No announcement yet.

Distinctive Stereo Thows Weekend Event Featuring Genesis Advanced Technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distinctive Stereo Thows Weekend Event Featuring Genesis Advanced Technologies

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_113251.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	123674Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_123431.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	123671Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_123342.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	123672Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_123335.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.20 MB ID:	123673Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_123442.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.07 MB ID:	123675
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_123500.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	123677Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_123520.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	123679Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_123606.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	123680Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_130910.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	123678

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190914_152814.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	123683Click image for larger version

Name:	20190914_152847.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	123684Click image for larger version

Name:	20190914_152838.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	123685Click image for larger version

Name:	20190914_152759.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	123686

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_123355.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	123690Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_123557.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	123691Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_165357.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	123688Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_154635.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.59 MB ID:	123689

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

When it rains, it pours. RMAF in Denver last weekend and a special audio event at Distinctive Stereo in Montvale, NJ this weekend. Guest of honor at this weekend's get together was Gary Koh, owner of Genesis Advanced Audio Technologies who came from Seattle for the event and had spent eight hours on Friday installing a pair of his 7-way Maestro speakers (with powered bass) into Distinctive Stereo’s rather large 30 x 22 x 11 ft listening room. Cameo appearances were also made by several other manufacturers of lines that proprietor Laurence Borden of Distinctive Stereo represents including Merrill Wettasinghe of Merrill Audio electronics and Mat Weisfeld of VPI turntables. Together the system consisted of Gary's Maestro speakers, Merrill Audio's 300 wpc Element 116 monoblock amplifiers (doubling down to 2 ohms) and Christine preamplifier, Genesis Adv. Audio Tech. phonostage and VPI's HW40 turntable outfitted with a vdh Crimson Gold cartridge or a VPI Avenger Reference turntable with an Ortofon A95 cartridge. (stay tuned in Positive-Feedback for my review of these amplifiers!) Cabling consisted of Merrill Audio ICs and WyWires speaker cables.

Gary always comes equipped for these events with goodies from his record stash or loaded with tips for audiophiles to get more from their audio systems. Among the tracks Gary spun were "Day Tripper" from Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 Greatest Hits (along with his story on buying 40 copies of this album in order to find the best version and why the Australian pressing is the one to have), "The Expert" from Yello's Touch, "Show Biz Kids" from Rickie Lee Jones' It's Like This and "Dance of the Tumblers" from RR's Exotic Dances. Mat also broke out for the occasion his M&K Sampler Disc and played the "Flamenco Fever," "Birdland" from Earl Hines Fatha and "Encore" from The Roger Wagner Chorale (not quite up to M&K's D2D version but nevertheless still darn good!). There was absolutely no question about the system's neutrality and ability to reveal differences between each recording as Gary went from disc-to-disc.

I noted during the course of the demo that Gary arranged his speakers so they faced straight ahead with no toe-in. Ever curious, I queried Gary about his philosophy of toe-in vs. no toe-in for speaker set-up; that eventually segued into Gary's demonstrating the importance of having precisely levelling your speakers. Precisely in this case pertains to differences on the order of 1/32 of an inch in height between the front of in this case the left and front speaker. Gary's Maestro's are capable of this sort of precision because of their design; the height of each foot is easily adjustable with an allen wrench. Thus knowing the pitch of the screws and the amount of turn(s) (here a 180 degree turn changed the height by 1/32 of inch) allows one to precisely adjust the height of the speaker. Then Gary proceeded to demonstrate the importance of having your speakers leveled (of course front-to-back level can affect image height) by raising the height of the front of the left speaker relative to the right Maestro by 1/32 of an inch. Yes, you read the correctly. A whole 1/32 of an inch! Have you adjusted your speakers to those tolerances? I know I haven't and probably is near impossible with my speakers. Then Gary went back and replayed the "Show Biz Kids" track and my jaw dropped. Image height was reduced by half. The soundstage and images flattened. Tone was just off. Take home message: don't be afraid to try this free tweak (if you haven't already leveled your speakers). Who knows? It might provide some marked improvement in the sound of your system and save you some money!!

A quick lunch break after which the group reconvening to hear Gary discuss the production of his recent direct-to-disc recording of Annie Bisson Four Seasons in Jazz: Live at Bernies. (still available from Acoustic Sounds.) Gary discussed what goes into putting a recording together (getting the buy-in of everyone including the artist and recording engineer), the recording itself (selection of studio, mikes, lacquers, etc; this is also documented in the album) and then the plating and the selection of vinyl composition for the final release. On this day, Gary treated the full house of attentive audiophiles to a listen of a just unwrapped lacquer as well as three different test pressings with different vinyl compositions, the final product and then another test pressing. The difference were unmistakable in going from the first (a clear vinyl that sounded rolled off, some loss of energy and recessed in the midrange), to the second (a softer black vinyl that was a little more open with a bit better definition on the kick drum) to the third and selected pressing (a slightly harder black vinyl that had much more air, openness to Bisson's voice and music flow). Then Gary played the final version that seemed a little closer to the second than third test pressing. Then Gary played another test pressing that went by without comment. But I had to comment because this pressing was inferior to the previous test pressings Gary had played particularly when it came to airiness. Gary then revealed that this test pressing originated from a lacquer that was plated at RTI two days, not within 24 hours after mastering (Yes, Gary had mentioned something about having to silver the lacquers asap after mastering and the effects but here was direct evidence!). Si attention to detail counts and here's proof.

A few comments about the sound of the system with discs played back on the VPI HW40 and vdh cartridge. This was the best sound I've heard from the Maestros marred only maybe by a slight bump in the lower bass. The speakers (and system) produced an enormous soundstage (heard best with the Yello cut) with performers precisely locked in place (heard best with the RLJ cut) within the soundfield. Vocals were distinctively rendered; Mel Torme sounded like Mel, Rickie Lee like Rickie and Annie like Annie. Dynamics--a forte of the Merrill amps--was seemingly unlimited and unstressed. (I'm also not sure of the newness of the speakers.) Neither was low level resolution neglected either. The Maestro is very complete speaker that embodies Gary's basic philosophy; each speakers in his product line share the same design principles with the main difference being the environment/size of the room they will be placed in.

Thanks to Laurence Borden for putting the event together and helping out with transportation out of New York City to Montvale along with all the other industry participants assisting Gary in this endeavor!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Thank you Myles for the great pictures and write up. The Music 99% provided by Gary Koh was an almost once in a life time experience - unless you have access to recording vaults. The Laquer pressing that was not going to be used only has 12 plays before it is deteriorated beyond good fidelity, we heard the 1st play!

For those that missed this great setup, there Genesis Speakers will be on display at the VPI House Event on the 27th, 28th and 29th of September, which is the IsoAcoustics, Merrill Audio and Focal Event.
            https://ckarchive.com/b/92uzhnhp4w86

Sadly we don't have all the great albums that Gary had however VPI has their own selection of special, hard to find albums and I plan to add a few more to that.

Merrill Audio.

Comment

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              why not record the laquer to reel to reel on the first play to preserve the fidelity?

• garylkoh
              garylkoh commented
              Editing a comment
              The lacquer I played was the 3rd best take of that side. The best take, and the second best were already converted for pressing. We also made a direct-to-2track in parallel when the lacquers were cut. So, we already have a 30ips 1/2-inch tape of the entire recording session.

Thanks to all there and the host for a great room to play in.
            I enjoyed every minute of being there. The many plays of the ANNE bisson tracks were a treat to observe and narrated so well.
            I was so amazed of the sound quality I bought a signed numbered album right there from the seat lol. Coming here soon.
            Thanks Myles for the post of the event
            analog stuff.
            otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
            otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
            sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
            new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
            thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
            thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
            kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
            phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
            speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
            mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
            digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

Myles, thank you for the fabulous pictures and write-up of the event. As this was the first event I've had the pleasure of doing in New Jersey, I brought a selection of demo records that I've used through the years. Many of the participants took pictures (or 'SoundHounded') the records I brought, and I noticed some even bought the albums from eBay or Discogs or Elusive Disc right in the seat while the record was still playing!!

So, for the Audio Nirvana members who could not be there, I will be posting the album covers (and a bit of narrative) here over the next few days when I have time.

The Anne Bisson album I spent a lot of time on is Four Seasons in Jazz Live at Bernie's. It is out of print, and we are sold out but some of the on-line sellers do have copies left.

Name:	Four Seasons.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	123769

Comment

• adeep42
                adeep42 commented
                Editing a comment
                Great album. A real feat of musicianship when you understand the Direct to Disc process.

• garylkoh
                garylkoh commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks adeep42. We all put a lot of effort into this album. As I explained during the session, the musicians got together to practice - weekly for the couple of months leading up to the recording. A week before the recording, the musicians held a live concert in Montreal, their home town, that was conducted in quarters. They played each side of the album in front of a live audience just to be sure that they would be able to perform for the lathe!!

That wound be me as one of them. heck I bought a few there and the rest they night. Thanks for helping me pick out ANNE bisson
              analog stuff.
              otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
              otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
              sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
              new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
              thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
              thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
              kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
              phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
              speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
              mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
              digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                I noted during the course of the demo that Gary arranged his speakers so they faced straight ahead with no toe-in. Ever curious, I queried Gary about his philosophy of toe-in vs. no toe-in for speaker set-up; that eventually segued into Gary's demonstrating the importance of having precisely levelling your speakers. Precisely in this case pertains to differences on the order of 1/32 of an inch in height between the front of in this case the left and front speaker. Gary's Maestro's are capable of this sort of precision because of their design; the height of each foot is easily adjustable with an allen wrench. Thus knowing the pitch of the screws and the amount of turn(s) (here a 180 degree turn changed the height by 1/32 of inch) allows one to precisely adjust the height of the speaker. Then Gary proceeded to demonstrate the importance of having your speakers leveled (of course front-to-back level can affect image height) by raising the height of the front of the left speaker relative to the right Maestro by 1/32 of an inch. Yes, you read the correctly. A whole 1/32 of an inch! Have you adjusted your speakers to those tolerances? I know I haven't and probably is near impossible with my speakers. Then Gary went back and replayed the "Show Biz Kids" track and my jaw dropped. Image height was reduced by half. The soundstage and images flattened. Tone was just off. Take home message: don't be afraid to try this free tweak (if you haven't already leveled your speakers). Who knows? It might provide some marked improvement in the sound of your system and save you some money!!
                This is because in my design philosophy, the two speakers will define a window into the soundstage, and hence all the images will depend on how clear/clean/accurate this window is. If one pane of the window is distorted, it will distort the images and the soundstage.

By intentionally distorting one "pane" of the window, the result was a distortion to the fidelity of the sound being transmitted by the window. In assembly, we very tightly tolerance the drivers left and right, and each component of the crossover left to right are also tightly toleranced. That way, left and right loudspeakers are as precisely matched as possible.

By raising the front of the left loudspeaker 1/32 of and inch higher than the right loudspeaker, the window is distorted (twisted). The net result is that the 1/32 -inch results in one tweeter moved 4mm relative to the other tweeter. The midrange below the tweeter is moved a bit less - a bit more than 3mm. And so on down all the drivers. That resulted in the tonal and image shift that Myles heard.

In no way did I suggest that the audience would hear a difference as I had two neuroscientists in the audience. They would know that power of suggestion, and at least one of them would have called me out if I had suggested a sonic difference.

Comment

Gary knows how to position dipoles for less reflections, and flatter frequency response of them in the rectangular room. ;-)

Comment

Thank you, Larry Borden for introducing me to another new bunch of audiophiles to terrorize. As always, when I do an event, I will bring a stash of albums that I like to play. I never bring just "demo music". The music has to capture my body and soul before I will use as a demo. But it takes effort. Just playing the latest re-issue or a new album doesn't cut it. As I showed the audience, even with the same stamper, pressed on the same machine, by the same operator, at the same time each day; the formulation of the vinyl used in the record pressing process will change the sound of it. I often have to buy multiple copies, or multiple releases to find a great pressing.

This first album was only pressed once and never re-released. So if you can find it, the sound (in my experience) has always been fabulous. Only the stereo version though.

Name:	Al Grey.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	123870

Released in 1960, it has fabulous tone and dynamics. Al Grey was famous for his mastery of the toilet plunger - which he used to change the tone of his trombone. He did not keep it all to himself though. Grey has a passion for teaching - among his students? Wynton and Delafeyo Marsalis!!

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
                      jonathanhorwich commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Gary, thank you. I forgot about this one. Just ordered it for 10.00 on Discogs.

• garylkoh
                      garylkoh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes - the mono version is usually pretty cheap. The Stereo, on the other hand usually go for big bucks. Dynamic as this album is, a lot of the time the grooves could also be wrecked by the 2 penny trick.

• jonathanhorwich
                      jonathanhorwich commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hopefully it is stereo as it said stereo. I'll see.

Something old...... something new next. Audiophiles always expect female vocal jazz, or may be some light classical. So, I almost always throw in a bit of electronic. For this event, I brought Touch - by the Swiss electronic group Yello. Fantastic bass, a huge (artificial) soundstage and smooth sounds.

Name:	Touch Yello.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	123872

Comment

Originally posted by garylkoh View Post
                      Something old...... something new next. Audiophiles always expect female vocal jazz, or may be some light classical. So, I almost always throw in a bit of electronic. For this event, I brought Touch - by the Swiss electronic group Yello. Fantastic bass, a huge (artificial) soundstage and smooth sounds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Touch Yello.jpg Views:	21 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	123872
                      I was late to the boat on this one. The prices had by the time I found out about had sky rocketed. Today a copy will set you back $165 to 450. Youch.

Yes it is good. Louis Dejardin played a copy of Touch for me at RMAF and it was outstanding on the Goebels/CH system as it was on Gary’s. Louis has a couple of couple of copies of this LP at home but I don’t see any chance of prying one out of his cold, dead hands. 😉

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I was late to the boat on this one. The prices had by the time I found out about had sky rocketed. Today a copy will set you back $165 to 450. Youch.

Yes it is good. Louis Dejardin played a copy of Touch for me at RMAF and it was outstanding on the Goebels/CH system as it was on Gary’s. Louis has a couple of couple of copies of this LP at home but I don’t see any chance of prying one out of his cold, dead hands. 😉
                        Ha ha. That's funny. Those of us at the audio society learned long ago to jump on the internet and try to buy the LP's during the demo. Waiting til you got home to jump on the net and buy a copy only to discover fellow members beat you to the punch. It's turned into a competitive sport.

Comment

Working...
                        X