is a real sense of being in the room with the performers. I have listened to the first self titled album which is a combination of jazz standards and some japanese jazz along with some original compositions. The trio is composed of Yuko Machubi a really fine Japanese pianist with bass player Del Atkins and drummer Bob Breton. The album has also been released on vinyl (half of the songs) and CD (and I think SACD). The tapes are quite full with slightly over an hour of music on the two reels. Bob Attiyeh uses Arian Jansen's custom machines and SM468 tape for both recording and dubbing.

Bottom line - if you want a jazz album from extremely talented musicians which has to die for sonics (meaning you've died and gone to heaven and they are playing in a perfect acoustic just for you and your friends) then this is it.

I'll try to listen to the other album, a Tribute to Miles Davis, which features the Yuko Machubi Trio trumpeter JJ Fitzpatrick from the Sophisticated Lady jazz quartet that Yarlung has also recorded, in a live concert in the same venue recorded last year. I am fortunate to have both Kind of Blue and Milestones (from which three of the songs were taken and adapted by the group) in 1/2" safety masters, so I can compare their versions to the ones Davis did almost 60 years ago.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
    .......I am fortunate to have both Kind of Blue and Milestones (from which three of the songs were taken and adapted by the group) in 1/2" safety masters, so I can compare their versions to the ones Davis did almost 60 years ago.

Larry

Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RAS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Kuzma 4-Point 14" and TW 10.5" Arms - Air Tight Opus-1 & Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC - Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup) + Doshi V.3 Tape Stage - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables - Stillpoints Aperture II Panels and Ultra 5S under speakers and Ultra SS's sprinkled about - SRA and Symposium platforms - Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM

Comment

Working...
    X